Freeroll Strategies

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I place in about 1 of 10-20 freerolls I play so there's more than luck involved. Lately I've placed more often even. Last night I got 8th or something in BD tourney on pokerroom and this morning placed in $300 freeroll on pokerroom for 6 bucks. So it just takes lots of free time and patience to place in freerolls. Considering each freeroll takes like 4-5 hours or more, 10 could = 30 or more hours of play before winning anything, and maybe you only end up winning a buck.
I have a terrible problem though. I place and win free cash for a BR, then lose it all in SNGs usually. Damn, i can place in freeeroll but not 10 player sng i need help...

I sometimes feel alike.
I cashed in some freerolls and won a few but I drained it at 1.25 sngs.
Killed by crazy moves mostly or occasionally donking it off.
I know how it feels.
There must be a leak in your play.
Search the strategy info on this site, it will help.
:banghead:

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have learned not to go all in stategy....lol .......You just have to find your playing style and work it. Thats waht so good about the free-rolls....Its time spent developing your style and finding what works for you and your sucess.

N

necoloschi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I start to write down the nick of players who speak bad of freeroll (Ex: freeroll for players is weak and donkeys, etc.)
I feel great to start playing competitively for how much has fifteenth and donkey, also has great players and everything is a learning process.
Congratulations to sites that promote freerolls and provide for processing of all debates in general.
Poker is not just a science, poker is art!:cool:

J

joemac696969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you wait for about an hour all the donks are usually gone, I did it and there was 700 left.

C

Cobryn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a lot of people saying wait for premium hands during the first hour of play. This sounds great in theory, however you're looking at 8 min blinds and by playing this tight when you do have good hands other players will have already built stacks large enough to try to bust you. And the last thing you want is multiple players calling your all in when you finally find those aces.

I think you have to play moderately tight despite where you are in the tournament. However, you're going to have to see some flops (As cheaply as possible) and you are going to have to make some hands. To win or even place in one of these monster 5k people PLUS(!!) tournaments you are going to have to get lucky a few times and create a stack that you can play with.

Simply doubling up in the first hour is useless. You're going to be sitting there with your 3k chips looking around the table at guys with 15k plus stacks that ARE willing to bust you with mediocre hands.

So what to do? I think you have to see flops with medium strength hands early (CHEAP) and flop to them, bet out (You WILL be called most of the time) and take a few chances as time goes on.

You'll start to feel when the blinds get big enough that a standard raise (3-5 times the blinds) is going to work as a steal. However in some of these tournaments... that point will NEVER happen.

I see as many flops as I can in position. I find that most of my successful bluffs are going to come after the flop when everyone checks to me. And I may have to fire another bullet after the turn. I'll bet (min raise)my drawing hands when I'm out of position to try to get a cheap look at the next card. People in these tournaments see that min raise and a lot of times they'll call when otherwise they would have bet (more) instead.

However, I will RARELY EVER slow play and never use the min raise when I have any kind of hand in these tournaments. When I flop a monster and make a large bet, a lot of times people just flat out wont believe me and will sometimes go over the top with nothing thinking they can get me to fold when I'm priced in even if I WANTED to fold.

Basically, stay away from the big bluffs, slow playing, and bet your draws out to get you to see them on the cheap. Be aware when you see that third sooooooooted card hit the turn. Dont be surprised when you pot bet the flop and were called, and they hit the flush on the turn. Most of the players at this level are not concerned about pot odds, and figure their flush draw is a better hand after the flop than your set is, and would call the bet even if they could see your hand.

The more of these tournaments I play in, the more I seem to understand them. If I waited on aa/kk/ak, by the time I got them it usually wouldnt matter anyway. AA all in with four callers is not exactly my favorite place to be.

Dagon7

Dagon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agressive and lucky

I have played 5 freerolls a day for about 3 years now, they are just for fun and to avoid my wife mostly. When I do the best is when I can chip up early, wait for the nuts and when the crazy's go all in, u got em. Then just sit back relax, walk away, what ever, check back in awhile, if your now no longer the big stack, play conservatively until you get a few more then walk away, repeat until final table, this is usually a lot more like regular poker because people have invested 1-5 hours and arent going to donk it away, unless they all presciribe to the same theory, tight in the beginning loose at the end, if so just take em all out with a BB specials. And never go allin pre flop on full tilt with the best hand YOU WILL LOSE!