Calling a raise with suited connectors?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your are set mining your implied odds need to be like 10x what you put in isn't it? Well what about suited connectors? because you will normally only hit a draw and not hit straights or flushes. So how do I know when I am getting odds to call a raise preflop?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your are set mining your implied odds need to be like 10x what you put in isn't it? Well what about suited connectors? because you will normally only hit a draw and not hit straights or flushes. So how do I know when I am getting odds to call a raise preflop?

Mmm, I'll get my opinion on this and it may be wrong. If I'm getting 8/1 or better, I'm calling to see a flop and I guess it depends on if they are low/mid/high connectors too. Of course if it's a big raise with only a couple of people involved I'm folding. I could only warrant a call if everyone was involved and the raise was big lol.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Maybe instead of exclusively looking for exact odds try to pay attention to these factors:

1)What type of player made the initial raise?
2)What position are you in and what position is villain in?
3)How many players are in the hand or are left to act?

There are probably a few others I'm missing, but the main point is you shouldn't be playing these hands for the sole purpose of hitting the straight or flush.

B

BigBelle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think there is a difference whether you are playing a cash game versus a tournament. But I agree with Likminutz that you need to be thinking about more than hitting your hand when playing suited connectors. Particularly position and whether your opponents can be bluffed are really important.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And also difference in Full ring And 6 max...:)

T

teddykgb47

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Likminutz,

It is not only about the implied odds. You also need to consider a few things:

1. Position - in general it is hard to be good for the SC's to be played effectively. Otherwise, even if you hit a strong hand, you'll notice it is very hard to extract a lot from your opponent(s) without position.

2. How loose are your opponents pre flop.

3. Are you likely to get action from the pre flop raiser if you hit big on the flop, or is he a nit and will most likely fold?

4. What is your image at the table - loose, tight? each one of them will have its own benifits when it comes to playing SC's. Ask for more details if you would like to hear what I have to say on this :)

5. Do you have a chance of winning the pot even without hitting a made hand/super draw? can you bluff your opponent out of the hand if he misses what you believe to be his range?

6. Have you went to showdown with suited connectors at this table before? If you did, players will be more likely to be wary of you having them.

It is also a good idea to mix it up pre flop sometimes,especially on the mid to higher stakes, by re-raising the SC's pre flop (when in position), this gives the connectors a whole new dimension.

By the way, hi guys, my first post!

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe instead of exclusively looking for exact odds try to pay attention to these factors:

1)What type of player made the initial raise?
2)What position are you in and what position is villain in?
3)How many players are in the hand or are left to act?

There are probably a few others I'm missing, but the main point is you shouldn't be playing these hands for the sole purpose of hitting the straight or flush.

This.

And how big is the raise? You should only be calling a small raise with suited connectors, since the likelihood is that you will be folding on the flop unless you hit hard or have an awesome draw.

Do remember that, with suited connectors, you actually want a lot of other players in the hand so your implied odds are sufficient. So you don't re-raise nor do you stay in when there is only one other person, especially one who has bet hard.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What Ive learned is....

With SC type hands Fold equity is what your basing most of your hand strength on.

So a few things you should be thinking to yourself is....

I have 7c8c on the BTN.
What is the action like? (raiser?, raiser+caller?, limp & iso raise?, etc.) and how your hand will play both PRE & POST flop against this action.
3-bet, call or fold.
Who is my opponent/s? Regs,fish,nits, etc.
Will I get paid if I flop a monster?
Can I just take it down now vs. this opponent.
What will the blinds do after I act?

Start there. There arent many default plays in cash. Learn that early.

GL

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have already told you.....

You need to consider a lot of factors in this situation...
Your position, amt of the raise, the number of players, both ahead of you and still to act
and how much of your stack will you be investing to call the raise
and then see 3 more streets.

I usually decide my actions based on what I know about the table, is it loose, tight, passive aggressive etc.

:cool:

S

steortex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i think only a small raise can you justify calling

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i think only a small raise can you justify calling

flatting because its a small raise wont get you anything but another leak to fix.

I learned that the hard way.

Shady Vision

Shady Vision

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flatting because its a small raise wont get you anything but another leak to fix.

I learned that the hard way.

Care to go a bit deeper into this? I think I know where it's headed but want someone else's take on it.

Are you implying that they are making a small raise with a better hand to get you to follow or that they are drawing and just flatting allows them to catch the draw?