Fold or Call on River? Combo question

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing the next week against the same lads, the same way. Calling most (7/10 roughly) of their river bets/raises with good bluff catchers, 2 pair, TPTK (this hand was folded the most), etc. Absolutely wrecked them. I had so many chips I hadn't space for it on the table. 3 LAGs had to top up 3-4 times each because of me lol.

Would I play like this online? Of course not! You have to adjust to the game. These guys thrive on ABC players. ABC players shit themselves with TPTK or 2 pair when these LAGS raise the River. Then they show absolute air. Happens all the time!

The passive player I mentioned, gets run over all the time. Folds winning hands to them. They literally thrive on stealing his C-bets.

Only time I'd be very cautious against the LAGs (in my game, not LAGs in general, I am very specific to the people I play with) is if he is deep stack and me too. This could be serious damage to my stack if he had the nuts.

poker game has to be tailored to the table and players you are up against, especially live pub game. The LAGs you know online are NITS compare to them.

Against the deep-stack LAGs there I play almost anything A2s, 3-5s, 79s, etc. Some of them I play even OOP, as I can just raise 3bb and they don't re-raise. They love family pots. These LAGs get aggro after the flop. Pre-flop they are calling stations to open-raise, or raisors to unopened pots.

Stuey

Stuey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you have to play Kc5s even if the game is short handed?
I don't get it. What are you trying to accomplish? Why not just fold and have new cards in 30 seconds?

You need to have "equity-when-called" if you plan to bluff. Any playable hand has got to have two features.
#1. all none paired hands has got to be suited.
#2. beside suitedness you need either big card value or connectedness between the two with no gap.
#3. or you may need the super big cards like AK, AQ, and sometime but not always KQ even offsuited.

AsKs, AhQh, KcJc, QsJs ... Ad5d, ..., JdTd, Th9h, 9s8s, 8c7c....

Other big-card combinations also give you an edge. A hand like K♥J♥ on a 9♥7♣2♦ board is frequently strong enough to bet or raise against an opponent playing too many hands. Your overcards, plus the backdoor flush draw, give your hand enough 7 "outs" or equity-when-called to push some aggression. Holding 5♥4♥ on this board, however, is much weaker, while your Kc5s on many flops is massive trash.

Last edited:
Slider23

Slider23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made three mistakes on the hand raising K5o in CO & calling a bet and raise on river with a paired board, and not making a pot size bet on the turn.

Last edited:
D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair points Stuey and Slider. Checking the hand Vs ranges I did overestimate the strength of my hand. But surely there must be some relationship Vs blinds too. The blinds were too frequent....

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
based on your info you probably should have folded preflop.
but you didn't, then the flop got you in trouble.

Folding in Poker