Going to play poker "full time" for 4 months

dirtyoldog

dirtyoldog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get a job kid make something of yourself dont bet on being a poker superstar.work on poker on your free time if you know you can support yourself from your winnings then take the chance till then quit being so damn lazy and get a job

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get a job kid make something of yourself dont bet on being a poker superstar.work on poker on your free time if you know you can support yourself from your winnings then take the chance till then quit being so damn lazy and get a job

LOL. Tell us what you really think....

dirtyoldog

dirtyoldog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL. Tell us what you really think....
lol just sayin everyone wants the easy way slim chances youll make a living playing cards if you can great but i mean really your 18 if i was your old man ide toss ya out if ya pulled this crap. just sayin :eek: oh and i have a 18 year old junior in hs with a job and he works with me in the summer

Last edited:
Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol just sayin everyone wants the easy way slim chances youll make a living playing cards if you can great but i mean really your 18 if i was your old man ide toss ya out if ya pulled this crap. just sayin :eek: oh and i have a 18 year old junior in hs with a job and he works with me in the summer

Yeah I hear ya. I just thought it was funny. Made me chuckle...:D

S

spstevens

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have your whole life to get a job , and it is important to do so. You also are only young and able to take advantage of breaks between semesters at school on your parents dime once as well. Unless you are a problem gambler or overly obsessed with it follow your dream for a few months and avoid wondering what if for the next however many years.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@op you do what you want to do, if you want to spend 40 hours learning poker for 4 months then do it.....dont listen to people that tell you to get a job, I'm sure you have future job goals set for the future when you finish school and that's good enough....you dont want to be spending your 4 month break flipping burgers for fat greasy people for 4 bucks an hour when you could be putting your time to better use with the poker....follow your dreams dude and gl

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to make clear, I'm not doing this to become a "superstar" , obviously it's every poker player's dream, but it's not why I'm doing this.
I just have a break and I love poker, so I see this as an opportunity to really improve my game, it's not like I'm not going back to school next year.

And I honestly don't see the advantage of getting a real job right now, like alfue said , why flip burgers or work at a mall for 4/5€ an hour when I can make at least the same doing something I love?

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just to make clear, I'm not doing this to become a "superstar" , obviously it's every poker player's dream, but it's not why I'm doing this.
I just have a break and I love poker, so I see this as an opportunity to really improve my game, it's not like I'm not going back to school next year.

And I honestly don't see the advantage of getting a real job right now, like alfue said , why flip burgers or work at a mall for 4/5€ an hour when I can make at least the same doing something I love?

Go for it man.

However, you could end up spending money playing poker also. It is not guaranteed that you will profit. You have some things to learn, and the next few months will help you see what I'm saying.

I think if you play tight, and stick with some solid ABC fundamentals at first, you may be on track to profit. It all comes down to your self control. Preflop hand selection is very important. Patience is paramount.

Good luck!

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he's profitable at 25nl though he can make some money, but then again people don't withdraw 100% of profits so you might only take out like 10% or something.

it shouldnt be about the money, just the learning which you seem to have down.

gl

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why flip burgers or work at a mall for 4/5€ an hour when I can make at least the same doing something I love?

QFMFT

I will be playing full time in 53 days too, quotes like the above always convince me its a no brainer, being happy will be good!

So from one degen to another, gl if you go for it

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go for it. 5bb/100 is totally realistic at 50NL for a reasonable player.

Now, where are you at at the moment? Did someone mention 25NL?

Work hard on your game, and never stop, it's the only way forward.

And what others said about how to set goals. I.e. do not make them WR/monetary.

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently 4-tabling 25nl, with a bb/100 of 6.8 over only 11k this month.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds good...gl.

BTW YGM is the only one talking shite in the group... the rest of it is pure gold.

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm starting out great ^.^

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

CO ($17.66)
Button ($25.90)
SB ($25)
Hero (BB) ($59.76)
UTG ($10)
MP ($52.38)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K
club.gif
, Q
club.gif

2 folds, CO calls $0.25, 2 folds, Hero bets $1, CO calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) J
club.gif
, 10
club.gif
, 3
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.10) 2
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $3.75, CO calls $3.75

River: ($12.60) A
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $12, 1 fold

Total pot: $12.60 | Rake: $0.57

Results below:
Hero had K
club.gif
, Q
club.gif
(royal flush).
Outcome: $12.60 returned to Hero

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

CO ($17.66)
Button ($25.90)
SB ($25)
Hero (BB) ($59.76)
UTG ($10)
MP ($52.38)

club.gif
, Q
club.gif

club.gif
, 10
club.gif
, 3
spade.gif
(2 players)

club.gif
(2 players)

club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $12, 1 fold

Results below:
Hero had K
club.gif
, Q
club.gif
(royal flush).

maybe bet a little less on the river to encourage a call or a bluff raise...i think your pot bet looks super strong and its hard for you to get the villian to bluff raise

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe bet a little less on the river to encourage a call or a bluff raise...i think your pot bet looks super strong and its hard for you to get the villian to bluff raise

He played 70/0 and a complete donk,, also, he had less than 12 behind, so I decided to just get max value, too bad he folded..
If the 4rth club hadn't come off I would be better off btw, he had KQ.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah the ace clubs killed the action, ah well, congrats on teh royal flush, ive not had one yet in 9 months of playing lol

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember one of my first hands back in september when I started out being a royal flush, since then my first, and thx^^

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

CO ($17.66)
Button ($25.90)
SB ($25)
Hero (BB) ($59.76)
UTG ($10)
MP ($52.38)

club.gif
, Q
club.gif

club.gif
, 10
club.gif
, 3
spade.gif
(2 players)

club.gif
(2 players)

club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $12, 1 fold

Results below:
Hero had K
club.gif
, Q
club.gif
(royal flush).

You have to bet like 4-5 here or else youre never getting called imo.

In btw! gl :)

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yah, when we have the Ks + Qs its hard to get value, especially out of a PSB.. even if he is a drooler.

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea I guess I got over excited, I was really like "Omg royal flush let's shove"

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet $4 and hope he decides to bluff you.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for starters your goal should be to be a winning players when 4 months pass. make sure you don't put goals too high that you might not be able to reach.

This sounds like a goal to me: "Grind for 4 months 25nl 6 max, start with 4 tables, move up to 6, remain a wining poker player, grind at least 20k hands a month." This will be easy to do and will boost your confidence.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
grinding 25nl for 4 months can't be fun.

but yeah, up the tables because you need more volume.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol he can't call that river, unless you bet uber small. Target his range for value.

I play 6-8 tables of 6max. Then again I'm old, so I guess you younguns can do more and still play optimally*.

Last edited: