C9 Made 5 Mistakes Playing the Funny Min-Raise Games

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since FP called out my manhood, I had to make this poast. I also made 50 bucks in this session so nyah (gogo results oriented).

Mistake #1

7 Card Stud 8 or better

XXXX - Pocket [H H 4h]
XXXX - Pocket [H H Jd]
Villain - Pocket [H H 7h]
XXXX - Pocket [H H Qc]
XXXX - Pocket [H H 8c]
XXXX - Pocket [H H 3c]
Hero - Pocket [5d 7c 8d]
XXXX - Bring-In $0.50
Hero - Calls $0.50
XXXX - Folds
XXXX - Folds
Villain - Calls $0.50
XXXX - Folds
XXXX - Folds
*** 4TH STREET ***
Villain - Pocket [H H 7h 6s]
XXXX - Pocket [H H 3c Qh]
Hero - Pocket [5d 7c 8d 9d]
XXXX - Checks
Hero - Checks
Villain - Bets $1
XXXX - Folds
Hero - Folds

This is a peel here on 4th. I thought since the pot was small, and I lost a six, that this was a fold. I always look for reasons to fold my hand early on when it looks like I'm drawing to half and the pot is small. However, I ran this particular hand through the troutulator and given villain is an unknown at $1/$2 that just limped, I believe his range was wide enough to peel here with a gutshot, 3-flush, and backdoor low draw. I think as long as I'm disciplined in folding 5th a lot here, then 4th street should be a call.

evcalc.jpg

Mistake #2

$2/$4 Limit Omaha H/L, 9 Players

Pre-Flop: Hero is SB with 3 A 3 7
2 folds, Villain calls, 3 folds, BTN calls, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: (4.0 SB) 4 6 Q (4 players)
Hero bets, 1 fold, Villain calls, 1 fold

Turn: (3.0 BB) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero 3-bets

Villain is a solid reg, and given his flat call on the flop, and turn raise, there's really nothing to put him on here other than A3. My high hand is 33, and even if I give villain a random A3 here, I don't have enough equity to 3-bet. I just got caught up with the fact that my draw was so huge and that I had blockers to A3, that I forgot to realize that even with a pair of fours, my opponent is ahead here, and likely to quarter me. Maybe putting 35 in villain's range would give me enough equity to make the 3-bet, but its thin at best. Since my opponent is solid, I usually think he has at least some sort of high hand here, and if villain has 35, it usually has an ace to go with it.

ProPokerTools Omaha Hi/Lo Simulation
600,000 trials (Randomized)
board: 4 6 Q 2
3♠ A 3 7 49.91%
A3** 50.09%

3♠ A 3 7 54.68%
A3**, 35** 45.32%

Mistake #3

7 Card Stud 8 or better
*** 6TH STREET ***
Villain - Pocket [H H 4h 2h 6c 5d]
Hero - Pocket [4s 2d 2c 4d Ac 6d]
Hero - Checks
Villain - Bets $2
Hero - Calls $2

When villain bets here, it costs me $4 to see showdown, and if I win half (my scoop percentage is negligible) I win $8.90. So I'm getting 2.2:1 odds, and I have 2.6:1 equity. Seems like a losing play to me. I just don't give fishy villains like this enough credit, since even with their board and two random cards, I'm still not in great shape.

mistake.jpg

Mistake #4

This hand, I thought I might be making a similar mistake, but this spot was a lot closer. So I went ahead and wrote it down as a possible mistake, turns out that I was correct here. But I'm going to go ahead and analyze the situation, since its fairly interesting.

7 Card Stud 8 or better
Villain - Pocket [H H 3d 7s 6h 5s]
Hero - Pocket [Jh Jd 7h 7c Kh 4h]
Hero - Checks
Villain - Bets $2
Hero - Calls $2

So I figured this was a similar spot to mistake #3, however its different in three key ways:

1) My made hand is stronger than any two pair he can have, unless he has buried aces.

2) I have one of the fours he needs for a straight.

3) I have a much stronger draw to half the pot (flush & full house draws).

Thus when you simulate this hand vs. his range, things look a lot better, and I now have the equity I need to make this call down. Still not thrilled to be in this spot, but at least calling is a better option than folding.

nofold.jpg

Mistake #5

This mistake was pretty bone-headed, and obvious.

7 Card Stud 8 or better
*** 4TH STREET ***
Loose Fish- Pocket [H H 5d 10c]
Hero - Pocket [3c Kc 2h 2d]
Hero - Bets $1
Loose Fish - Calls $1

When villain bricks, I decide to make a bluff at this pot (even with a pair, I'm still only have 48% equity against his range. And since my hand is face up, and its only a pair of deuces, I'm in a real RIO spot here. And bluffing loose fish is usually a good way to lose money. I just kinda brain-farted and thought I could get a decent number of folds here.

Last edited:
flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mistake #2

$2/$4 Limit Omaha H/L, 9 Players

Pre-Flop: Hero is SB with 3 A 3 7
2 folds, Villain calls, 3 folds, BTN calls, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: (4.0 SB) 4 6 Q (4 players)
Hero bets, 1 fold, Villain calls, 1 fold

Turn: (3.0 BB) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero 3-bets

Villain is a solid reg, and given his flat call on the flop, and turn raise, there's really nothing to put him on here other than A3. My high hand is 33, and even if I give villain a random A3 here, I don't have enough equity to 3-bet. I just got caught up with the fact that my draw was so huge and that I had blockers to A3, that I forgot to realize that even with a pair of fours, my opponent is ahead here, and likely to quarter me. Maybe putting 35 in villain's range would give me enough equity to make the 3-bet, but its thin at best. Since my opponent is solid, I usually think he has at least some sort of high hand here, and if villain has 35, it usually has an ace to go with it.

3♠ A 3 7 49.91%
A3** 50.09%

3♠ A 3 7 54.68%
A3**, 35** 45.32%

I am not 100% sure that this is a mistake. Your analysis might be skewed by your results. I think villain is likely to have a high hand and A22 in the spot quite often. In addition, If he is a really good player he would raise your lead quite lightly because he could think that you might have just paired that turn with something like A2xx with flush draw or A24x. There is always a chance that villain is bluffing although in limit games its a very minor consideration. Overall, I do agree that calling is likely to be the better play in this hand - but I don't think that 3-betting is really a mistake, especially if it helps you create a somewhat loose image.

Top 10 Games