Donk Betting & Min Raising

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's less frequent at 25nl but I've seen it higher than that. I Lol'd when he said he does it on draws cos that's so true. It's a bad advocate for new players, the regs will tear this 'method' apart.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New ideas always tend to be controversial, and I have to say this is a new one on me. While it's not something that I would be doing, oddly enough I can see this being effective in the short term. A lot of players will assume that you would have something worthwhile to be playing out of position. Some players may just be playing too many tables nad not paying enought attention. Additionally, these small "donk bets" might make it seem as if you are begging for action. In the long term I would think that when players hit the flop and see you fold to a raise or, heaven forbid, to take you to showdown and see that you're firing with nothing, they will begin to look you up with increasing frequency. Then you're gonna have to put this move on the shelf.

I liken this to another move that I've been seeing recently, which is players raising and even shoving from UTG with absolute garbage to steal the blinds. With it being widely accepted that no player should every raise from early position with less than a premium hand, it is assumed that this player must be holding a monster. Nobody else seemed to have noticed that this guy had made the same play the last three rotations. When reraised these guys often fold and when you call their shove you might find them holding something like J-6 offsuit.

While I'm not advocating tossing aside time tested and proven strategies, sometimes we do need to close the book and utilize "unorthodox" strategies to be successful. I'm not too sure about this one in particular. I'm not saying I'm a a poker super genius, but I don't think you would get this move past me too many times. But if it works for you, knock yourself out. My advice to you would be to keep plan B on standby. Once this strategy is exposed, the other players at the table are gonna jump all over you.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^

It's not a 'new method'! It's a fishy play! As soon as I see someone do this I mark them as a fish. It has no benefits other than wasting a bet, just check!

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sceptical of it as a strategy but I don't think the OP is recommending it to new players. I view this as an open discussion of an unconventional play where we can dissect its pros and cons. I don't think it should be considered an effective and recommended play unless we have a full analysis of it and look into it as best as possible.

So just to clarify. If there are any lurkers out there, don't assume this should be a default play as the OP might say so. And he did say only for ZOOM which has a serious lack of information and therefore people are less likely to engage in these spots.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep going with it, and try actually keeping stats on it - I assume you have a HUD/tracker? I'm curious how this continues going for you as the sample size increases.

I don't think it is by any means ever going to be the most +EV move, but I disagree somewhat with some others on here. I think it could be +EV in general, as if they are folding even a reasonable % of the time, we are printing money. Betting $1 into a $3 pot means that out bet only needs to get folds 25% of the time... It would not surprise me at all to see that this would be true for Zoom, since history between players cannot converge in the same way as on a non-Zoom table.
RIGHT ON. your the only person that understood exactly what im saying. you and some others,but the way you have explained it is my exact thoughts. and the reason i even bothered with this thread is because i want to try and share some of my winning formulas with all my friends here.
note: it doesnt work all the time and it doesnt work in super micros. but its a good weapon to have in your armory.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we actually have a new Calicard?

but no BlueNowhere :(

but seriously lol OP you are the biggest fish ever lmao
you remind me of the people who first heard that the world is round when they used to think it was flat and were shocked and in denial. its ok to be open to some new ideas and concepts. :cool:

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you remind me of the people who first heard that the world is round when they used to think it was flat and were shocked and in denial. its ok to be open to some new ideas and concepts. :cool:

Your play is so face up its unbelievable, any reasonably thinking player will realise that you represent nothing. As I said and 9K makes the same point, the biggest fish use this play.

Come back with a decent sample size and show me it being profitable.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So just to clarify. If there are any lurkers out there, don't assume this should be a default play as the OP might say so. And he did say only for ZOOM which has a serious lack of information and therefore people are less likely to engage in these spots.

ZOOM ONLY!
I'm glad you pointed that out. I read the OP and by the time I made it through all the responses I had completely forgotten that it said ZOOM only. When I take that into consideration, it tends to shine a different light on this strategy. Maybe in that context this strategy has more merit than I originally gave it credit for. In a ZOOM game, I'm sure many players that have missed the flop will be ready to fold to any bet and move on to the next hand.

I guess that's what I get for doing too many things at once. That's why I focus on doing one thing at a time when I'm actually playing.

Good luck to you, vinyl.

Last edited:
bz54321

bz54321

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we actually have a new Calicard?

but no BlueNowhere :(

but seriously lol OP you are the biggest fish ever lmao

Why did you even bother with such a useless comment. Its not even comical at least try to make it funny next time.

I'm sure many player that have missed the flop will be ready to fold to any bet and move on to the next hand.

I do find this a lot. And even when I play super nity after a few orbits if nothing is coming and I have position I will raise a small raise when its checked around to me. I get lots of folds this way. This is just a small piece, like one building block there are spots when this advice would help and spots were it wont. In my opinion.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no offence to 9k or anyone. thnks for posting here guys. lets just agree to disagree.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread get moved, or am I losing my mind?

And Yeah Intense, it changes the context slightly. Almost all of my games are at standard tables so a lot of my experience playing against this play might be irrelevant.

From what I gather most players on here play standard tables, anyone play Zoom that has seen this strategy implemented?

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you even bother with such a useless comment. Its not even comical at least try to make it funny next time

I'm not trying to be funny in the slightest, OP may think he's coming up with something new but fish have been doing this for ages already and there's a reason fish are losing players long term.

No disrespect to OP just stating my opinion, so yeah.. don't see why you're offended by me talking to OP

Your play is so face up its unbelievable, any reasonably thinking player will realise that you represent nothing. As I said and 9K makes the same point, the biggest fish use this play.

Come back with a decent sample size and show me it being profitable.

this is pretty much my thought process, I do come over as aggressive in my posts at times but there's pretty much no way this can be profitable long term.. especially when you get to SD and regs adjust and punish you for it.

if you come back with facts and stats I will retract my opinion, but didn't this happen in another thread with exactly the same thing and the same OP?

bz54321

bz54321

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not offended. But just calling some one a fish is meaningless to me. And I enjoy meaningless things more when they are funny.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not offended. But just calling some one a fish is meaningless to me. And I enjoy meaningless things more when they are funny.

good for you? still doesnt change the fact that OP strategy is fishtactics tbh

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess this would work better in zoom.. ive never played zoom but my understanding is that as soon as u fold your dealt into a new hand with new players??? If thats the case than yea it might work but i mean your basically just taking a gamble here taking a spray a pray approach...

Since they raised you preflop, and your out of position your basically paying a min bet to get the same information you would get by checking... I mean ill float a min bet even with 2 over cards.. a min bet just doesnt make sense even as a tricky play...

My thinking process would be-
If he has a good hand hes missing a ton of value by min betting, If hes on a draw hes risking getting 3bet and not getting the price to call, If he has a mediocre hand hes giving me the price to call with all my draws and cheap enough to see another card with my over cards.. It might be working for you and congrats on that.. but IMO it just doesnt make sense to me

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And for the times you don't donk, have you tried check/minraising as a way to mix things up?

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars