How often do you CBet a flop that you opened PF?

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am loving this guy's writing. Good info with humor :)

I'm definitely in the "thoughtless c-betting" category. I fire like a madman pretty much all the time. And definitely end up going one and done much too often. But I still get so many folds it's hard to believe slowing down is better.

Cbet: 81.3%
Success:43.6%

Same games just another session, after "working" on cbetting better....

Cbet: 54.4%
Success:48.8%

Not sure that worked out so well.....lol

Last edited:
ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It mostly depends of opponents table image.There is a lot of different situation.If you do c.bet often you may be reraised by opponent who has nothing but has marked you as a bluffer.There is a different types of opponent.There is a players who got a hand but will take risk and just calls your raises to get value.I have played tournament yesterday.I was dealt JJ in middle.Raised 4 blinds and get one caller.On the flop there were lower cards.I got overpair and was confident in win.I bet and get reraised.I pushed all in and loose hand.He has pocket quins, ouch.It occurred early in tournament and I was very disappointed.Because of situations like this one,I think that is better to pass 10-15 hands when you sit down, just for study your opponents.Dont get involved unless you got a monster.

Emrald Onyxx

Emrald Onyxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm definitely in the "thoughtless c-betting" category. I fire like a madman pretty much all the time. And definitely end up going one and done much too often. But I still get so many folds it's hard to believe slowing down is better.

Have you ever just finished a good book about poker with a new strategy that you were just itching to go try out? And then when you get to play, you end up dumping off 2 full buy-ins right off the bat?

It's usually not because the strategy is bad, but rather because it's just not in your comfort zone.

Personally I am still trying to employ more of the style my self, but because I am coming from live to online I tend to lean more to the passive side of the bar and need to become more aggressive postflop as a result. The one and done is my biggest challenge for the moment. I just have a hard time continuing to place chips on a draw.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All of this has been very helpful. I have the bad habit of C-betting everytime I'm the raiser and it's checked to me. Now that I have read this hopefully I'll put more thought into it. Great Great help!!!:) :) :)

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's my *opinion* that people continuation bet entirely too much, especially in LHE. At least, they do it without consideration of the flop texture, opponents propensity to call with nothing, position!, and a host of other variables.

I will say that heads up or very short handed, I'll CB a great deal more often than otherwise. But I routinely see people blindly bet out with nothing into a 9TJ flop with 5 people in the hand, and it's like setting fire to money. Just give some thought to each situation.

K

kmart99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on texture, opponent, and ranges it varies ...but overall I'm cbetting roughly 75-80%

If I hit top pair decent kicker or better
If I hit a draw(even gutshot if it isn't great for villain's range)
If we both have mostly overcard ranges but mine includes big pairs
If villain's FCB is too high

That makes it about 78% cbets over 20k hands

Don't know if this is smart but it works for me

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A cbet % of about 67% is about right. You'll hit the flop about 33% of the time, which means you're bluffing (or semi bluffing) about another 33% of the time. that means, for your opponent, it's a hard decision to know whether to continue with weak hands. Obviously, opponent tendencies and the # of opponents after the flop will affect your decision too.

P

pokervike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm around 65% over the past 3 years.
Success of 47%

My steal attempt in cash games is 42%
in MTT's it's 63%

The amount of soft calling nowadays is so B-I-N-G-O sensitive at damn near any stake and especially 6-max I've actually dropped the attempt number down this summer by ten more points and get the same C-bet success rates.
I play 9-max. I will not NOT play 6-max and C-bet with C-raise has bloated pot sizes way over anybody's threshold of playing appropriate to the pot/stack. I suppose if I were to move down in stakes and become deeper rolled it can make sense.

I'm still wondering why everybody runs to the 6-max tables because of the 'action' when every theory proves percentages about math to poker is that the blinds are unprofitable and steal success is much lower than it used to be. If the 'action' is unpredictable then why run a tight BR into it?

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play a few hands, my stats say that I see the flop less than 15-20% of hands.
so when I play and I've opened the Pot Always Imake a C-Bet connect or not connect with the Flop.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also found this ....... pretty helpful.

Making Better C-Bets

By Daniel Skolovy
Yada, yada, yada.

The main problem with this article, and the previous Daniel Skolovy article, is that he makes too many assumptions.

Remember Your Perceived Range, Too
Try and get into your opponent's shoes. Think about what he thinks you have. If it appears the flop is unlikely to have helped you, you should be less inclined to continuation bet.

An example: you raise from MP and get called by a player on the button. The flop comes 3
h.gif
d.gif
s.gif
. Your bet isn't going to be given respect because the vast majority of the time you will have missed this flop completely.

Continuation bets work most often when flops come that look like they would help a pre-flop raiser.
When playing rec-fish, they aren't thinking about what you have at all. Hell, they're barely thinking about what they have, and this is an example of a hit or miss flop. Fire off a c-bet and they're gonna fold if they don't have a three. Rec-fish aren't playing Poker; they're playing Group Solitaire.

As for leveling, I know -- at most -- three players who can level, and I'm still not sure of that third guy. Even the first two still haven't realized that they're playing me at Level-2 and I'm playing them at Level-3. As for the others, they're working at Level-1 at best, and Level-0 for the most part.

If you make a habit out of continuation betting and then giving up when called, your opponents will take notice. They will start calling your raises in position, calling your flop bet and just taking the pot away from you on the turn.
No they won't. I've played with the same line-up for over a year and their game hasn't changed one iota in all that time. There are a few exceptions, but those who have shown improvement, I can count 'em on one hand with fingers left over. Even these players have leaks galore. They still open limp, and the one who's shown the most improvement overplays over pairs and TPTK.

You c-bet, Mr. Fof calls and you know he's got something, so you fold to his turn bet. Time and time again, he shows something to some other fish who called after you fold. You're not gonna get exploited by fish who aren't paying you (or any other player) any attention whatsoever. Just last night, the nittiest player I've ever seen took down an impressive win. I mean, this guy never played except if he had the big blind and wasn't raised. As for his raising range, it was (A,A). Period. He raised three times, got called, and every time that's what he had: pocket rockets.

I've done the same thing myself: run card dead for a half dozen orbits, finally get a playable hand that smashes the flop, and still get paid off. They haven't noticed that I haven't played a hand in an hour or more.

Skolovy is assuming your opponents can think, but you're not playing in the Big Game with wsop bracelet holders. You're playing against opponents who think "equity" has something to do with real estate, "range" is something you cook on or where cowboys work, and "pot odds" is soup that got burnt when it stayed on the range too long. They'll call when their stacks have dwindled down to less than five BBs with very speculative hands, they'll bet without regard for SPR, their bet sizing defies explanation.

When it comes to c-betting, if in doubt, just do it. Rec-fish aren't thinking players, and the chances you're being exploited are between slim and none, and much closer to the latter than the former.

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very good question i think. of course it depends on many variables but generally if i hit i bet 95% of the time. if i don't then it depends on who i am playing against, at what stage of the tournament i am and how many chips i have!

F

fishyfishh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cbet ALMOST every time. When raising preflop, the player must almost always assume that you have a better hand than him. So assuming that he believes this, or that you actually do, almost every flop is going to look intimidating to him or them. Remember, when a flop scares you, it usually scares others too. And if they think you have a better hand, and they miss the flop (which odds are pretty strong that they will), then a nice hefty cbet will get them to fold. There are some rare cases tho where a cbet might not be the best move, but thats less than 5% of the time for me. Also, cbet sizing can vary. Depending on your evaluation of the board and their hand, adjust your bet according to what i've gone over.

L

leon_fush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, in 90% of cases I will continue to bet, hoping to strengthen the hand or to steal the blinds,if Aki is resisting with a raise and the Board is no chance you will throw away cards,but it's all on the situation.

bellybuster7

bellybuster7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50-60%and if the figure is much higher then the opponent has to be that to Use GL FH ;):)

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MAybe too often then I should !!!
However, it depends on villian do you play against. If VPIP is normal size, u can Cbet on him. Or better make NICE HURE raise or re-raise on PREFLOP, to see how strong our opponent is. Then flop give us more fold EV.

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am usually c-betting, raising or check-raising the flop just for information. I find that (at least at the micros, which is where I play) players tend to be very scared after a hefty 3-bet preflop and a check-raise on the flop.

In case I connect - great, I have already built up the pot for myself. If I don't, however, there still is a chance that my opponent also hasn't (as much as he intends to perhaps).

Well, it's a double-edged sword, since I play my bluffs exactly the way I play my made hands, I can make significant profit, but also lose a good amount.

Then it comes down to picking spots. If you are passive enough and build your table image as a TAG player, your bluffs might work out more. If you want to have your made hands to be called down more - you got to give some EV back to the table by bluffing more often.

In short, it's about position selection, table image and knowing your opponents. The cards aren't even that important.

Well, then again, poker is a cruel game at times, so stay strong!

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Almost all the time, just to see where I am, if I check someone is likely to bet and if I figure I'll call, then why not take a shot first and see if they fold.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I can't answer the frequency, but I know that many times.

As I play low limits, many opponents come in hand just to see the flop, then the CBET remains a magical tool.

K

kmart99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The general population is cbetting ~75% of hands right now. There was a time when this was pretty optimal, but if you ever want to compete at 50NL or higher you simply can't cbet this wide.

Against really nitty fish ~75% (cbetting all your middle to top pairs or better, OESDs, FDs, BDFDs, OESFDs, GSSDs,and boards that give you range advantage)
Against most tables from 10NL to 25NL ~ 50-60% (cbetting all top pairs or better, OESDs, FDs, OESFDs, 1/2 GSSDs)
Against 50NL or higher ~40% (cbetting strong top pairs or better, 1/2 FDs, all OESDs, all OESFDs, 1/4 GSSDs) Checking your middling top pairs to protect your check range. Or you'll get eaten alive.

gmctti

gmctti

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very intersting post!!!
well..
I find I will fire a c-bet approx 50% of the time. Depends on board of course and never into more than 2 other players.

K

kmart99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never raise for information. Ever. I never cbet for info either.

If I'm cbetting, betting, or raising it is always because I want worse hands to call, or I want better hands to fold. I will get the information after the fact, but that is not a reason to bet. IMO.

champyun

champyun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great info. Thanks for sharing all.