Expanding to Limit Holdem

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always played NL holdem and that's what i'm best at but I've decided to expand my game to limit
I've played some micro limit games (.10/.20) and survived - not a difficult task
but still my game's not tops - that's why i want to play and improve it
my current bankroll's at around $100 - so what stakes would you suggest i play?
I would also appreciate any tips for the NL player transfering to Limit
i've read a book and a few articles on LHE so i'm not completely in the dark here, i just don't wanna make little mistakes that'll harm me in the long run.

Thanks guys

-ChuckTs

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$.25/$.50 is probably alright for you to play, if you stick with the full tables, and you have a decent grasp of how to play limit (most players at that level won't).

There are definite differences between limit and no-limit, and which takes more skill to win a lot of money at is an argument that could go (and has gone) on forever. It basically boils down to "there are more options in NL, therefore it's a more difficult game" vs. "you make money off of your opponents' mistakes - your opponents have more rope to hang themselves with in NL, therefore limit takes more skill, as the edges are harder to push."

Anyway, the last time this question came up, I answered this:

https://www.cardschat.com/showthread.php?p=380146#post380146

Best of luck - and don't hesitate to start hand discussions. :)

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll discover bluffs won't work as often and pot odds increase in importance. You get many more junk players/chasers, thus many more players per hand. Choose your starting hands more in relation to position and don't be afraid to lay down hands like KT or QJ if an overcard hits the board, since bluffs don't work as often.

Most of all: Have fun because any losses will be smaller due to the limits on bets. They won't sting quite as badly.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok gettin excited at how many fish there are already :D
here's my first hand - see this is the kind of situation i don't really know what to do in
i had a good read on the player in the pot though and was pretty sure he had nothing or was on a draw
did i play this right?

Dealer: ChuckTs_16 is the dealer
Dealer: Starting a new hand (#372416767)
Dealer: Starting a new hand (#372416767)
Dealer: merzman5555 posts Small Blind $0.10
Dealer: OFIARA posts Big Blind $0.25
Dealer: Dealing cards
Dealer: Your cards Ad Qs
Dealer: mandruplund calls $0.25
Dealer: nikiita raises $0.50
Dealer: faradaye folds
Dealer: justcheck folds
Dealer: VovaN1 folds
Dealer: gobucs1 folds
Dealer: ChuckTs_16 raises $0.75
Dealer: merzman5555 folds
Dealer: OFIARA goes All-in $0.30
Dealer: mandruplund calls $0.50
Dealer: nikiita calls $0.25
Dealer: Dealing Flop
8h Kh 5s
Dealer: mandruplund checks
Dealer: nikiita checks
Dealer: ChuckTs_16 bets $0.25
Dealer: mandruplund calls $0.25
Dealer: nikiita folds
Dealer: Dealing Turn
8h Kh 5s 3s
Dealer: ChuckTs_16 bets $0.50
Dealer: mandruplund calls $0.50
Dealer: Dealing River
8h Kh 5s 3s 3c
Dealer: ChuckTs_16 checks
Dealer: OFIARA shows Two Pair
Kc 9h
Dealer: ChuckTs_16 shows One Pair
Ad Qs
Dealer: Winner is ChuckTs_16 with One Pair
3s 3c Qs Kh Ad $2
Dealer: Winner is ChuckTs_16 with One Pair
3s 3c Qs Kh Ad $2
Dealer: Winner is OFIARA with Two Pair
3s 3c 9h Kh Kc $2.20
Dealer: Winner is OFIARA with Two Pair
3s 3c 9h Kh Kc $2.20

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also, i tend to enjoy limit more when im in a casual mood.. NL is too swing-happy to play casually.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm playing .50/1.00 alot now...i just couldn't stand the level of play at .25/
but just as a side note i'm getting RIDICULOUS amounts of PPs
i'm 2-tabling and it seems like i'm getting pocket pairs every 8 or so hands...maybe even more frequently (including both tables)

edit:no joke, since i started writing this post i've been getting even more
QQs, 77s and just now TT
this is insane

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i could really get used to limit :D
Just today i sat down at 2 tables, 0.5/1.0 LHE with $30 each
lost a bunch at one table, almost the entire $30 but made it up at the other
i'm now ending the day almost even on that table that i was losing at (~ -10 bucks ) but more than tripled my buy-in at the other
this has been quite the helper for my bankroll...not too many swings and a nice steady income when I can get a good 2 table goin

edit: scratch that; make it quadrupling up that second table's buy-in!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
SexyAceJoker

SexyAceJoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The obvious different should be that you need to be extremly patiente, and position is really really important ( I point this out in case you played 6 handed , although position is important there in here its even more important, because there are so many players before you, there is a good chance one of them might be dealt a really strong hand, thus some hands in early position , and depending how the table reacts , might go up or down in value ) For example KQs in late position with 2 or less limpers, you could raises , as you problably have the best hand, or a strong hand , around a coin flip i would say , but this wouldnt be the case if for example you had 3 raisers before you ) Another thing to keep in mind is, must players just wont bluff out of a pot, especially if they make a hand, so you have to be carefull with your bluffs . Unless ofcourse, your opponents is a tight player who would fould to a bet if he doesnt have a strong draw or a made hand . In limit hold em implied odds seem to go down in value, as the bets are set ( for example in the 1/2 $ game you can bet 2 at most, unlike in NL where you could be any amount you would like ) . This makes pots odd go up in value, as you most make what appears to be the mathematically correct move always. In the low lvls, .25/.50 cent games up to 1$/2$ games you could play a tight semi passive style, since players are not bound to be two tricky .

As for your 100 dollar bankroll, if you play really well you can sit at the .50 and 1$ tables , just like i did when i began , they are super esay if you play Tight :) , you can sit with 30 dollars and leave with 100 esay if you have a good 5 hour session ,although .25/.50 would be safer for your bankroll ( you would have 200 BB ) ^_^

At first , try not to multi table and get used to taking notes, you will be amazed at all the tells you can get, and when not playing a hand, just like in real life , pay attention to betting patterns . Another tip is, take around 2 or 3 seconds even if you know what you want to do, and please dont use the auto buttons , its such a big tell you dont event know. For example you always have the auto fold button on when your not going to play, and when it comes to you it auto folds, but you get a hand it gets to you and you decide to play, someone who is paying attention will know you picked something decent, because auto fold wasnt on :). Only time I use the auto button is for a reverse tell, for example , auto check so my opponent thinks im weak, if he beats i can call or raise *_* . I hope this small post helps a little, anything else you would like to know, fire away :hello:

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice post, s.a.j., thanks for the advice :)
i'm now at the point where i'm 2-tabling at 0.50/1.00 (i find too many donkeys at 0.25/0.50) and getting some nice sessions in
once in a while the cards run dry but even when i get average hands i do fairly well
i don't think i could multitable with more than 2 tables but 2 is fine for now
just last night (check last post, i was very excited lol) i really padded my bankroll just from playing those limits (from ~130 --> ~$220)
i used to play alot of SnGs to pad my bankroll...but i think this is an even safer way to do it as there are a few too many suckouts for my liking in the $5 SnG range

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules