How does a player improve?

H

Hell-Raiser

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm a struggling $1/$3 nlhe live player.

How does a player like me improve at the tables?

I've been playing for 14 months now, and have learned a lot from other players, and from finding myself in the same spots.

I have between 1200-1500 hours of playing time in this span. I'm not sure how many hands that converts to, but I still find it hard to string together multiple winning sessions in a row, consistently.

Is experience, plus trial and error the most valuable way?

Could you recommend the avenues that I should pursue, and books that will help my game?

How did you go from a losing player to a winning one?

Last edited:
jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I have been playing on and off for over ten years, and have over 500,000 hands played, and im still loosing player, sometimes I am unlucky and sometimes I just play badly and only after a session do I realize it. And I play because it gives me pleasure. And maybe one day I will be able to overcome my weaknesses and start playing my best poker game. And the best teacher is your opponent, when you play badly you get punished. So to learn, you need to analyze your hands after the session to see if you would play them the same way again

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
In my experience,If you for whatever reason cant focus on playing your best game for example your tired,had a bad beat when playing, take a break for at least ten minutes in total silence and then bring your best game back to the table.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SES Inc.

SES Inc.

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
play, play and play some more. The wins will come but remember there is a lot o f luck and magic in the game.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Play online for training basic strategy. If you can beat even the lowest cash games online you can often beat 10X that level Live.

That and of course training on reading people and what tells they give. And at the same time training not to give any information off yourself.

Here is one YT-Channel that specializes in Live Play: https://www.youtube.com/@CrushlivePoker

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I've been playing for 14 months now, and have learned a lot from other players, and from finding myself in the same spots.

I have between 1200-1500 hours of playing time in this span. I'm not sure how many hands that converts to, but I still find it hard to string together multiple winning sessions in a row, consistently.

Could you recommend the avenues that I should pursue, and books that will help my game?

Most players will never be winning players. Its not that you cant but many don't ever really become that good.

Most pros will tell you over the long term they will win 2 times to every losing session they have. Its hard to put winning sessions together.

You say your learning a lot for other players. Who are these players? remember they're may only be 1 or 2 at the table you playing at. Also when playing one issue you will see is group think. Just because many players at your table play a certain way does not mean they are playing the best way.

What way to learn is a personal one. I started with books and then went to training sites and to a private coach. It really depends on what your looking for but more important that what way you go is the effort you put into it. I know people who spent lots of money for training they would put a hour or 2 of study into the game each week. That not good enough. I personally have been putting in 10 to 20 hours a week.

As for what way to go, I would suggest really thinking about what you want to achieve. I would also suggest you think hard about how much work you are willing to put into the game and how much your willing to invest in yourself. And i am not necessary talking about money.

PM me if you have any questions.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
studying and practicing always, is the best way to learn and improve every day in our game.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

If you are struggling in this stake maybe it would be wiser to slow down your horses and move down to a stake where you certainly be more profitable.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think that in 14 months you can learn to play decently only if you are trained by strong coaches. It is simply not possible to learn by yourself, by trial and error, during this time.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to improve quickly is to learn from someone else.

There's lots of free resources on YouTube from really high quality coaches. Try and find one that coaches to your level and go from there. I would advise against talking a bunch of strategy with people stuck in the same place as you, it's good to ask some questions to get an idea what your peers think in certain spots but you also want to have better players to ask as that's how you're going to get better. Post hands in communities like Cardschat, try and give as much of your thought process as you played the hand and then point out things that made you think twice when you we're creating your post. Look for community members who give thoughtful comments on the posts they engage with and try and learn from them. Try and figure out where their though processes differ from yours and ask lots of questions.

From there there's lots of amazing tools on the market that you can go on to use and improve your game with. At this point with the technology out there the limit is pretty much endless, it's just about how much time you want to invest

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Follow the best coaches in your country or who speak your same language and thus learn.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you are struggling in this stake maybe it would be wiser to slow down your horses and move down to a stake where you certainly be more profitable.
In most countries this ^ is the lowest stake they have (more often it is $1/$2)

Maybe OP could benefit by playing a bunch online before heading back to the LIVE tables (although the play is quite a bit different... ie. open-raises to 7x with 3 callers is not unusual in live games )

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start studying with some advanced courses to learn more about the game. You have enough experience playing poker, hence your learning curve will be steep.

I always feel it is necessary to put some work away from the tables in your game.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
by putting all effort in improving and also always reminded that you are not the best player out there, keep on being hungry in learning:)

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
By playing a lot, and spending a lot of money at first

I

Ivojesus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
It's a good question and the answer is serious by studying with books and strategies, also by self-analyzing our hands.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
You have to study. If you have time to play then you have time to study. Have an open mind when studying. Remember you don’t know what you don’t know. If you are struggling, find out what you are doing wrong and get to studying. Start here with the 30 day course and then go more in depth with the study.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that books are from the last century, you need to work with programs - solver, etc.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some easy ways to improve are:
1. Post hands for others to review
2. Join a training site
3. Get a poker coach
4. Review your hands after play
5. Table/Game select better - ie look up the players before you play
6. Take better/more notes
7. Get a study buddy/join a study group
8. Ask the CC pros questions
9. Take an online poker course
10. Read a poker book
11. Study with a GTO solver
12. Study with an ICM tool like ICMizer

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'm gonna be the blunt object sry.

You cannot learn optimally by playing a spot
in this spot you have 2 cards
and your opponent has 2 cards
and their is a timer

in this same spot OFF the table
you have over1200 combos
your opponent as well 1200 combos

and no timer

you cannot learn many things while playing
such as how many of those combos proceed and the %'s and statistics of those values against the flop

equity is just the first layer
expected value and fold equity variations for every combo available
make it a very intricate game

if you would study 1000 hours off the table
theres nothing those players would be able to teach you

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I self-study now
Using Chat GPT and I am currently in the works to get a licensed Super version.

I can't play poker
It's illegal here

So I study and study and study

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The only way to learn is to play, and if you are losing money, then the quicker you learn, the better. You can learn how to Fly from reading books and using Software on a computer, but until you get off the ground you are never going to truly fly!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Discipline and willpower, honesty and intelligence and control of emotions and remembering what is happening.