commited?

V

vdubber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wanted to get your take on when you are in the BB or even SB and someone raises do you feel you are pot commited since you are in the blinds? or even if you arent in the blinds and just call and than someoen raises do you feel you are pot commited? anyway.. just wanted some advice..

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of different answers to your question, and a lot of the answers depend on a lot different things including the size of the blinds, the aggression of your opponents, your position at the table and the size of your stack. You need to consider all these when making a decision on what you should do should you come into a raise when you are in the blinds.

This is a a difficult question because you could write a book on it!

You would be better off posting some hands histories and asking for some analysis, particularly when you are paying blinds

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but you always need a good hand to fight with out of the blinds cause you always act 1st.

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Colin said, it depends on a lot of things whether or not to call the raise from the blinds, and there's a big difference between cash games and tournaments. But as a general rule, you should often fold when you are in the blinds and someone raises. You need a decent hand to fight with, because you will be out of position on every street, and it's very likely your opponent has a very good hand. So no, I don't fell potcommited when I'm in the blinds, and neither should you feel.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you are pot-committed when in the blinds...though that doesn't necessarily warrant calling a hand when you are raised.
Some things to consider when making a call from the blinds:

1) who is raising you and from what position is he raising? (does he raise the blinds, or steal, often? - if so then you can loosen your hand selection a bit).
2) you have to consider the fact that you'll have to act first (you're out of position), and that means that you generally should have a pretty strong hand.

When i play cash games, i nearly always fold my blind to raises to advertise my tight image. I'll even fold (actually especially) to a minraise to show just how tight I am, and so they know when i play a hand, i've REALLY got a hand.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FWIW, I don't consider being in the blinds to be pot-committed. I view your blinds as money that is not yours anymore. So it's a question of position/holecards/and pot odds.

Very rarely do i play a hand in sb/raised bb, that I would not play in any other position. The exception might be every once in a while I'll limp in with a A3s type of hand. Say I'm in BB for .10, and it's been raised to .20, with 4 ppl besides me in the hand.. I may limp in because of the implied odds if I hit my flush.

The only instance I can think of that would make you pot-committed is if you're short-stacked deep in a MTT. Where the blind is like 50% or more of your chips. It may be worth going all-in preflop if you have a face card.. or just go in blind.

Anyway, I think it's best to never think of the blinds as "your money".

P

pokerhannes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy answear, i am not commited.
If i call depends on, what player he is(agre/passiv), how much he raises with, his position, stack size and of course ur own cards.

If many of these are negative for me, i fold without questions

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reading TOP(i think its TOP...its some book anywyas) that syas if you're in the BB and someone min raises and there are 3 callers, you have the odds to call the min raise with even a measely 26suited. You're getting nearly 10:1 in that situation. (9.5:1 if the small blind folds)

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is what I did for ring games to analyze my play. I wrote down every hand that I played and how much I lost or won with it and what beat me if it was a showdown. I would then look at the end of the session and see how much I lost or won in the SB and BB.

Example
SB
:Ah: :9H: limp +.55
:Kc: :Qd: 3BB -1.5, lost to better kicker

You get the idea. It helps you see exactly what hands you are playing in the blinds when you are at a positional disadvantage. You can quickly see how you are playing your blinds and if you are leaking money by not folding or not playing enough in them.

I think in a session if you are even money or alittle behind you are doing ok. You usually only make money if you hit a hidden monster or catch a set on the flop that pays you off big.