S

SiMor29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

I've got a question about SB play. Too often I have found myself calling with anything whilst in the small blind if there is 1 or more caller behind me for what I consider simple pot odds.

What do you think of this play?

Say for example I'm in the SB and i'm dealt 27 off suit. Two players call say one in middle, one in late position. So if the blinds are .10/.20 There is .70 in the pot and it costs me .10 to call.

Is it a sound enough play to call this hand, based purely on the pot odds available?

I only ask becuase it seems that most often the hand doesn't hit and I end up having to muck it.

It's got me to the point where i'm wondering if it's worth the call at all, 7-1 or not.

Any advice?

S

SiMor29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take just now for example. I'm in the SB, folds around to the button, who calls 40. I have 3s jc and call, BB checks. Flop comes down QQ5, button raises, I fold. Wasting an additional 20 chips in the process.

Bad play all round, but what should I have done differently?

jasondavies

jasondavies

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, i used to play blind play very often if unraised, im sure alot of people do, it is cheap for you, and yes you do get good odds on your money, but that can aslo be a good way to spend money in the long run,

i found i play unraised SB same as you, any 2 will do, i found it to be a good waste of money in the long run, do you have poker tracker or poker office? if not get one of them, then assess your SB play, money won/lost for me, only 639 hands (i lost my whole history when last computer fried) but SB 83 times/13.25% won/36.14% saw flop/$won -5.95,

now days, i limit myself to cards that have 3 card straight or flush possibilities, i will see a flop if i have 34 off in other words, but not 37, also, i try not to bite at the suited cards unless one is 8 or above

but thats just me, and i only went up to $1/$2 limit last week, so i still have a lot to learn

hope i helped

S

SiMor29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. I know it seems silly to forego any sort of starting requirement in favour of pot odds. I think i'm gonna start doing something similar to you, where I do have to have a minimum holding before i'll play.

It makes sense I suppose, I guess i'm just a sucker for those great pot odds. Hehe.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play almost three time as many hands out of the SB. I'll call with any ace,king,sometimes queen. thats only if I've been winning at the table though.