Best way to play low pocket pair

K

Kashtree

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is how I like to play low pocket pairs.... notice the fold hehe.. gotta way with one.
Seat 1: PAPA*** (11696.00 in chips)
Seat 2: xFEC*** (9700.00 in chips)
Seat 3: lady*** (2145.00 in chips)
Seat 4: Kashtree (8464.00 in chips)
Seat 6: Sank*** (6645.00 in chips)
Seat 10: BIGJ*** (5958.00 in chips)
Sank***: posts small blind $50
lady***: posts big blind $100
Dealt to Kashtree [ 4h 4c ]
mach***: folds
nana***: folds
BIGJ***: folds
PAPA***: folds
xFEC***: calls
lady***: folds
Kashtree: raises to $450
smil***: folds
Sank***: folds
@@@ F_L_O_P @@@ [ As 5h 6d ]
xFEC***: checks
Kashtree: bets $1,050
xFEC***: folds
xFEC***: shows Jd Js
Kashtree: returns uncalled bet $1,050
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Kashtree: mucks
Kashtree wins $1,050

I

Igor30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that any of these low pocket guys would bet all-in pre-flop in cash table.In freerolls they don't have to worry about losing money,and many of them just wait to get some pair to go all in hoping that they win some chips in early phase of tournament!

kingsup23

kingsup23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lower pocket pairs are a tricky animal to play. On one hand if your facing an overpair and you hit your set your gonna make alot of money. But if you dont flop your set then you should get away from the hand with minimal loss. NEVER risk your tournament with a low pocket pair UNLESS you know your ahead (if your facing an overly aggressive player who might be playing A3 against your 44)

fish_sticks_77

fish_sticks_77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Phil Gordon's approach. You will hit a set 1 out of 8 times on the flop, make sure the implied odds are present to pay you off if you hit. Try to get in cheap but he will call up to a 5x preflop raise with a small or medium pocket pair because if he hits he'll probably be paid off in a big way because the hand is so deceptive. If someone else hits top pair or two-pair, they are hard hands to get away from, especially with online players' tendencies. If its a short table or heads-up, differing ranks become raising hands. In my continuing education, I think most of the time I need to hit a set to continue unless I am in good position, against one player and sense weakness. Or if there is a paired flop and the board is unlikely to have hit my opponent(s) hand(s)--but that is tricky for me still.

ZZFLOP

ZZFLOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is how I like to play low pocket pairs.... notice the fold hehe.. gotta way with one.
Seat 1: PAPA*** (11696.00 in chips)
Seat 2: xFEC*** (9700.00 in chips)
Seat 3: lady*** (2145.00 in chips)
Seat 4: Kashtree (8464.00 in chips)
Seat 6: Sank*** (6645.00 in chips)
Seat 10: BIGJ*** (5958.00 in chips)
Sank***: posts small blind $50
lady***: posts big blind $100
Dealt to Kashtree [ 4h 4c ]
mach***: folds
nana***: folds
BIGJ***: folds
PAPA***: folds
Kashtree: raises to $450
smil***: folds
Sank***: folds
@@@ F_L_O_P @@@ [ As 5h 6d ]
xFEC***: checks
Kashtree: bets $1,050
xFEC***: folds
xFEC***: shows Jd Js
Kashtree: returns uncalled bet $1,050
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Kashtree: mucks
Kashtree wins $1,050

I didn't get away with it :(
MTT - Poker Hand Replays

the_urge27

the_urge27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
low pocket pairs from 22-88 i suggest limpin and hope to flop a set-if you dont hit a set and the board is full of overcards-flushes or straights-then fold to any bet- 99-AA i would put in 3x blind raise and fold to a reshove with the exception of QQ KK AA-

J

jeffownsyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea low pocket pairs under 88 i would always limp on. If your lucky enough to hit your set then i would set up a trap and check call check call check allin.. Gets em every time

fish_sticks_77

fish_sticks_77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the check-call, check-call, check-all-in is great when it works but I think it is very situational & I don't think it can be the general approach when you hit trips. If the board is flushing or straightening, I thinks it's time to try to take down the pot and protect the hand or at least give them incorrect drawing odds. Slow playing can also give free cards to wary or observant opponents. Your table image is a factor too. If you seem super loose it will help. But if you've created yourself to be a trappy player, it might be better to do what they don't expect.

I think you should call raises pre-flop with pocket pairs if you have more than 30BB. They don't call them the silent killer for nothing. The implied odds can be huge, and if someone is showing strength before the flop they might spend all their chips on second best.

A

atnmsdaddy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just learned a whole lot of the pp i normally play them cheap and fold if the flop is high cards to my pocket unless it is another cheap bet

Archinutz

Archinutz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position...position...position. If no one raised I`d go 2.5 to 3X the BB, depending what postion i`m in (UTG, Dealer Button, etc.) especially in early stages of tourney. Other stges i`d limp in unless i`m in late postion with no raises then i would raise half or abitmore that half. Late stages intourney i ALWAYS raise. Sometimes i get paid off and at the same time disguising my future hands with similar plays.

BadAssOutlaw

BadAssOutlaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. never raise with them.. i never do and never will. i actually dont raise with any pocket pairs up to 10's.. 10's and up will usually get a raise out of me.

2. even if someone raises after i limp in, if it is still cheap to call, then i'll play... but if the raiser raises a good amount, then i'll fold my pocket pair...

3. don't chase the board for your trips... if someone else is betting and you're just sitting there with you're pocket 4's, waiting and waiting for that other 4 to come out.. you're wasting your chips away.. unless you absolutely sense a bluff, then get out cheap..

tertip

tertip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just limp in when its no raise befor and be happy when you hit your set
low pp maybe strong in HU but on a full table is it always dangerus.

mrknwitall

mrknwitall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ummmmmmmmm.... i would fold em if their 8 or lower if i'm being re-raised. thats all. Folding your pcokets depends upon a large number of factors such as aggressiveness on the table , blinds , type of tournament etc. So watch out. You have 8 or higher ? i suggest you raise high and make sure you've got just another player in the pot. Chances are low that he's got pockets of 8 or higher. N there , in all probability you've won ;)
Cheers! :)

peach68

peach68

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation. For example,.. if it's deepstack play, then I'm always calling with them to a 3xbb raise if I'm in position, in hopes of dragging in a huge pot when I hit the board. If I'm shortstacked in a sng style game, in mid.pos. I"m shoving allin. If it's early going in tournament, I'm trying to see flops for cheap in initial stages, remember the 5 10 rule for when stacks are still deep,.. I'm not going to call off any more than between 5 to 10% of my stack (in pos.,.. 'position' being important as I'm going to have to lay them down if it's 3-bet), and when I do call a raise, it'll only be if I feel I can get 12:1 on my money (opponent's stack has to be deep enough that if I do hit the set, I will get paid off,... otherwise it is just not worth it).
Not sure if this'll help ya any. Playing small pkt. prs. is really so situational that it's hard to comment here on this.
GL!

mrknwitall

mrknwitall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats not exactly how you must play a low pocket pair. This too largely depends on your table-image. i guess you must be an aggressive player.

I also lay a guess that xfec must be a tight player. So , the question arises:

Haveyou made table observation? Did you bet against xfec because you knew he was a tight-passive player and would fold to your bet?Would you have bet the same amount against a player on the table who was an aggressive one?

Answer the above questions 4 urself and GL :)

P

Phil922

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well w/ big stack I would limp as much as possible with pp. If in late position maybe put in a small raise just to take the pot down there. If small stack I would push more agro. I like to play them in multi way pots so when i flop set i can win a big pot. if you know the players i (sometimes) likw to play them against big pairs like AA KK so when you hit there is a good chance of winning a big pot. but there is many diff situations

G

GottaBust

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How to play small locket pairs

One thing I noticed no one has mentioned is the size of your stack or the rule of 5 and 10. When deciding to play a speculate hand like suited connectors or small to mid pocket pairs, you have to have a certain stack. With speculative hands, you have to remember the rule of 5 and 10. If someone raised and you are in late position with 22 and the call you have to make is less then 5 percent of your stack you should call, and if it's more then 10 percent of your stack you should fold. In between is a judgement call. However, this rule also applies to your opponents stack as well because you want to have the implied odds. You can raise early pos with 22 to help poliarize you're range but if you get reraised and it's more then 10% of your stack you should fold. I wouldn't do this with suited connectors though because position is really important with these hands. Pocket pairs it don't really matter because you either hit or you give up anyways. I hope I helped you, good luck on the tables :)