Heads up Play

S

ScooTizzle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up Play: What hands should you play when your opponet makes a min raise preflop and your out of position

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your oponent and what hands they tend to make such raises with. Some people will raise with any two cards, and against them you should make more calls, and even reraises, pretty much regardless of what you're holding. If, however, your opponent tends not to raise with weak hands, only call if you have a relativly strong hand, or at the very least a hand that could become much stronger post flop and you can afford it. my opinion at least.

oh and by min raise, do you mean the 2xBB raise? i've never understood that play. my advice remains the same though.

-n

Last edited:
tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OMG this is a good one. If its a good player watch out. I NEVER min raise, unless........... Im in the SB with AA or KK ( against the BB in a folded table), or heads up with AA or KK. If hes a poor(ish) player, take it as a silly silly bet.

mattisme

mattisme

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the great advice i never thought to do that

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this the first hand of the game? It depends on your opponents habits.
Also, is thise ring our tournaments? Because that makes a big difference as you're deeper stacked in rings so you have better implied odds.

I'll assume this is a HU tournament...

First the obvious: If he min-raises every time he's the button your range is wider than if he's only been limping each button.

I'm petty much raising an additional 1.5 bb's every time I'm on the button. If the opponent calls a lot then I may occasionally fold especially weak HU hands (like 4/2) pre-flop from the button.

So if you were up against someone like me, you can re-raise with just about anything (especially if you had been folding a lot) and I'm only likely to call or re-raise with A/9+ or 9/9+ or K/Js or Q/J or that sort of stuff.

For the most part, I'd re-raise a min-better with any pocket-pair and any Q\x+ type hand. Suited connectors work well as a semi-bluff as well. If he comes back over the top I'll probably fold the smaller pairs like 8/8 or less as it's a coin flip at best and I'd rather play more hands against a villain that take a flip.

The only time I'd vary from that range would be if he was opening to 3bb as standard, and then he suddenly changed to 2bb. That seems like he's begging to get us in the pot. If he starts doing it often, then he's probably just weak and you can start re-raising to chase him off those hands.