Decision-making process

D

DojoPat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In an effort to plug my leaks, I’ve been trying to develop a rigorous decision-making process. This is primarily because I often find myself calling or betting “on impulse” despite knowing better.

I’m using a “traffic light” flowchart process. I have to pass through a series of Red, Yellow, and Green questions before I bet.

Here are some of the questions:

RED
-Why is my opponent still betting?
-Is there a hidden straight/flush/set out there against me?
-Is my hand definitely beaten?
-Is a Fold the smart decision here?

YELLOW
-Do I still have the best hand?

-How am I vulnerable?
-What are my outs?
-What are the pot odds?
-What does my Foe want me to do?

GREEN
-Call or Raise? Small raise or big?
-How can I pressure my Foe to make a bad decision?

I have two questions for the forum:

1) How do other folks make critical decisions, by experience/instinct or methodical analysis?
2) Any general suggestions on improving my “traffic-light” scheme would be welcome.

Thanks

DojoPat

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only advice I have is to ask yourself if you should bet or raise before you ask if yourself if you should check or fold. This will ensure you are playing aggressive. If someone bets into you and and you say no to all the above then a call is in order. This is paraphrased from memory from Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. He has an excellent script of questions to ask yourself before each play and I highly recommend his book.

AlurOne

AlurOne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
welcom Dojo :hello:

i would say that you're onto it if you are considering implied odds and pot odds during your decision making process. the only thing i might add is to ask yourself what kind of players you are up against, and consider this information when you are using your odds to make decisions.

otherwise, it seems that you are doing something right if you are asking those questions to yourself.

good luck!