Harrington on Holdem: The Workbook

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rugby, how often do you play live? and how big do you play for? I wouldn't bother ordering those unless you play live fairly regularly and for a decent amount as well. Mainly because, they will not apply at all to an online player, and also because for someone that is playing lower stakes games, you probably need to work on other aspect of your game to sniff out your opponents such as betting patterns and hand movement. The poker player that should get something like this is the one who is playing against the people who have corrected their leaks in betting patterns and body movement, and they are looking for one last edge.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just finished reading HoH Tournament strategy guide, book 2 (yes, I’m new to poker… wipe that smirk off your face).

I'm NOT new to poker and I'm still reading everything I can get my hands on. Don't ever stop learning.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read HOH a few months ago when i was just starting to play pokerand it helped me a lot.

I don't think you need o be an advenced player to understand the concepts of the book.

Super system for example it's a book for advanced players i think, i read it also a few months ago and i didn't knew what to do about it. I mean that i couldn't use the book to improve my game.

I think you should try to apply the concepts of HOH in your tournament play, the guy knows what he's talking about.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just came across this thread today. i would love to do this with you. my problem is i lent my book to someone. i vaguely remember some of the hands. hand1 i think SCs w/no implied odds and not sure you got position. fold. hand2 i'm a little foggy but think if you raise w/AQ you may only narrow the calls down to hands that beat you. and fold out hands that you got beat. eg you raise he will call or raise w/AK but may fold the hands you got beat AJ,AT. if i'm in position and likely to have it though out the hand i most likely call instead of raising. if i were in the blinds here i may try to take it down with a raise here if i saw the early position raiser fold before this. hand3 i didnt read though but i'll be calling my buddy to get that book back soon.

another great book dont know if its too advanced or not but "winning tournament one hand at a time vol.1" is by far the best tournament poker book made IMO. its lets you into the mind sets of 3 different on-line pros.

Last edited:
8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice gents.

Cardplayer52 I like your straightforward answer to problem 1. Not sure you have postion with no implied odds on a below average hand, sounds like a fold to me too.

I like the advice about not raising the hands you have dominated in problem two (you definitely want those chaps to hang around). Sounds like a good reason to limp behind. One thing that really bugs me in MTT's is letting the blinds see a free flop with a random weak hand that ends up beating your above avreage hand that could even win without improving had the blinds not been involved.

Lata, Michael

B

bobsay225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey guys I have hoh #3 on my puter if anyone needs I can probably send to ya in email if ur system can handle it just pm me I guess I downloaded from limewire checked for viruses its clean:) :) :) I use adobe 7 reader for it thats a free download

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As we are talking books can anyone help me find the mett/sett books that were privately published early 2000. I understand that these are the secert weapon for the pro's. thanks

Google Mett/Sett

I've read the HoH books 1 & 2, at least 2 times, maybe more, and every time it is like I never read them before. And each time my game (and thus my BR) improves.:D

Last edited:
john003

john003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm NOT new to poker and I'm still reading everything I can get my hands on. Don't ever stop learning.

I forgot what pro said it, but whom ever I'm quoting "as players, we're always learning" hit the nail on the head.

HoH is very good stuff. Finishing up on Book 2 now. Will report back when I have Book 3 feedback to add...

Although maybe not, like you I rarely post for fear of embarrassment. =P

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad news: played for 12 hours yesterday through till this morning. Went deep in all three of the tourneys I chose to play in BR allowing.

So irritated with myself-and I have a new found respect for those poker giants who can beat these big tourneys.

Daily Dollar rebuy: 4800 entrants was coming 60th until my JJ ran into an AQ and got knocked at 320th for $7.85. First place payed over $3K.

2 Dollar double stack tourney: 1200 Entrants got short stacked at the end and my AJs ran into AKs allin preflop. Came 23rd for $7.

And the real dissapointing one because I played better than I have ever played before: Was three betting from postion with KJ A8 and taking down early position raisers preflop. Daily Dollar: 11 200 entrants (huge) was coming 9th and like a royal dumbazz idiot I decided to defend my blind against the chip leader with a check raise on the flop and an allin on the turn. Got called by mid pair (YES I'M A DUMBAZZ). Eliminated in 51st postion for 15 dollars.

All my knowledge just flew out the window. To maintain focus and concentration and make quality decisions for 12 hours is hard.

Stupid poker and extremely pissed off with myself. Back to the books with no reward this weekend either.

N

nobby1510

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great comments here.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get any of these books in the uk. I can't afford to buy them straight from shops but they certainly are hard to find in our libraries and you never see poker books at discount/charity shops or sales.

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I satyed in the U.K. for a couple years but I wasn't playing poker back then. I wouldnt be able to tell you if it were easy or not.

I'm lucky because there's one huge bookstoore here that has most of the popular books on the market. Sklanksy, Doyle, Harrington and some other big names. The rest of the books Amazon solves my problem.

There are some people from the U.K. who could help you. Theres one thread in the poker rooms section about an extra ticket for residents of the U.K. They could help you out.

Lata

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem 4: Negreanu VS Farha

I'm back on track after a dissapointing weekend. It's amazing how reading and learning about the game can put the spark back into your enthusiasm.

Problem 4 for me was really a great insight into how aggressive players think and I enjoyed working through it.

A bit long I know, but, I store most of these comments in a slip file so I dont want to be cutting corners. Some things aren't here because they come straight out of the book (bad, bad, I know).

I’m in third position as Daniel Negreanu with suited connectors. I would raise 2.5BB and not the 3BB that Harrington recommends.
When I get reraised and good pot odds because of Farha tagging along on the button as well, I would make the call. With most people raising in online poker you can sometimes sense that it’s AK if you’ve been watching and then noticing how the hand develops, so it’s still fair game. And if he did have aces or kings I’m getting great implied odds with this hand (he might not be able to let go of a big pair even when it’s obvious he’s beaten).

I flop the nut straight so I’m happy. I would check here and see what the other players do on a low board with 2 spades. If the preflop raiser plays aggressively I can now put him on his big pair. He doesn’t, so I put him on AK as he checks behind me. It gets to Farha and he bets almost the entire pot. What hands can he possibly have to bet almost the entire pot is the question?

If I think the player is good, I generally put them on a semi-bluff when they bet a board like this. If this is the case and I think it is a semi-bluff then I switch my play to defending my made hand. I don’t slow play like Negreanu chooses to do. If I only win 2000 here because I raise — so be it. That is much better than going out, IMO. My typical move in online play is to reraise enough so that if the turn card is not a spade I can get my stack in before the river card comes down (most people will not call an allin with one card to come on a flush draw). That’s what I would do. But let’s continue with the hand that Harrington is talking about.

These two guys are amazing. When the king comes down Negreanu bets half the pot. I think he was trying to get the preflop raiser to tag along with an AK and really build a big pot. When Farha just makes the call, do you put him on the spade draw?
In most games online I always give people credit for the flush draw because I used to be the same (two suited cards, cool, I wanna see a flop)—until I learnt that it only helps you about an extra 3% to be suited.

As the hand goes to the river and Negreanu checks when the flush card hits, what would I do if Farha put me allin? I would call against an aggressive player. I tend to bluff a flushed board if it gets checked to me.

I also tend to check to an aggressive player who I think will bluff at a flushed board when I’m holding the nut flush. If he bluffs with enough of his chips he might commit himself to the pot. When I come over the top they generally just make the call and I double up (missed value if they check behind—so I had better be certain about my opponent being capable of bluffing).

Harrington says that it is theoretically correct to fold this 89 suited in 3rd position and I believe him. How many times will you be throwing this hand away before it becomes profitable? I don’t know, but I believe Harrington when he says it’s a solid fold which makes your decisions easier.

However, I am playing within my bankroll and I’m learning to be an aggressive player. If the blinds are worth the effort, I want the experience of playing these kinds of hands. So I would play it just for the learning experience. Getting this experience will also help my post flop play: I will have to get better at putting people on hands and thinking through the actions. When I move up in stakes I want my post-flop decisions to be instinctive.

The discussion on the hand by Harrington is very cool. I read it a couple times just for the gold nuggets of wisdom he gives. The explanations he gives about the reasons behind Negreanu’s and Farah’s actions are super. This is how aggressive players think, and I want to be a tough aggressive opponent, so I have to learn how to think in this way.

Hope to see some comments here!

Lata, Michael

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Does anyone know how easy it is to get any of these books in the uk. I can't afford to buy them straight from shops but they certainly are hard to find in our libraries and you never see poker books at discount/charity shops or sales.

Ebay?

People don't tend to sell these books so there aren't all that many going second hand.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ebay?

People don't tend to sell these books so there aren't all that many going second hand.

