BB vs SB - readless

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand was played at microstakes with 100 BB effective stacks. It was the very first hand against this opponent and therefore absolutely readless.

-Villain (SB) opens to 3BB;
-Hero (BB) 3b to 9BB;
-Villain 4b to 27,5BB;
-Hero?

For me it was very hard to make a decision here, because I had no reads on the opponent in the first hand. Additionally, my hand was neither super premium nor total trash (maybe I will post it later, but first I would like to discuss in general).

I know that 3b ranges vary greatly at this point, but I would still like to ask the following questions:
- Which hands do you raise/shove in a situation like this, which hands do you call, and which hands do you give up?
- And what effect would the 4b size have in the decision or can you make a small read out of it (0.5BB less than a 3 fold raise to my 3bet)?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Redman1902

Last edited:
R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Edit because of typing error: Villains 4bet size was 26,5BB. Shouldn't change decision-process much.

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand was played at microstakes with 100 BB effective stacks. It was the very first hand against this opponent and therefore absolutely readless.

-Hero (BB) 3b to 9BB;
-Villain 4b to 27,5BB;
-Hero?

For me it was very hard to make a decision here, because I had no reads on the opponent in the first hand. Additionally, my hand was neither super premium nor total trash (maybe I will post it later, but first I would like to discuss in general).

I know that 3b ranges vary greatly at this point, but I would still like to ask the following questions:
- Which hands do you raise/shove in a situation like this, which hands do you call, and which hands do you give up?
- And what effect would the 4b size have in the decision or can you make a small read out of it (0.5BB less than a 3 fold raise to my 3bet)?

Redman1902

I would like to discuss some things beforehand.
First of all, blind vs blind situation has a wide ranges, so it's really hard to determine villain's by his raise. Maybe he has a hand or maybe he only wanted to steal your blind.

Now, you said that your hand was neither super premium nor total trash, so at least for me, it would have made more sense to just call in this spot and see the flop. Remember, you have position against villain in this hand so it will be easier for you to maneuver post flop.
So I don't like the 3-bet that you made, as you don't have information about the opponent whatsoever, I would much rather call and play in position post flop.

So given that we are here in this awkward spot already... and given that villain 4-bet to 27BB, if you were to call here, pot would be 54BB, and you would have 73BB on your stack, SPR would be 1,35 which is a commitment situation, I would jam with QQ+, AK, given that microstakes people won't 4bet bluff often.
If villain is not bluffing, I would put him on the exact range, QQ+ and AK. Any extra hand he has in his 4 bet range would improve your equity.
About sizing, I'd say there's not much tells given +/- 0.5 BB, the important thing you need to consider is the SPR going into the flop, if the SPR is small, it's better to jam preflop as you'd be commited anyways.

So I'd say it's not that complicated of a situation, you decided to 3-bet bluff and opponent showed even more strenght, so I would just fold here. If you call the 27BB you'd be in a even more awkward position post flop.

I hope it made sense to you, if you have the hand history posted here it would be even better to analyze.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a rule of thumb - at micros, players almost never 4bet bluff - meaning he was likely holding a premium hand - I would hazard a guess at 1010+

Now a small portion of the time you can call with suited combos 78s 98s 109s J10s etc however you are gonna be the underdog in the hand unless you hit a good equity flop - essesntially the question you need to ask is - Do I want to play this hand for stacks? Also being readless, you cannot assume you can push the villain off a better hand so you are playing board texture once the 4bet comes in.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your replies and thoughts.

So given that we are here in this awkward spot already... and given that villain 4-bet to 27BB, if you were to call here, pot would be 54BB, and you would have 73BB on your stack, SPR would be 1,35 which is a commitment situation, I would jam with QQ+, AK, given that microstakes people won't 4bet bluff often.

I agree with you on most of this point. The only thing that doesn't seem quite plausible to me is that we always give up our positional advantage when we decide to jam/fold in this situation. So I was thinking that even with small SPR against a strong range we should at least have a calling range with middle pairs or suited connectors when facing a 4b.

I had TT in this hand and decided to fold since it was the first hand and I went for the low variance option. Maybe I shouldn't have 3b'd them, but that's a matter of taste in my opinion. Same reasoning would apply to JJ then.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's hard to answer without know your hand, but if is a playable hand and not a super premium your 3-bet was bad at my vision and I would fold

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

-Hero (BB) 3b to 9BB;
-Villain 4b to 27,5BB;
-Hero?

Redman1902

Thank you for posting.

When we play online a player pool tendency diary is a good idea as we who are learning will sometimes over complicate situations vs straight forward players. We review the diary to remind ourselves how to play vs the typical Villain type at each buy-in level.

With that said is this micro stakes player balanced? LOL

Without info on the player we have to assume they are playing cards face up.

So what range 4 bets OOP at the micro stakes AA KK QQ JJ AK AQs

How does your hand interact with that range at 1.5 SPR if we call?
Would we ever 5 bet middle strength hands vs that range? Would a micros stakes player fold any of that range to a 5 bet?
Can we expect to showdown hands?
Can we expect to equity realize our draws easily?
Can we profitably set mine? Standard estimate is 10x for set mining some say more like 20x because of reverse implied odds.
At 1.5x SPR can we not expect V to shove that range on most flopped boards?
If not shove flop then c-bet flop and shove turn.
So if we call are we not stack committing ourselves on far too many runouts?

There is a phrase "Easy Meat" it applies in micro stakes we do not have to battle in tough spots as there is soo much Easy Meat to be had.

Hope this helps
:):)

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Eetenor's post is well crafted. Just because of the nature of the game you're involved in you can already make a few assumptions. After that you need to let your chips talk for you. If you can keep engaging with a win here and there you can develop some stats that should fall in line with the stakes.