Betting in early stages of micro-stackes-horse tourneys (1.25$ FT)

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanted to create this thread last week but was carried away a bit (rather a lot) because I felt my opp. soft-played and rigged the game - but enough of that....

When playing micro-stackes horse (limit) in my opinion standard rules for betting do not apply in the early stages of the game.

I suggest playing TP (tight passive) rather than TAG (tight aggressive) until the blinds have reached 50/100 or even 100/200 - exept nuts which should be maxed out on every possibility.

Hold'em:

You will have to fold lots of hands because there usually are 4 of 8 players raising practically EVERYTHING. I've seen betting rounds of 7x240 on the first hand rather often.

Just lean back and see how they eliminate themselves.

You can't put a read on anyone either because they're generally nuts.

Focus on those players who don't play every hand - they will be your opponents later.

Omaha hi and hi/low

Play only premium hands and try to see the flop as cheap as possible -
check everything before flop - no matter how good - because you'll get a raise anyway...
If you hit the nuts max to the limit.
For beginners: careful of the low part
- it can run you against the wall if there is no low -
look for well balanced hands like :ad4::kd4::as4::2s4:
e.g. double suited high pair and low

Razz:
Here you can chip up because many opponents think they understand razz but they don't - read the threads about razz for more info - so you can aquire chips here rather easily.

Stud hi / stud low
Here mostly too many players play weak hands, too.
(and raising on a pair like hell)
If you're good at stud give it a shot with a good starting hand (even better if hidden) or try and steal the bring-in if possible.

The 2nd and following rounds you should try to play more aggro given your "tight" image and frequently steal and broaden your range.

After the first round there might be 5-6 remaining players, 2 of them short-stacked and you in 3rd or 4th position.

Now it's really time to play.

GL, hope I didn't get it all wrong now - see you at the tables....
:tomato:

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars