Cowboys and stray bullets

konawajim

konawajim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow....... great post, I'll have to come back and read it again so it can soak in. Just a ton of opinions and info

L

lightning2u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

Weve seen this a thousand times if weve seen it once. You or someone at the table pushes all in with pocket Kings only to lose to some Ace rag hand.
Lately, Ive been playing my Kings a bit different depending on how ive seen others at the table play.

What I do now, is put in a decent raise depending on the blinds and my stack, then make my move post flop after studying the texture of the flop.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

It depends on the position I am playing...player reads..and blind to stack ratio....most know 3-6 bb is standard raise but what if I am short stacked...what if that raise is 10% or more of my stack?
Successful poker is largely based on good math strategy and player reads.
World Class players are not playing the cards...they play the situations they encounter gathering all information known at the time.Playing UTG for example is usually not a profitable position...with an over-pair or top hand you may win a small pot or may lose your entire stack...I fold most hands UTG...it's not costing me that much....late position I play many hands...it's more profitable due I have gathered information as the action comes to me..and my hand is much more disguised in late position.
As for the raise...expert players advise to keep open raises to 5% of your stack...at 10% and over your stack is depleting rapidly and if you lose the hand it is much more costly....especially in tournament play..of course cash play decisions are different and depend largely on your bankroll...you never want more than 2% of your bank on the table at any given time...then you can afford greater risk. You are absolutely correct about player reads...I am a firm believer in playing situations rather than playing the cards...that is pro poker strategy.:D

L

lightning2u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hand analyzers

I think preflop KK wins 72% vs ace rag and post flop if no Ace flops KK wins 91%. I will see a flop alot with KK,QQ,JJ.

Entering hands into hand analyzers that rerun the play showing percentages is very enlightening and good training.Several are available free on the I-net.I use "My Hands.com"...there I can take a saved hand history and load it into the analyzer that then re-plays the hands showing all the odds and percentages as they happen.There you can see a strong pre-flop hand change in value depending on players involved,position, and raises.You see further the change on the flop,turn,and river. A very strong hand like pocket kings or AK suited pre-flop...suddenly becomes much weaker at the flop while the dumb pocket 2's have gained momentum...and half the time the A's and K's are beat...one must have good reads on players...the hand analyzer is a great training tool...try it...it's free!

BeaverTrump

BeaverTrump

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big reise on preflop and all-in on flop if board without A and three to a straight or flush.... But if you do not risk - all-in on preflop!!!!!

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry guys, but i just have to say it. Any worry about getting called by ace rag is crazy. if i have kings, im getting as much money in that my opponent will call. every hand loses sometimes; its illogical to worry about ace rag, or even (most of the time) aces. (only worry about aces if you have a ridiculous read in a live tourney, i dont think you could have a read that good online)

B

bubonicplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with rssurfer54. Unless you think your opponent is calling an allin on the flop with ace rag without hitting his ace you are losing money by not just getting it allin preflop and letting him call with ace rag. You make a ton of money in the long run.