An argument for folding AQo pre without 3 bet?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to see a flop from the BB with AQo, But I would only flat.

You guys seem to think a NIT is some sort of poker machine, and would only be betting that way with AA,KK,QQ, and maybe JJ. Facts would probably suggest if the 'NIT' is playing around the VP =10ish range (full ring), or 16 (6max) and he perceives that you perceive him to be a nit, that he could often figure he can get away with an UTG big bet with anything above 66, eve SC's 89 +.

See the flop, make a new decision.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to see a flop from the BB with AQo, But I would only flat.

You guys seem to think a NIT is some sort of poker machine, and would only be betting that way with AA,KK,QQ, and maybe JJ. Facts would probably suggest if the 'NIT' is playing around the VP =10ish range (full ring), or 16 (6max) and he perceives that you perceive him to be a nit, that he could often figure he can get away with an UTG big bet with anything above 66, eve SC's 89 +.

See the flop, make a new decision.

Exactly

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nits are going to be nitty, assuming a nit is going to be trying to level is by playing far too tight is just not going to workout well. If someone opens 10% utg there preflop stats will look like 25/23, probably more. An actual nit opens 99+ AQs+ AK

C

Cymro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I define a nit as someone who rarely bluffs, folds too often, and rarely plays anything other than picture cards. Which I agree with the call and see the flop option. hands like QQ often don't look so good when you've seen the flop.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nits are going to be nitty, assuming a nit is going to be trying to level is by playing far too tight is just not going to workout well. If someone opens 10% utg there preflop stats will look like 25/23, probably more. An actual nit opens 99+ AQs+ AK

Yes.

What this problem does is force us to ask how accurately can we determine the NIT's opening range UTG? There definitely are some super nits who will not open with less than AA/KK in that spot, so reverse implied odds matter. The key is in knowing who they are. You CAN figure out who is doing this, online and live.

If they're balanced in range, fine - all options are open, call or 3b etc, semi-bluff, play for a small pot with TP or play a larger pot with 2pair or better.

Re OP, I'd say a fold is fine with a solid read. Move on and stack your opponent two hands later with JJ, 44 or 8s9s - simple ;)

Folding in Poker