(General Survey)

K

kidpoker410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering how everyone prefers to play big hands. Feel free to elaborate since this question is not limited to AA or KK only. Sets and quads, straights, anything that is the nuts.

how big of a raise preflop?
slow play?
"set mine"?
how many players to the flop?
do you slow play aces and kings often?
etc.

i believe these questions may spark a interesting thread that will help improve some peoples game by helping realize how many different ways there is to play the same hands.

(Usually I raise 4x bb in MTT with AA/KK and hope to have only 1 maybe 2 callers and C bet and hope that they hit the flop and RR me. If the turn isnt a scary card then almost always goes in pre-river.)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how big of a raise preflop? The usual 3.5xBB's + 1 for a limper
slow play? Rarely
"set mine"? Not that much at 6 max.
how many players to the flop? 2, me & the fish preferably.
do you slow play aces and kings often? Slowplay something that has its highest value on the first 2 streets, um, no.
For 6 max cash games.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general you should be more scared with AA/KK being beat on a non-scary board. If the board's 89K 2-toned, there are a ton of draws they could be semi-bluffing with, but a Q72 rainbow flop the only thing you can hope for is that they're an idiot and will stack AQ.

M

MI_Snowdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem with this question is that standard answers do not take into account situations.

You could be on a wild table or a tight table....my answers would be different for each. What's your position? Can you buy the button? Is the player in the blind a defender or does he fold to a steal all the time. Does the player on your immediate left always reraise with any two on resteals? Is the standard 3.5-4x bb raise get no respect at this table? Is a 3x bb raise good enough to take down a pot? The list goes on.

So while you can obtain standard answers, everyone should adjust those answers given the situation, the players, # of players, etc etc.

This is what, to me at least, makes poker such a great game...it's purely situational and there is no one way to play a certain hand at any given time. It's constantly flowing.

K

kidpoker410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"The problem with this question is that standard answers do not take into account situations."

no.

2 others understood it with no problem. and yes, the answers are SUPPOSED to be from diff. situations. hence the multiple ways to play different hands.

Last edited:
M

MI_Snowdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
um...yes...the problem is it would take a book much like the pros write to list all the variables on how to play certain situations....
i don't think anyone has that kind of time on this forum to do that...unless they want to sell their thoughts for $29.99

so, yes....there's a problem with the question..I understood it just fine, thanks

Last edited:
K

kidpoker410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
um...yes...the problem is it would take a book much like the pros write to list all the variables on how to play certain situations....
i don't think anyone has that kind of time on this forum to do that...unless they want to sell their thoughts for $29.99

so, yes....there's a problem with the question..I understood it just fine, thanks

do me a favor. dont post in my threads anymore. u couldve simply read this and not responded since u obviously dont have any input on the subject...

some people...

M

MI_Snowdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dude, wtf...you said, feel free to elaborate...you wanted discussion....

you did not say "don't say this or don't say that"

i understood the question, i answered it with what i thought was the appropriate answer. you should have taken your own advice and not responded if you didn't like the answer.

go buy a book

M

Mikeyyyy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how big of a raise preflop?
4 to 5x when i actually raise
slow play?
i normally slow play aces from early/middle position with good/aggressive players ahead of me, when i join a table without any reads tho i just limp early because normally only a few call anyway at the worst and im able to fold if they play back at me because i would prefer to play for the chance at a big pot than win a small one because the odds are i will win more often and i know i am able to fold when i have a feeling im dead.
how many players to the flop?
if theres 1 caller ahead of me i will defo always raise 4-5x
do you slow play aces and kings often?
ive learnt to never slow play kings because of aggressive donkeys, prefer to win preflop with kings because they are hella vunerable. i like to slow play queens from time to time tho because if someone has aces or kings they will obviously raise large enough for me to know and therefor would not reraise my first raise which will make me see the flop cheaper because they dont normally win on there own with two higher cards beating them.

im not saying im always paranoid its just that people with ace king to jack and king queen to jack normally call my queens raise anyway and therefor normally hit so i would rather hit an unsuspecting set against them to win a bigger pot or have an over pair when someone hits with their jack.but thats only against donkeys/weak players because theres only two cards that will beat me so i like the odds of having an over pair most of the time and if they started with kings or aces i will have been losing from the start anyway.

i always raise when im in late position with aces to jacks about 4-5xbb depending on the size of the raise ahead of me, if its 3x il make it 5 or 6 if its 5 il just call. if people are limping every hand il obviously change to raising early position but aces come along so rarely i like to make the most of them by taking a chance at a big pot by trapping a raiser than raising first and only catching the blinds.

Does that make sense? oh ye this is for cash games mainly.

wild table = slow play into them so there money is in the pot then i raise or
tight table = raise earlier than normal instead of having to go up against an army of limpers.

i know slow playing queens most of the time in early position sounds a bit stupid but it seems to not put as much money at risk for me and makes me win bigger pots when i hit or have an overpair which is the majority of the time.obviously this will change in the higher limits because most players will realise a raise means their king jack is normally beat.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do me a favor. dont post in my threads anymore. u couldve simply read this and not responded since u obviously dont have any input on the subject...

some people...

I think this is unnecessary, kidpoker. I think Snowdog made valid points and wasn't being negative. This is a very broad question and hard to try to answer completely, but I agree it could be interesting and informative how many different ways people play these situations. Maybe narrow the Q down a little so everyone will be discussing the same thing.