Getting it in preflop with AK

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, vice a versa, playing against an AK, if you push all in with PP 10 and higher, you should have a higher win rate?

D

donkeykiller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't shove all-in with AK or AKs they are good drawing hands and that's just it they are drawing hands
alot of people get burnt shoving all-in with these hands becuase there dominated by any pair and dominated by anything when an A or K doesn't hit on the board . Usually I just pop it up to pot bet on preflop and I'll call a re-rasie to see a flop and if the flop does hit I bet pot and if it doesn't i'll make a 4-5x BB C-bet to take it down right there if i get a caller or a re rasies I'm check fold. You can lose an awfull lot of money with AK and AKs if you don't know what your doing.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't shove all-in with AK or AKs they are good drawing hands and that's just it they are drawing hands
alot of people get burnt shoving all-in with these hands becuase there dominated by any pair and dominated by anything when an A or K doesn't hit on the board . Usually I just pop it up to pot bet on preflop and I'll call a re-rasie to see a flop and if the flop does hit I bet pot and if it doesn't i'll make a 4-5x BBC-bet to take it down right there if i get a caller or a re rasies I'm check fold. You can lose an awfull lot of money with AK and AKs if you don't know what your doing.

Obviously you lose an awful lot of money with them then. Seriously did you even bother to read this thread before you posted? If not please read it, then you can post your retraction. If so please reread and/or take a reading comprehension course, before posting your retraction.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wanted to say thanks for the post Alan. Playing 100nl FR I think there's a big difference in the application of the concepts to the levels you play and 6 max, but it gave me a huge amount of food for thought this evening while playing and I'm sure contributed to some better decision making in 3 and 4 bet pots.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, thanks again Alan.

Perfect explanation, you cleared it up completely.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose as we have a mix of FR and 6max players, we should open up the debate of if/how we play AK differently. As a predominently 6max player these days, I'm more than happy getting it aipf with AK as the mixture of villains shoving ranges is pretty wide. When I played FR (over 150k hands) I had very little success getting it aipf, and I found most ppl's shoving pf range was basically QQ+.

Any thoughts on this?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose as we have a mix of FR and 6max players, we should open up the debate of if/how we play AK differently. As a predominently 6max player these days, I'm more than happy getting it aipf with AK as the mixture of villains shoving ranges is pretty wide. When I played FR (over 150k hands) I had very little success getting it aipf, and I found most ppl's shoving pf range was basically QQ+.

Any thoughts on this?

I think at FR it's really a lot more villain dependent because you do see some 2/2 nits with full stacks or 20/1 fishes who 3bet like 0.5% and against of those, i would actually fold AK to a 3bet as my standard line.

Also, at 100nl FR i find people who just fold to 3bets an indecent percentage of the time, so with position i think there's a bunch of value in 3betting a lower range of hands and flatting with AK. Also do that from the blinds from time to time and donk bet/bet/bet Axx boards only to be called down by AT in the CO who would have snap folded to a 3bet pre.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Any thoughts on this?

In later positions it's pretty standard against semi-aggro regs. Good amount 3-bet 5%+. Against some regs you can probably 3-bet fold if they have a super-narrow 4-bet range but as mentioned above if you 4-bet you can't really fold and 4-betting AK is definitely profitable against most regs in late position or blinds. Probably level-dependent though because I remember folding AK at 50nl to most regs even just to 3-bets because their 3-bets were like AK/JJ+.

joos

joos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did not read the entire thread, sorry if I say something that has been mentioned before. As most 6max players I am getting it in with AK/AKs almost always against almost all tags. It gets little bit more marginal when its a fish or a nit (small 3b %) that 3b you. AK is a hand that needs to see 5 cards. There are times you can fold to tons of action but heads up i am almost always shipping it in. Almost everyone is 3b light these days and it is +ev just to take that money with a 4b and when you do get it in, you have great equity even against top of their range (ie JJ+/AK) Keep in mind that this opinion is all from a 6max standpoint