Can’t keep my chips

B

Bully

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Good afternoon, like the title says, I can’t hold on to my chips. Let me explain I’m a 1/3 sometimes 2/5 . when I sit at the 1/3 table , I come short staked most of the time, and never have a problem getting my chip stack up to 500-700 . This is when the problem start for me. Not folding soon enough, calling down, scared to bet like was i was betting with little stack.. when i get deep i can never go deeper , i seem to get coolered alot and the river kills all the time. Can i get some advice. I really feel I’m getting better cause I’m not losing much anymore cause i run soon as i make 200. -300 dollars

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean I think you answered some of your own questions right? Calling down too much?

Also you need long-term sample sizes. Make sure that your rolled properly, and just start playing the game long-term. Look at your stats then. Also, check your leaks. There's always up and down swings. Either in the short term or longer term. Poker is a long-term game with long-term strategies of repeatedly making the best most correct decisions over long periods of time. Which also goes hand in hand with making the least amount of mistakes, regardless of what those mistakes may be. Then you will see profits.

Also don't go in to the game short stacked. Go in with a full stack and keep yourself topped off.

My advice is don't play the cash game like what you think of cash game is and or like everybody else is playing. Play It like It's a tournament. Act like those chips are precious. Constantly ask yourself, do I feel I have the best hand? If not do I feel that if I push they will fold and buy the pot? Can I win this anyway?. And each time you enter a hand pre flop make a plan, don't go minute by minute. That's when you make mistakes.

I usually ask myself am I willing to go all in with this hand? Either pre-flop or most latest at the flop. Like as in if you can see the flop cheaply with five six suited... And you hit both an open ended straight and a flush draw, plus one of your cards is paired.... On the flop and somebody shoves on you. Or better yet you shove in adding to your equity with fold.equity, plus you're open-ended straight draw and flush draw with an already paired card. That's like a monster draw. Especially if that flush draw is a straight flush. I mean that's the most ideal situation you can think of lol, but you get the idea even half of that would be pretty good if you had the right odds.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Hey there! It sounds like you're making progress with your game, which is great to hear! One thing to consider might be adjusting your strategy when you've built up a decent stack. Remember to stay disciplined with your hands, avoid being too passive, and try not to get discouraged by tough beats. Also, maybe try setting some goals for your sessions - like working on specific aspects of your game, rather than just focusing on the money. Keep grinding, and the results will follow!

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hello. It may sound strange: if you limit yourself to the area where you are profitable and in which you feel comfortable, you have nothing to lose. It will expand by itself, don't force yourself to expand too quickly. Good luck!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, if you know how to collect chips from other players, then you are already a good player. You can't hold on to your chips because you feel confident and think that now you have a lot of chips and you're getting into unnecessary giveaways, which you can't do, you need to have patience and everything will be fine

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes , keep cashing out after a nice start and make a table change (or game change) with a smaller stack, or wait an hour and rebuy !

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good afternoon, like the title says, I can’t hold on to my chips. Let me explain I’m a 1/3 sometimes 2/5 . when I sit at the 1/3 table , I come short staked most of the time, and never have a problem getting my chip stack up to 500-700 . This is when the problem start for me. Not folding soon enough, calling down, scared to bet like was i was betting with little stack.. when i get deep i can never go deeper , i seem to get coolered alot and the river kills all the time. Can i get some advice. I really feel I’m getting better cause I’m not losing much anymore cause i run soon as i make 200. -300 dollars
You have to play less and study more.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont waste your chips on marginal hands, i have learned my lesson

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are several factors that could be at play here beyond the issues you point out already---
1 your Villains play poorly vs short stacks but ok against larger stacks and you are not recognizing that.
2 The Villains that you are beating may be leaving the table to be replaced by more competent players
3 lastly you may be thinking that your edge is greater than it is vs all player types and therefore are expecting a greater return than warranted. If this is the case winning and leaving is the best course of action

:unsure::geek:

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I mean why in the world would you ever handicap yourself by intentionally buying in with a short stack?, that's just putting a target on your back and putting yourself at a disadvantage right from the start.

I think you answered your own question, stop chasing, learn to fold, buy in with the max and don't make yourself scared to play by sitting there with a short stack!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Speed is not a good help here. If you like speed, don't play poker. Every time you make a decision, the faster you do it, the more likely you are to make a mistake.Plan ahead at least one or two steps.There are situations that are difficult to predict, and situations that are often repeated. There are common cases that you really should have seen coming. Smart players always know the answer to all the above questions before they make their move.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
I will respond to your statement
For this I will tell you that I am playing cash NL5 every day, more than 70,000 hands per month, so I study my game a lot and the hands I play.
To not suffer so much in a hand you have to analyze that the game on the 4 streets is very important, but for me the most important of all is the flop because since a showdown gives you 5 cards of information, this first part gives you a 60% of those possibilities so you can see how you have to act accordingly in the next 2 streets.
For me, the best strategy, which is the one my coach taught me, is to ask yourself questions.
Preflop: should I pay a reriase? Should I open in this position??? etc
flop: See how the bet continues on the next street according to the hand you have connected and the possible outs that both you and your rival may have.
And in the next 2 streets see what equity you have to continue paying or betting.
An example would be: You have Ajs and decide to pay a reraise from a player who we assume has AKo
On a flop A32 lands with the 2s of your suit
If your opponent bets, you pay. But on the turn, for example, a 6 falls that is no longer in your suit and you cannot connect a flush and your opponent goes all-in.
That's where you have to see the situation. In that situation I fold, because I don't expect my opponent to have a weak hand, but rather he almost certainly has a higher kicker than mine with the Ace high.
Now, if the 6 that falls on the turn is in the suit of my suited, then I could have considered calling because my odds would have increased considerably. I would now have not only the Js for a double pair but also the 9 remaining suit cards, and even the possible situation that my opponent was bluffing me with KK for example or QQ.

For me, this is where you should rethink how you should improve your game.

Greetings Carlos

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With so many loose, maniac, nonsense players in the poker world nowadays, be patience tight aggressive style is the key.

Poker Chips - History of Chips