Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing a 1/2 NLH Live Cash Game.
I've got $300.
I'm in the BB hold 9d 4d
Folds around to the Low Jack. Low Jack raises to $5.00.
Folds around to the Button. Button calls. SB folds. I call.
FLOP: 9h Kc 4s. Pot: $17.
I bet $15. LJ raises to $30. Button calls. I call
Turn: 8d (9h Kc 4s 8d). Pot: $107.00
I bet $70.00. LJ calls. Button calls.
River: 6h (9h Kc 4s 8d 6h) Pot: $317.00
I move All In for $180. LJ thinking and says "I have to call". Button folds.
LJ show KhKd.
Damn.
With a micro bet pre flop I felt comfortable defending my blind.
On the Flop I feel like I'm good and make the bet. I was not afraid of the raise and made the call. No big pre flop bet I was guessing LJ had something like K 10 or some other Kx holding. I felt like the Button may have been on a draw.
On the turn I made the $70 bet. With both the LJ and Button calling I still felt I may have had a slight edge.
On the River I thought if I checked it would show weakness. Also with the 6h I could represent the straight. So all in I go.
Did I misplay too badly?
With the micro pre flop Raise I was not figuring on a big pocket pair. Was this read wrong?
Was the $70 bet on the turn too small?
Looking forward to your opinions.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Pre
Just fold. Yes you are getting good odds but out of position with a bad hand multiway is not where you want to be.

Flop
Great flop, but why do you donk for pot! Far better to check raise. An observant opponent will cbet you relentlessly if you donk all your best hands. When lojack min raises you need to be at least a bit concerned. Yes it could be AK or KQ but there arwnt many draws so a good chance its K9s or a set (some people would play K4s too). Also concerned when the button comes along too. Obviously a call is still fine

Turn
Again you should check here, likely calling a bet. Donking again and then getting two calls, I would be very concerned you are beat.

River
It's an ok run out, but this is way too thin to shove for value based on the action in the hand so far.

Results
Not a huge surprise that you ran into the set. Maybe you get stacked anyway if you check raise flop instead if that's of any comfort, but I think you played this badly I'm afraid.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Preflop - Just fold those if for nothing else for the sole reason of such events happening. Way to many times you actually hit something with a hand like that and feel to confident just to lose a whole pot in the end.
Flop - You hit nicely but still no where near nuts. I don't mind the bet, but it gets us in a sticky situation. With check raising we would have been able to better evaluate what our opponents might have or at least how strong their hands might be. With us betting here we are just guessing and we put ourselves in situation where we don't bet on turn and show weakness.
Turn - With them calling I get a bit nervous here. One of them could simply have a better 2 pair. Board also presents us with a lot of straight draws. Even if I'm showing weakness here I'm at most check calling and controlling the pot in this situation.
River - A lot more straight options here and with opponent calling us on 2 of our bets already I'd assume if he didn't have us beat before he has us beat now. So we are just banking on our 3 roll bluff in this case to work. Personally I'm check folding here. There is no point in losing more money as I don't see bluffs working a lot of times in this situation. If he checks behind me cool, I can see the hands and in some strange cases I win, if not I fight another battle.

T

troubledman

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you Gents.
The more I thought about the hand, the more I see how I could have played that much better.
I will now be more aware of that micro raise preflop from late positions.
Thanks again for the honesty of your view points

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have to agree with Station_Master and Sopt - poorly played.
In my opinion, calling Pre-Flop was a mistake. Fold for three reasons.
One - these cards have only flush potential (and a weak one at that) and an extremely week straight draw.
Two - LJ and Button both in for the $5 raise - both hands likely much better than you off the mark.
Three - your position is bad news. You are forced to act first for the next three streets.
Since you decided to mix it up with the LJ and Button, calling shows weakness. I would have raised to $17 (3x the raise + $2 for the one limper ahead of you.) That might have convinced the Button to fold, but LJ would most certainly go along with the second best starting hand.
The flop totally destroys you, even though it looks like a miracle catch. LJ is going nowhere with the set of Kings.
Your $15 bet on the flop makes sense, but LJ probably made a mistake by only raising you to $30. I would have raised to at least $60.
All-in-all - not your best hand, but then, you've asked for comments and I believe you got good advice from Station_Master and Sopt.
Hope I contributed a bit as well.
Best of luck at the tables.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands