Getting out of AK pre flop

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought I'd add that from the two lists of wins and losses from AK.

The first two losses were against players with 3-bet stats of under 2%, This means AA - JJ (you are dominated by AA-KK and have to improve to beat (QQ-JJ) Overall you dont have an edge here.

The third guy had 3-bet of 17% you are ahead of his 3 bet range and should expect a 4-bet to fold him.. if / when it dosent you have to ask why and look to his 4bet or shove stats for an answer of if you are ahead of his range.

He flipped over KK... well what else would you expect him to do with KK other than raise and raise, but the question is really.. is his range wide enough that he does this with other hands which I dominate.

The wins on the other hand...

The first is against a 5% range

He is playing 99+ (so you have FE against his small pairs)
He is playing AK AQs AJs so you dominate / or tie his Ax hands.

You still lose to AA KK, but now his range contains lots of hands which you beat.. so you raise.

The second is a 22%.. (hand in the cookie jar!!) You just beat his range here, so you raise.

In both cases, if they reraised, you then need to look at their 5 bet / shove stats.. are you ahead of it or do they only do this with AA/KK?

Generaly speaking, AK is breakeven against a shove at around 5% range, because it wins 33% of the time and the shove after your 4-bet probably gives you correctcalling odds.

SPCotter

SPCotter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again my limited hands on these guys limits my ability to look in, but it's interesting that fustars flat called a 3bet with QQ, but 3bet KK and called my allin, and KK is his only known 3bet card, so he was clearly getting a lot of FE on that table at that time, but I assume if the villain in the QQ hand (who was holding 10s went to showdown, fustars called cbet, check turn, fustars bets pot in position on river villain calls, J high rag rainbow board) pushed, fustars would possibly call preflop, so vs his range a flat call and see a flop could work against his range, although I doubt I would get paid if my cards hit, maybe worth folding altogether? He wasn't looking to raise the villain post flop and was weary of KK/AA, possibly trip Jacks?

Likewise juanrichguy's known 3bet call 4bet is AJ only for the once occasion, but I think it's pretty obvious he'll happily get the chips in pre flop at least AJ, JJ+, possibly 10s, 9s too having such a high 3bet%.

Cheers for the advice, couldn't reply sooner I have a 7 post a day restriction! :joyman: