Folding a set

B

Bazslazs93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with horizon, if you got a set on the floppy board, you have only one alternative . Play with that as aggressive. dont be afraid

21sam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must consider what type of player he is and how he played before flop. If he is aggressive - tend to call/raise. If he entered preflop with only call - don't be afraid of a big set.

nucl

nucl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to fold a set in cash game the board must be super wet.
Else you should shove all your stack.It's the most profitable hand and the opponent is hard to read it and get away if he have a strong as well!

D

DoctorDonLoL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hope i could have always sets
best hand ever
they dont think about it

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have trouble folding a set even when there is a straight on the board. I usually fold a set only against a flush and mostly not before the river.

akyurukov

akyurukov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set over set situation is extremely rare... and if you have set on dry board never fold it because it will be a blunder.
Very high percent of the time you will be big favorite with your set,and it will be really,really bad luck for you to find out that your opponent got a higher set.
DONT BE AFRAID ! :)

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I was playing a chas game at my local card room and I got lucky with only losing a small amount on a set over set board.. I was playing 1/3 had about 700 in front of me, guy had about 600.. preflop was raised to 18 5 callers then we both flop set.. flop bet was 70. two folds and two callers turn brought a straight draw.. checked all the way around, then river checked all the way down... and when I saw the set, I was disappointed, but happy to have lost the minimum...

Frank Burnette

Frank Burnette

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there's no flush, no straight, or no full house on the board then, yeah, it's really hard to fold a set. They are well disguised hands, and I've lost big to them plenty of times,:bawling:especially when I've had 2 pair. haha Someone always seems to have a set when I have 2 pair.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there's no flush, no straight, or no full house on the board then, yeah, it's really hard to fold a set. They are well disguised hands, and I've lost big to them plenty of times,:bawling:especially when I've had 2 pair. haha Someone always seems to have a set when I have 2 pair.

Eh if you have a set and there is a pair on the board then you know you also have a full house.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That would be are hard scenario to let go, usually with a set you can take your opponents stake easily, expecting to see a higher set is hard to read unless you are familiar with the other players habits.

J

JKo2theQQ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only spot I'm going to fold a set is.......umm......yea I can't think of one. Dry board = not folding. I had a spot once where i gave a nitty players 3bet credit for aces. ( know the player well ). but I had enough implied odds with his stack size so I gave him a call with TT. OF COURSE THE FLOP CAME.......A T 8. still had to call......... that sucked.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is actually a really great question and concern regarding sets. Actually, one of the recent things I found while studying and preparing to take my poker to the next level involved flopped sets and the strategy of playing them. It was hugely eye opening to me and had immediate impacts on how I play my game.

I tended to often looked at flopped sets as great hands but not great against flush draws, straight draws, made of either, or two pairs drawing possible boats, and higher sets. Which led me to read more about pot odds, implied odds, etc. Which then led me to realize I was leaving a ton of value on the table folding sets a lot more than I should have been.

That said, I will now a days rarely, rarely fold a flopped set. And as others have said, I will strongly lean towards getting my money in on a flopped set when raised because odds wise even if the other person is drawing for a flush or straight, I'm getting good odds that I'll hit quads or full house, or they'll miss their draw. Sure a bigger set or quads could appear, I've had a set beat by higher sets or higher full houses to mine, but yeah I can't reasonably fold them anymore except in very specific instances.

I was blown away how much value they can have and how much that can pay off when you have people raising or going all in on draws or with their two pairs or TPTK. Of course if you're the one on a flush/straight draw you're pleased when the set holder doesn't hit quads or Full.

D

donkcentralFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible situation on bovada on Saturday... Maybe 2nd time ever ive seen this happen to me, atleast before allin and letting turn/river run out.. I have 77 flop comes JdJh7d... He is sb he checks I bet 1/3 to atleast get some hand info + its bovada so once he calls I know he has the J lol.. turn 9h he checks again I bet he 2.5 raises me and I just call figuring slow play it out.. I'm like well now its obvious (hoping no j9 here)... River 9d damn it!!!!

R

RazKat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there's Higher possible Sets on the Table I'd be likely to Fold especially if you take into account the Raises. It's also possible that someone else may be disguising a High Set that could crush you so pay careful attention to other players play styles.

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding a set is never easy bit if board structure is that "draw able" you should let your trips go

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am sitting as the bubble boy so to speak playing against a much larger stack i would consider folding, but in any other situation im betting it.

B

braveboat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without four to a flush or a straight on the board, I'm not even thinking about folding. Too many outs to a boat, and many times, most of the money is in by then anyway so your odds are too good to fold.

A big mistake is folding on the river, even when you're almost sure you're beat, when the money is already in the pot, and a relatively small bet is required to call...

A

ashot228

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I belive that set very strong hand and have almost 15% to ge full house,so we should push and playing agressive with hands like that to get big banks)

PokerSprout

PokerSprout

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I beleive that a set is a really strong hand that can bring your a lot of money since this hand is well disguised.
I want to hear your thoughts about do you ever fold your set if there's no flush, no straight, no full house on the board, you can only be beat by a higher set?
For me it's always hard to fold even though sometimes I'm pretty sure that my opponent has a higher set.

One would have to be playing against an extremely specific type of player, namely one that does not bluff nor value bet worse hands in order to make folding such a strong hand near correct.

For instance, even on a board like AK269 and with (let's say for fun) your opponent making a pre-flop raise and with the turn going check-check, if you have 99 and your opponent moves all-in on you for the size of the pot and he only has AA/KK/22/66 with equal probability, you should still call because of the pot odds.

That's all against a player who never bluffs or value bets a worse hand than your 99, which is basically nobody.

S

StoneyC553

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you gotta know when to ghold em, know when to fold em lol

M

Mitchel Cornodelli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as doyle brunson said; if youre always afraid of a better hand, you'll never be able to win. On a dry board i would never fold, you need to make money sometime

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I beleive that a set is a really strong hand that can bring your a lot of money since this hand is well disguised.
I want to hear your thoughts about do you ever fold your set if there's no flush, no straight, no full house on the board, you can only be beat by a higher set?
For me it's always hard to fold even though sometimes I'm pretty sure that my opponent has a higher set.

Not in 200BB or less NLH, no.

I can see some wacky scenarios where tight players narrow their ranges so completely preflop and then the board might make it possible, but we're talking like virtually never.

M

mmxzank

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On a dry board a 4 10 rainbow etc folding a set is nearly impossible unless you're being meticulous and taking your time running good using all the techniques that you know you should be doing instead of getting caught up in the game antics not to mention it's extremely rare to get in that situation but still the only time I'd fold a set is at least 5 handed on the flop maybe four and I have a very small bankroll when I know I can literally and I mean literally know it's just a hand that means nothing and can out play them in dozens of less complicated situations with bottom set and straight or flush draws on the board lastly I don't bet big with pocket pairs anymore unless I'm heads up and when I bet big preflop the main strategy is to go heads up, three handed is a much bigger step than heads tbh I don't even like pocket pairs like I used to unless it's jacks or up

Folding in Poker