Being passive

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read your paragraph Hova and I agree with most of it. The one thing to add though is that there are many levels of aggressiveness and you can't treat them the same way. Some players are so aggressive that its ok to be passive when your hand is strong because they will keep doing the betting for you and if you raise they're probably done putting money in the pot and you lost value.

In general though, you should never show weakness to an aggressive player unless you're setting him up with a strong hand. On this I totally agree with you. The passive strategy is not good because you'll never know where you stand and he constantly will force you into very tough decisions, possibly for all your chips. The hand ex. that you made with AJ is a good one.

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, Hova.

Primarily, we mean break it up into paragraphs.

Any large body of text is vastly easier for the reader to follow if each new point or idea is presented as a new paragraph. It both helps him to separate one idea from the next and assists in the actual process of reading. In a large and monotonous block, you blink and you have lost your place.

Yeah you are right, I'll keep that in mind next time I post because I definitely agree with that

Yeah Joe, thats why I said its about 50/50 (well I play it more like 75/25 with the higher being my more aggressive play), because you definitely have the maniac thats just so outrageous that he'll just donk his chips off to you passively

My main point is before you consider playing passive you should first evaluate how much you like your hand, than based on what you know about the aggressive player you gotta put them on a hand, and if you can do that and based on what the board shows than you can determine from there whether you need to protect your hand or not.

If you can't determine what that person has and there are draws out there and you don't think you can call a big bet if one of the draws hits you miswell bet so he's not getting odds to call his draw if you think your hand was good (even though most maniacs don't understand this concept)

I had a hand I played today in this sit n go rounder it was this one player, true definition of a maniac. blinds are 10/20 and this dude literally calls every hand, even moderate raises especially if he has position. If the pot is checked to him he's guaranteed to bet the pot (if its one thing I hate its a online player that either bets the pot or doesn't bet the pot at all). he would bet the pot shell after shell and would stab at the pot with a potsized bet out of position with minimal callers to the hand

So a hand comes up where maniac is in middle position he's got like no callers in front of him and he raises it up the minimum bb so its 40 to play (starting stacks 1500 by the way), someone else calls in front of him and I call with kq suited and the flop comes qc 8c 5d. Maniac's first to act and bets the pot which is about 160, the next player calls im sure there was probably someone else in the hand that folded but im in position, so I raise it up 350 making sure to tax any draw chasers. Maniac thinks for about a second and than reraises all in, and the next player calls his all in.

Now at this point im thinking this is strange, he raised minimum bb, and I hate this raise especially in the early stages, but the thing was even though he called every hand even most of the raised ones, he never had literally raised the pot before so I was thinking even though his raise is small he definitely has to have some type of hand because he wouldn't raise otherwise. I have no real clue how he plays but he pushed all-in like he knows that he has a certified hand. So I figured he might have Aq and I could be outkicked, but even if he didnt I knew that he probably had something that could beat my queens with king kicker. Plus I figured he would've just called my raise if he had a decent hand based on the way he was playing because he wasn't deceptive enough to switch up his style.

The player that called his all in hand, I knew that I had his hand beat on the flop, because if he was stronger he wouldve raised the minimum raise preflop and if he had him on the flop for sure I figured he would've raised either to protect his hands from draws or simply because he would believe his hand is better.

So I think to myself I just can't call this all in bet not knowing fully how the maniac plays without at least 2 pair so I fold

Maniac turns over pocket aces (if he would've just called he probably couldve trapped me, but like I said I knew he wasn't really capable of trapping me like this, he had a mindset that he wanted to be the most aggressive). The other player ended up calling with a flush draw and ended up drawing out on him.

My point with this is If I didn't raise I think I might have got myself in hot water with this hand. Even though I lost about about 400 chips, I gained the information needed to know that I had to fold that hand.

If I would've just called than not only do I have to worry about draws, but judging by how aggressive he was when he had absolutely nothing I knew that I would have to be willing to call a pot sized bet on the turn no matter what card came. The turn came the flush card, which may have made it easier for me to lay down but it was no way I was putting maniac on that hand particularly and I still had no clue how the other player that called his all in played, so pending on what he did I might've been able to lay my hand down with the sit n go on the line.

If the flush card doesn't come on the turn than when the maniac bets the pot than I'm left with 2 actions, all in or fold, because I know no matter what he has he's gonna bet on the river. Since he's a maniac I might push over top in that situation because I know he could just be overplaying an underpair or just trying to continue his preflop aggression just trying to make a statement.

For the most part on the turn if he bets the pot I wouldve thought well he was gonna bet that regardless, and since his preflop raise was minimal his hand can't really be but so good (when I've never played with someone I typically associate how a hand would be played by an average person until I can assume otherwise based on how they play). For some reason I really don't think I wouldve been worried about the middle players actions, unless he goes all in over top on the turn with out no flush showing. For the most part I wouldve said this dude is a maniac, if he had an over pair he wouldve raised more preflop and I say my chances of going all in on the turn with no flush card is I say about 70% yes, 30% no

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
young hova said:
If you can't determine what that person has and there are draws out there and you don't think you can call a big bet if one of the draws hits you miswell bet so he's not getting odds to call his draw if you think your hand was good (even though most maniacs don't understand this concept]

I agree with that.

Your hand is a perfect example of when to apply this, because besides the draw out there you really need to know if your hand is best and reraising is the only way to find out. Plus a smooth call to an aggressive player smells weakness, and your hand wasn't exactly that strong so you put yourself in position to escape it cheaply w/o calling him all the way down which is more expensive. Well played sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The player that called his all in hand, I knew that I had his hand beat on the flop, because if he was stronger he wouldve raised the minimum raise preflop and if he had him on the flop for sure I figured he would've raised either to protect his hands from draws or simply because he would believe his hand is better.

Be very, very, very careful with this, as vilain could have the lower pockets, or even pocket queens for a set. Some people think that to reraise, you have to at least have QQ, KK or AA and will just call a small raise with almost any two cards.

Also, a lot of peopl are passive on the flop and will just call, even with the better hand, so be careful about generalization. If everybody played like Slansky, sure it would've been a raise or fold situation , but peope like to gamble or disguise their hand.

On another note, his call all-in was an indicator that he was either drawing to the flush (or that he had hit trips), wich put you in a spot where you're not in position to call, not because of the guy with pocket aces, but because you were practically drawing dead with the hand that you have beat on the flop still has a lot of live cards to help it. Plus, the all-in was either extreme weakness or strength, and with already one caller, we better have something to show for it if we call.

Good raise and good laydown, but this is a 100% chance of me folding, even if my opponents are complete donks since my hand is very marginal with two people in the pot all-in. The best situation to test your skills would have been if you were in middle position with flush guy still to come. How would you have played this hand if guy #1 goes all-in ? Do you call ?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Young hova, I went ahead and edited your first post just to break it up into paragraphs. I hope you don't mind. It's obvious you spent a lot of time on it, and I wanted to make sure everyone who views this thread will take the time to read it. :)

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks joe and thanks juice, I do appreciate that

jeff, I knew the middle position player wouldnt reraise without a good handlike that, but at the same time, he wasnt even calling the blind, he was playing fairly tight so I knew he had to either have an ace or couldve maybe had a pocket pair under 9 to call double the bb (even though its only 60). the texture of the flop I knew he couldnt have flopped 2 pair because he was that tight that he wouldnt make that loose of a call, but he couldve hit a lower set, judging by the few hands I seen him play I couldnt put him on a set of queens (of course thats why its best to stay away from confrontations like this early in a tourney)

I just had a hunch he wouldnt call with a set with a bet and a check raise, your right it ain't good to make these generalizations, but in the specific position I was put in I was forced to put to use what little I knew about him and how I though a player would play based on how he had been playing.

as far as the all-in, that definitely made my hand look marginal lol, but I am still a favorite over an a8 flush draw, but of course I couldn't call regardless.

If I was middle position I still wouldve raised because as tight as the flush player was I know he's folding for sure to a reraise if he doesnt like his hand then and there. In this case he's calling and if the original raiser reraises I have to fold, not only because its too much action, but I have no clue what the flush person is thinking and my hand isn't that good. If I had 2 pair, flush draw or not, based on my reads there, No way i'm not calling the all in.

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a passive- aggressive game.Tournys in the beginning I play passive till the blinds go up unless I hit a monster or I notice a player makes a mistake. Ring games the same in the beginning I look for tells, betting habits,look to see what they play [cards] then I play aggressive. So being passive is not a bad thing at anytime as long as you know when and why. Yes to win you have to be aggressive this is what took me the longest to learn. The best feelin in poker is when you can get the table to fold just because you raise.[ with 7 2] so keep playing these guys can get a little deep sometimes but I learned alot on this site :cool: