Is continuation betting bluffing?

scorpi224

scorpi224

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think when you raise before the preflop and you didn't get the best flop you should continue betting for sure because your opponent will start to think that you have the best hand and he will fold most of the times

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't make c-bet all the time, maybe half the time When I do it's value betting or semi-bluff or complete whiff buff depending on how many players on the flop and the flop cards.
If I see a player c-bet all the time then the table will notice that and will check-raise
Sometimes in early position I will c-bet cause that is what the table expects in early position if I got a strong drawing hand but not a whiff

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone. NLHE 6 Max ZOOM cash game on PokerStars.
What is the point of continuation betting when missing the flop? Is this bluffing? How do I make a profitable cbet or bluff? Is it better to just check instead?
I feel like this is just burning money because when they call or raise me I'm stuck wondering what to do next and end up folding on the flop or turn when I don't get the right card.
It can be, but not necessarily. You can cbet when you hit, miss, or pick up draws. Usually its going to be a semi-bluff/bluff HU since you will only hit about 1/3 of flops.

P

peterpam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have a lot of chips I do a c-bet and at least once. But in the long run if you don't get anything on the flop it is better to fold.

cheapseats76

cheapseats76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to mix your bets and checks equally or your play will become transparent. Table image means everything when making a cbet when you missed the flop, also the board texture has a lot to do with it. If you raise pre and get 2 callers and the flop comes 10 K A rainbow and you have J10 suited then c betting probably is going to scare to many people away and you also lose value on a str8 if made later down the road. Good luck on the felts!

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
IMO, for me is an Strategy; if I switch from betting to just cheq the others players will think right away: I miss the flop and that might be the case, but If I continue betting with the Cbet strategy and they are also out of luck, they 75% of times Fold. so in fact you may call it a Bluff but is also an strategy! :deal:

B

BigD23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if they don't have a pair then your hand should be best still.... so its technically not a bluff say your AK vs someones AQ and both miss the flop

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see it as information.
See whether the speculative callers are willing to continue, have they caught anything, or drawing to something?
Also what information is being given away by not continuation betting.

B

BrianM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion its to keep the heat on other players, if they don't have a hand you're often able to get that read if they fold. sometimes you can cook yourself if they reraise

Z

zeroneon33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most times i find that you will win especially if the other person doesnt get any cards on the flop

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in tournys i definatly bet if my preflop raise was big only heads up tho

M

mbrown1025

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I, personally, think this style of betting is not only irritating to others in the room, but it's also a dumb way to play. It makes you seem like a child playing with their parents computer... The only way I would see this type of bluff-betting on a continual basis working, is when it's in a one-on-one game play situation. BUt, this is just my opinion. :)

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars