Basic maths: 3bet vs villains' F3B %

L

liono

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bear in mind that your opponent will be looking at your stats too (if not then they are probably a fish).

Therefore I don't think that this can be looked at in a 'basic math' way.

If your 3-bet and 4-bet stats go through the roof then you leave yourself vulnerable to lighter 4-bets and 5-bets as well as getting taken to value town by better hands.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's good to get a bit aggro, just keep an eye on your table image (stats) and don't let them get out of hand.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Largely agree, although there are some mass multitablers I play against who don't seem to have the time to make adjustments. Against these (fairly exploitable) players, the maths works out reasonably well. Obv you don't take the piss, but I find you can steal their CO opens every now and then just fine :)

To reiterate, I'm fairly new to poker, so I was just trying to put some numbers to the moves is all.

For example, in this thread where we were working out the FE required to BE on our shove; again it's just maths with assumptions thrown in. Not perfect by any means. But it wasn't until I saw how the numbers came out that I realised just how little FE is sometimes required to make the semi bluff shove (for example) a rather profitable play.

Anyways, don't mind me, I'm just a beginner trying to work out what most of you already seem to know.

T

ThBonus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
3x to 9x 3 bets need to work about 70%. Yes you should use a polarized range vs people who fold alot to 3 bets!

J

jchris67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys this is great info. I love poker but struggle a little with the math side of things; especially in regards to 3 bets and implied odds with weak pocket pairs.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3x to 9x 3 bets need to work about 70%. Yes you should use a polarized range vs people who fold alot to 3 bets!

Polarized range or not doesn't depend on how often they fold, it depends on what they do when they don't fold. IF they call, it's better to 3b a merged range, if they either 4b or fold its better to 3b a polarized range.

J

jchris67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This may be a dumb question, but exactly what do you mean by polarized range in regards to pre-flop?