What are you talking about? Check Amazon.com, Amazon.com: Used and New: Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategies for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. III--The Workbook (Harrington on Hold'em) (the link inserted, but Amazon was doing something stupid), right now there are 19 Used ones, not to mention a lot of ones in New condition starting at only like $18. I have gotten most of my books used offline. The only time I haven't has been when I have a ~40% off coupon for Borders.

Last edited:
Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you talking about? Check Amazon.com(link goes right to the buying page), right now there are 19 Used ones, not to mention a lot of ones in New condition starting at only like $18. I have gotten most of my books used offline. The only time I haven't has been when I have a ~40% off coupon for Borders.

So out of the tens of thousands of copies sold, there are 19 going second hand on Amazon.

I'm going to stick with what I said... people don't tend to sell them second hand.

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I wouldnt sell mine... every time I pick it up I find some new information about something I took for granted. For example, I flicked through the HoH 1 today and reread the section of "elements of a hand." Absolutely priceless.

But I can imagine that there are a few who bought it and never read it. Then decide to sell them. Only like 10% of books sold are actually read according to Anthony Robbins.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stu, I'm not going to disagree with you that most people don't sell them, but a lot of the books that are on Amazon aren't individuals selling books, but book warehouses selling them. In fact, I don't think a lot of people sell very many of their books at all, regardless of what they are about. I, for example, have only sold my textbooks online when I was in school, and that was because I didn't read them the first time, why would I need to keep them(also they were expensive as hell, sold them for beer money ;))

I know I would never sell a book, just for the fact of wanting to reference back to it later on down the road, whether it be a poker book or Angels and Demons, lol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Bad news: played for 12 hours yesterday through till this morning. Went deep in all three of the tourneys I chose to play in BR allowing.

So irritated with myself-and I have a new found respect for those poker giants who can beat these big tourneys.

Daily Dollar rebuy: 4800 entrants was coming 60th until my JJ ran into an AQ and got knocked at 320th for $7.85. First place payed over $3K.

2 Dollar double stack tourney: 1200 Entrants got short stacked at the end and my AJs ran into AKs allin preflop. Came 23rd for $7.

And the real dissapointing one because I played better than I have ever played before: Was three betting from postion with KJ A8 and taking down early position raisers preflop. Daily Dollar: 11 200 entrants (huge) was coming 9th and like a royal dumbazz idiot I decided to defend my blind against the chip leader with a check raise on the flop and an allin on the turn. Got called by mid pair (YES I'M A DUMBAZZ). Eliminated in 51st postion for 15 dollars.

All my knowledge just flew out the window. To maintain focus and concentration and make quality decisions for 12 hours is hard.

Stupid poker and extremely pissed off with myself. Back to the books with no reward this weekend either.

no reward this weekend either
the 'reward' imo is the actualy play.... playing for 12hrs. is a great oppurtunity for working on one's game. Hey... at least you cashed in them. If you haven't experienced it already, there'll be times when you'll play larger-field mtt's and will go 20 in-a-row with zero cashes. I used to expect to cash in about 1 in every 4 I played.... then the bad runs began, lol. Today I try to play 'without expectation'... all I can do is play each & every hand to the best of my ability, which for me often translates to >> if something really shit happens, I need to move on... as in 'right now' or I will be playing less than optimally (<< still hard for me to do but always working on it).

I have a new found respect for those poker giants who can beat these big tourneys
when someone goes deep in a large-field MTT, you can be assured that things went their way on more than one occassion (meaning, winning some key flips, or hitting sets on flops (hopefully more than 1 in 8) and getting paid off to opponent's TPTK or Big Overpr, having 80/20's hold a good 80% of the time (lol), etc. etc..

Unfortunate for you to have ran fairly deep in 3 tourneys at the same time but without a big cash in any of them... 'patience'... it'll come... some day. On the other hand, I've seen some HUGE donkeys get a few HUGE cashes..... which boggles my mind.... getting it in as 10to1dogs on the turn and coming out w the miracle card a bit too often, lol..
I try to look at each game for the experience of it,.... trying not to look at the money outcome but to just stay focused on playing poker. When I get caught up in the money.... my game suffers whether I realize it or not. For sure it can be discouraging... for me, learning to play better is also about not letting myself get discouraged (<<< can ya tell I've been on a bad run lately? hee hee... Argh!!, lol).

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice PO! It was a good opportunity to work on my game, and I have to learn from the experience and move on with new experiential knowledge. A friend of mine told me to write a note for myself for the next time I go fairly deep (don’t be loose aggressive against bigger stacks that can knock you out! Only play premium hands against them), I don’t know if that is good advice in the heat of battle. Maybe the big stack is just running hot and that’s why he’s chip leader, so maybe it is good advice.

I’ve definitely gone on those long streaks without getting paid—that’s why I was so discouraged because I felt it was my time to get paid for my efforts. But again, at least I cashed and added a little to my BR.

There’s a quote from Sklansky that I keep in one of my slip files that stands out for me when I get discouraged, it helps if I’m playing more than one tourney at a time and get rivered in one. I get that tight frustrated feeling in my stomach and I begin to think thoughts like: well if that happened in that game then I’m not going to do well in this one. But, Sklansky says “ignore the results and focus on making decisions that maximize your expectation” and my favourite “the cards dealt on any poker hand are, for practical purposes, completely random and independent of the cards dealt on any previous hand.”

I wanted to ask a question PO. But since it’s unrelated to most of this thread I Will PM when I have the time tomorrow.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Actually one of the best poker / gambling bookshops is in the U.K it's called high stakes bookshop they have everything and they a pretty nice people, I have a bought a few titles from them as they wern't available in Denmark.

http://www.highstakes.co.uk/shop/

Good luck book hunting....

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem 4: those Damn early limpers

There’s a thread in the strategy section asking about the possible hands of an early limper. Dan points out that from a strong player you can assume he has two high cards or a medium pair, and from a weak player you wait for more information because he could have anything.

With a pair of sixes on the button I would also just call the early limper. Dan Considers the M (stack size to blind ratio) of both players getting involved in the hand to assist with the decision process. Note to self: restudy the Zones and what cards to play in each zone. Do you want to isolate or play multi-way?

The size of my bet at the moment is a little different to Dan. I know he says half the pot is the sweet spot giving you the best odds. But, at the low MTT stakes that I play at the half pot bet ALWAYS GETS CALLED. So I bet around two thirds of the pot most of the time. And again, I try and consider the player I’m up against and whether he is capable of check raising. If my table image has been tight—and it normally is—I will tend to get away with the C-bet of two thirds the pot.

On a side-note: what do you guys do if he calls your C-bet on the flop-then you check the turn after another over-card to your pair appears (showing weakness)—then he pot bets the river? This is not part of the problem but this keeps happening if I don’t double barrel. I think I should put aside 10 dollars just see what this play actually means. I will play 10 one dollar tourneys just to see what the villain has when he pot bets the river after I check the turn.

The two questions Dan asks about whether to bet the turn after a blank comes are almost the same as the three questions to ask yourself whether or not to bet into a river (last problem, but I did not post):

Question 1: “if my opponent has a hand that beats me, can my bet get him to fold?”
Question 2: “if my opponent has a hand that I’m beating, will he call my bet?”

The solution to this problem was light years ahead of my poker thinking. When I’m involved in a hand I don’t think as deeply as this guy. The questions he asks himself about whether to bet, check, call/fold, or raise are priceless. The abstract questions he asks about the risk-reward ratio of a play are also amazing.

Well I’m sure there are experienced players who have this level of thinking taking place at light speed. Most games I play are quick and the decisions are instant.

What did I learn?
Slow down. Consider the options. Slow down and think. Why are you doing this? Slow down!!! What is the risk/reward ratio of this move and do you actually have the best of it if you make this play?

Lata, Michael

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem 6: Hand Ranges

Problem 6 was really an in depth look at how to put your opponents on a range of hands. Starting with the call preflop and the information gathered throughout the hand it becomes easier to define your opponent’s hand. It was easier for Zeidman to decide on a hand range because Harman was in early position and is seen as a conservative player.

As I expected, Harman played her QQ perfectly. She got a little lucky on the turn and then unlucky on the river.

As Dan pointed out, Zeidman wasn’t getting the implied odds to play his hand after an early position raise with a handful of players still to act behind him.

When the BB called with a low ACE Dan pointed out that it was likely that he was dominated or drawing dead because of the early position raise. Ask yourself this question if you are tempted to play a small ace out of position: “what flop are you hoping to see with it?”

The three reasons to bet almost the size of the pot after the flop were invaluable: Get money in; deny expressed odds to draw; and a hand that calls you already has something-which makes it easier to put them on a hand.

After listing a couple of possible hands, remember to narrow it down to the most likely holdings and then play accordingly.

The negative freeroll comment: Remember to bet your hand on the river because if you check it is a theoretical mistake. If he checks behind with a second best hand you have missed value.

