Bluffing in the micros

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have another question about HUDs. For someone who aspires to eventually play live poker, tournaments and tables, wouldn't HUDs hurt in the long run?

Not really. You just have to work at it a bit more, that's all. Make your own "HUD" by keeping notes on your live regs. Get one of those assignment notebooks from the school supply section of your local pharmacy/grocery store.etc that will fit nicely in a shirt pocket, and take notes on their tendencies. You could either do this off the table, or right there. There's a certain intimidation factor that can work in your favor if the regs are left wondering what you're writing. You could also do this with a PDA between hands as well.

Doesn't it make more sense to develop intuition and memory in order to become a top level player rather than rely on the machine?
This is always important regardless of whether you use a "machine" or not. The only thing a HUD can do for you is tell you how a player played in the past. You need to know how he's playing right now when you're playing a pot with him. Is a normally strong player off his game for some reason? Has the weak/passive finally had enough of your pushing him around all the time? Did his dog get run over this morning, he just found out his kid's flunking out of college, and his wife's seeing a divorce lawyer and he's taking his troubles out on his bankroll -- no HUD can tell you these things, only memory and intuition. You develop this by practicing.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't bluff in micros just make good hands and get paid off by the bluffers lol

T

thatmaximilian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Know your players. I play against 10NL regs, and I know who the FoFs are. Pick spots where it looks like they've whiffed, and barrel them. If they missed, they're gone. If a two-barrel doesn't work, then don't fire that third barrel: they have something.

Also, if you're at a foldie table, sometimes hit it from UTG with ATC: you just might pick up the blinds. I don't make a habit of it, but do it enough to keep 'em guessing.

Most of these players are so clueless they never catch on. Also, know who the stations are and never bluff at them. Take 'em to Value Town instead.

When multi-tabling, just fuggedabouddit! You can't pay as much attention as you need to to pick up on who's doing what, who's off their game today, who's getting better over time (it does happen). Who's giving off live tells, and, yes, they do exist on-line. Stick with ABC while multi-tabling and forget about running any 2 or 3 barrel bluffs.

in microstakes i would play abc and only make plays when i have notes. it's not worth the hassle. you make enough money multitabling abc

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to put a bluff have to know how to do , see how many players are in hand, what kind of player he is , but that many things are playing ABC poker is not profitable micro is to improve your game think that always

anonimalit

anonimalit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all tabble cash game i like start with 100bbs !

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont also use HUDs.

Since we have limited info on opponents, it is just best to play ABC poker.

I totally disagree when you would change stake when reach 20bi.

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good luck

I moved up from 5NL to 10NL, then from 10NL to 16NL, now i have moved back down to 10NL (i change stakes when i reach 20bi of next level) and my main worry is bluffing in the micros.

What are people's main strategies when bluffing in the micros, is it just cbet give up, or what?

I have no HUD but do take some notes and i play 4 tables at a time and sometimes i triple barrell and lose half my stack, but other times i can double barrell and make my opponent fold, so what is a good general guidline?

As raiser and 3bet raiser.

Thank you

I wish you the best trying to bluff in the game. since most of the people on free rolls calls you every thing.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in microstakes i would play abc and only make plays when i have notes. it's not worth the hassle. you make enough money multitabling abc

That's a very myopic view. It might not be "worth the hassle" in strictly financial terms. However, I don't just play micros because I have nothing better to do, or to win nickles and dimes. I also play them to keep sharp, to practice focusing on who's playing good enough for me to run a bluff, who's the fish, Whose game is showing signs of improvement or deterioration, who's as fishy today as they were six months ago.

It's definitely worth the hassle when the real money comes out in live play. Practice and experimentation at the micros is also a helluvalot cheaper as well.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't bluff in micros just make good hands and get paid off by the bluffers lol
I disagree. I just got back from a 10NLHE game where I picked up $13.00 and never held a hand in 3 hours.

I opened for 3BB from early MP with pocket 5's. FoF_1 repops for 2.60 on the BTN. FoF_2 cold calls out of the SB. I knew these players, and both are the epitome of FoF. I call when it comes back to me since there's a good chance I can either stack off if I trip up, or take it away from them if I don't.

The flop comes down A, rag, rag -- 2 hearts. I check it. FoF_1 checks, and so does FoF_2. That's what I'm waiting for, and I know they have nothing. Black 6 rolls off on the turn, and I lead out for 5.50. Both instafold.

Later, pick up AhKd and open on the BTN. BB 3! and I call. FoF_1 who limped also calls. Flop comes all spades, and BB checks, FoF_1 checks, and I pot it with an ace high. Both fold. Lock up another 5.00.

That made up the lion's share of the profits, that and stealing the blinds. Never got to show down. It's unusual to have two situations come up in the same session where you can run a big bluff.

The micros are no different from the macros. It's all about knowing your players, their weaknesses, and exploiting them when the situation is right.

1eCc0

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't bluff in micros just make good hands

B

bizbakol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluff is good, in the most cases the opponent will fold, if you raise just a little bit of 0.02$ if you play on 0.01/0.02$ tables.

axilleas1992

axilleas1992

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2-7 is the best hand to bluff. try and remember me.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't bluff never in the micros.
Your double negatives cancel each other out, so your saying yes you should bluff in the micros, lol.:p

``````````````````````````````````````````````````

You can't bluff all the time in the micros, but against a thinking opponent it is possible. It's all situational dependent, and without a HUD it is going to be much tougher if your multi-tabling. There is this saying that I heard here a few years ago that has always stuck with me.."You can't make sophisticated plays against unsophisticated players."

If there is a guy at the table playing every hand down to the river with bottom pair, your not going to bluff him off a hand.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the flop comes and it's heads-up, then I tend to c-bet and give up against most unknowns.
I'll need a read for a second barrel.

When it's 3-way, there's no need to bluff. You're going to get called far too often for it to be profitable in the micros. Unless you have really good reads, but you rarely do in the micros, imo.

At the lowest stakes, just play tight, and value-bet when you hit.

Ljuk358

Ljuk358

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing in micros isn't good idea. Yes, you can earn some free cent's but better way is waiting to right moment and situation...

D

dr_pepper

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a bluff?

Are we talking about full bluffs as in hands that have no chance? Or semi bluffs?

T

ThanJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont believe in HUDs.

The fact of the matter is, you cant bluff an avg player. Bluffs work amongst pros and thats the end of it. Solid ABC poker gets the job done in lows and micros.

Well HUDs do exist, unlike Bigfoot or Unicorns. Also why wouldn't you want to take advantage of a tool that helps you with your game, especially one that your opponents are likely using on you as well?

kissapig

kissapig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't bluff at all if you want to be a TAG player.

Attachments

• rainbowunicorn.jpg
    rainbowunicorn.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffs in microlimits is very stupid. Everytime your opponents is stupid donkey and can not folded any combination.

D

dr_pepper

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should you play a draw aggressicely? Does that count as a bluff? As the hand of not made.

T

ThanJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should you play a draw aggressicely? Does that count as a bluff? As the hand of not made.

Semi bluffing is different than bluffing with air. The old adage is that you shouldn't bluff with no outs, therefore you should pretty much only be semi-bluffing so you might be able to get there.

The answer to your question is, it depends. Especially on the player you are playing against AND your percentage to win the hand. For example, it's better to semi-bluff against a tighter player than a loose cannon. Also, there may be times when your draw is actually a favorite to win the hand (like two overs and a flush draw to a mid pair).

So things to remember:

Your position: you can be more aggressive IP with draws
Your odds to win the hand
Your opponents playing style
How others perceive your style
Stack size

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluff at the micros is practically useless unless very careful against players

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If You cant make bluffing with profit. maybe ABC poker best move?

R

roots10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need not bluffing in micro limits, play solid poker, and is already profitable.