Boy how things have changed

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to be a regular in here, around 2008-2010, before getting really sick and cashing out of poker completely to pay hospital bills. Fast forward a decade, and the way that people talk about poker has changed a great deal, and makes me feel like I need to relearn how to think about this game.

Learning ranges, and how to calculate them on the fly seems really daunting, even though it's something I feel like I already intuitively did without putting into those words. Am I over thinking this? has the game really changed that much from 2010 to now?

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that yes, poker always has new trends and those who do not update are left behind.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to be a regular in here, around 2008-2010, before getting really sick and cashing out of poker completely to pay hospital bills. Fast forward a decade, and the way that people talk about poker has changed a great deal, and makes me feel like I need to relearn how to think about this game.

Learning ranges, and how to calculate them on the fly seems really daunting, even though it's something I feel like I already intuitively did without putting into those words. Am I over thinking this? has the game really changed that much from 2010 to now?

Depends on the games you are playing really. Fish is still Fish, alltough it's safe to say that the overall skill has increased. VS regulars you will have a much harder time nowadays. Alltough even they play far from optimal.

I feel like learning ranges is a good starting point. Just to play good (given the situation) preflop, which translates into a stronger postflop game. Now as said, you want to adapt them given how your opponent plays.

You could also buy a starter course from one of the trainigsites and work that trough. The information will be out there for free, but it will give you some structure.

Last edited:
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think about ranges intuitively as well. Computers (and I guess bots) calculate the odds for every hand and every card to the n'th degree. We humans rely on our background knowledge and experience to arrive at a general estimate that will do quite nicely.

Welcome back btw!

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the games you are playing really. Fish is still Fish, alltough it's safe to say that the overall skill has increased. VS regulars you will have a much harder time nowadays. Alltough even they play far from optimal.

I feel like learning ranges is a good starting point. Just to play good (given the situation) preflop, which translates into a stronger postflop game. Now as said, you want to adapt them given how your opponent plays.

You could also buy a starter course from one of the trainigsites and work that trough. The information will be out there for free, but it will give you some structure.

any sites you'd reccommend? I started playing live games again this past weekend and it felt like riding a bike. Just playing a TAG-ish game put me up big pretty fast so I started trying to consume more content, but they started talking about ranges, I started to get overwhelmed.

Essentially, balancing my ranges, and working though my opponents ranges is probably a skill that i'll just have to practice.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Welcome back! :)

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any sites you'd reccommend? I started playing live games again this past weekend and it felt like riding a bike. Just playing a TAG-ish game put me up big pretty fast so I started trying to consume more content, but they started talking about ranges, I started to get overwhelmed.

Essentially, balancing my ranges, and working though my opponents ranges is probably a skill that i'll just have to practice.

They are mostly the same as far as "elementary" courses go imo. Best value would probably be RIO, as you also get access to a huge library of videos.

Just for some reference in terms of avarge skill you could compare 1/2 live with microstakes online. So with solid fundamentals and a tight approach you should do really well there. If you want to take it further I would start documenting your own game to review your sessions, whilst working on your study material. This is probably easier online, but not impossible live.

Thinking in ranges will come over time, especially if you have a decent idea of your own ranges.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I too was off for a long time, after we Americans got kicked off the internet playing I stopped playing altogether.
I got an email from CC on my birthday wishing me happy birthday and that indeed there was sites you could play on now. It took a bit to get my bearing right, I feel I play better now than before, mostly because I was relatively new to online games and was just starting to get the real hang of it all.
Now I can look back and see some glaring mistakes I was making. lol
I have tried some different sites, I play on intertops a bit; sng's at times are hard to get anyone to play. ACR is one that CC has freerolls on as well as Intertops, I haven't played on ACR in a long time.
Welcome back, glad you are feeling better.

joebenigno

joebenigno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like your average fish has definitely gotten better. Gone are the days of someone stacking off with anything less than a flush on a 3flush board IMO

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There have always been so called fish,but fish sure win a lot in free rolls.Call raises with nothing,go all in with nothing and hope for the best.Just play on total luck,no skill at all.This has not changed.