Lata, Michael

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The solution to this problem was light years ahead of my poker thinking. When I’m involved in a hand I don’t think as deeply as this guy. The questions he asks himself about whether to bet, check, call/fold, or raise are priceless. The abstract questions he asks about the risk-reward ratio of a play are also amazing.

Well I’m sure there are experienced players who have this level of thinking taking place at light speed. Most games I play are quick and the decisions are instant

It is good that you're 'thinking'... alot of players in the micros don't.
The reasoning and analysis that Dan uses in his books you will one day find to be quite elementary.... thinking along these lines (& beyond) will become second nature (and much deeper... ie. what is he thinking that I'm thinking he's thinking... etc.etc. << you can actually take that one alot further obv.).

Although as you say.."most games I play are quick and the decisions are instant".. it is still always advisable to take a moment or two prior to acting... even if you're pretty damn sure of your decision.
Reviewing one's hand histories through an auto-hand-replayer is also a great tool for learning. There's something about looking at one's own play from a more objective viewpoint.. 'after the fact'.. when zero emotion is involved (obviously are goal is to play without emotion but this is often much easier said than done).
Regularly check the "Last Hand hand history" on a table you're on, to better gain insight into how your opponent(s) play in certain situations. Things just keep coming together as you progress in your MTT play... ie. note-taking, hand-reading skills, putting players on ranges, etc. etc., etc. Some days I'll be on Skype with friends, watching them play in MTT's, then telling them what their hand is after seeing them play the flop... sometimes not as accurate until the turn. I think it's just stuff that comes with time, after looking for things, learning about things, and playing a zillion hands, lol.
Not to knock Dan's stuff as they are great books imo (a must for anyone getting into MTT play) but there'll come a time when you're questioning some of Dan's moves/plays in his books (especially with SNG play). It is great stuff to help with one's own thought processes though for sure.

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks P.O. Since I took his advice and actually slowed down for a moment or two to think about what I was doing and what my opponent was trying to do, my game has improved considerably. Obviously there's not much I can do about bad beats.

I'm getting very comfortable with the aggressive approach as my poker thinking is improving. I have started to notice a couple of flaws in my game from looking at the last hand function-and most of my flaws come down to acting first and thinking second. Trying to blufff a person off a hand without thinking of the long term strategy of my game.

A friend of mine was watching me the other day and he noticed something about my game: he said I should be unwilling to gamble it up on coinflips because I tend to gather chips on a consistent basis more than the other players at the table (Weak table-low stakes). When I raise the Blind and C bet against a weak table there is no need to get all my chips in on a coinflip. And alot of my C betting has improved because of thinking about what hand I'm trying to represent and what possible hand I was called preflop by.

By the way If you can reccomend anything to improve my thinking even further and faster -I'M ALL EARS. PM

What stakes do you play MTT? Next time you playing a couple of sessions let me know so that I can watch. The part of my game that needs the most improvement is whan I get deep. When there are a 100 people and it pays 300 my game is a little shaky. I would like to get some info on how to play the last two tables-I could make a lot more FT's if I just new how to play this part.

Thanx for you help.
Michael

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem 7: Greg Raymer

I think I would have called the early limper with J9 in position. But after the button raises to 700, I would have considered folding if I had him on a high pair (I tend to think AK more often than not). Greg Raymer, being an aggressive player, decides to call the raise even though he is out of position. A sign that he is very comfortable playing marginal hands OOP on the flop. Aggressive players play these hands cheaply in the hopes of catching a big hand to double up.

I like the fact that Dan doesn’t just decide to discard the hand before he’s looked at the situation properly, considering the pot odds and his post flop skill.

After flopping top two pair it’s time to slow play. In online play if I flop top two pair and I put my opponent on a big hand I would also check it and then min raise his bet—almost to say “did you have AK and this flop missed you?” If my timing is right and my table image has been aggressive with lots of reraising he might reraise allin on the flop-JACKPOT. Dan points out that you want to build the pot gradually considering how you are going to get all his chips thinking about all the streets. So offering your opponent great odds to call the raise is a good idea—3to1.

I like the check on the turn after you’ve made a full house-signaling that you are not that strong after all, and maybe only have top pair weak kicker. Your opponent just checks the turn as well so he’s not falling for any tricks, and we have to get more money on the river. Don’t check the river to your opponent unless you’re certain that he thinks he can steal the pot by bluffing. He has a hand so he won’t.

On the river, after considering the stack sizes, do we push allin or opt for the “suck bet?” Dan points out that you need to do some small calculations and find the play with the highest positive expectation.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules