Calling from the small blind

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually fold most of my hands at small blind as i don't want to play in bad position, but i'm able to make the call nearly 20%, with a specific range of hand, suited connectors, broadways and small pair. I'll raise about 5% at the small blind.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with calling with a lot of those medium to weak hands OOP, is what do you do with middle or bottom pair? If you bet, then you may get called by draws or weaker made hands and then what do you do on the turn? If you check, you're just asking to be bluffed off the hand. If you bet, you're putting money in when you probably aren't ahead of his range. So really middle pair is just about as good as nothing when you're in the SB in these 3-way or more pots. And if it's 3-way, do you really have odds to call for the 5 percenter flopped monster or the rare occasions when you do hit top pair on a low flop? Probably not. Now, if there are many players who have limped, I will probably limp with a lot of low connectors and suited hands and go for a monster, but I'm not putting anything in with one pair.

Oh, and regarding the scenario where just the button limps, why would you ever just limp in the SB? I'm raising there EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm playing the hand. The button limp is so weak that I think the fold equity outweighs almost any hand you could see the flop with. I think there's an argument for limping big pairs there, but I'd probably raise them too in order to disguise my hand. I suppose if the limper is a tricky, aggressive player and it really looks like a trap, I might limp some drawing hands, but I think this is almost always better as a raise.

Y

yankeenut23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to fold the small blind way to often as well. Then I go DOH' when I see I woulda flopped trips or two pair.
I might just play the small blind more! Thanks for the post..got me thinking;)

S

sd great 1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the cards are not worthy of quality raise from another postion on the table don't try and get cute with them. fold your already behind in the with your postion.

A

annie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold the sb often. I only play with premium hands or if everyone has limped and I have suited connectors. When the blinds get really high, I loosen my requirements to include more hands and just use my best judgements regarding who limped in and how aggressive the bb is, how many bb I have in my stack.

L

lmille4574

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play my small blind more short handed than I do at a full table. Keep in mind with small and big blinds same knowledge applies the blind is not always woirth protecting. I see alot of players push allin from small or big blind because they think they have to protect it. THis is not always the case. Some blinds just aren't worth playing. If you are going to play you sm blind atleast make sure they are value hands, suited connectors, possible draw hands or lo-med pockets. Playing any 2 suited is not good idea for one reason if the high card hits you have a crap kicker if the lo card hits you have a good kicker but bigger chance that someone has a better hand. Play smart it will work.

D

diamondace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on how many players called the blind at the table how big is your stack and the stack of the others how good is your hand which kind of player is the bb like that.

Y

__yeppers__

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
too many donks in most freerolls, if you have a big hand ya better play it and playit hard

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for the initial responses here to this post. It seems to have gotten a bit off-topic now though (freerolls are full of donks, etc.,,.. huh??). Basically it was in reference to relatively deepstacked play, say 20bb's+ in sng or mtt, with one or no limpers in. I rarely play from the small blind,... not into playing a marginal hand out of position. Was just curious as to what some other's 'general' guidelines were for calling from the small blind (not a raise... just a limper in).
tks.