Anyone else a big fan of 1/2 pot bets?

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems to me to be the perfect amount to bet. I often see players bluffing with a pot sized bet then folding to a reraise. Or betting pot with tptk on a drawless board. In either case, IMO, one half pot bet is the best. The only exception is if you are very deep stacked, with a good hand and there are draws on board, then a 1/2 pot bet won't give your opponent the correct expressed odds but will give him the right implied odds.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If in a tourney;
Early it's usually too small, and late it can be too big.
But overall it feels just right.

I

imsosorry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, but not all the time, sometimes a bigger bet is better

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1/2 the pot is a good strategic move in many situations. I like that it's easily available at FT and UB, makes it even more attractive.

BTW, I believe that's why you see so much min. raising online. It's right there, quick and easy......

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the 2/3 to 3/4 pot bet but of course it depends what you're trying to accomplish. Just so you know a 1/2 pot bet gives the opponent 3 to 1 to draw and on the flop with a flush draw that certainly seems like it gives implied odds to draw.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh sorry didn't realize you said exactly that in your OP lol.

T

The Ruatorian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A certain bet is correct in certain situations. A like the mention about giving pot odds to the flush

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ring games or tournaments?

I tend to be half-pot in tournaments. I used to do it in ring games, but when I switched to 2/3 pot bets my win rate went up substantially.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tourneys I like the half pot bet on pretty static flops, if there's any reasonable kinds of draws I tend to bump it up to 2/3 at least, or if it's draw heavy a full pot bet. I also like it after a 2/3 flop bet, the 1/2 pot on the turn seems to work pretty well especially against people who like to float the flop. At least you tend to find out where they stand without paying too much.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I generally keep my c-bet the same, I stick with 70%. 1/2 pot just doesn't have enough fold equity, or get money in the pot fast when I have a big hand. While there's certainly time for 1/2 pot bets, its certainly not my standard.

icecold24k

icecold24k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually stick to the 1/2 pot bet myself. That is an area of my game i am currently struggling at also. I really am usually not sure how much to be into a pot so 1/2 pot seems right for me.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you are tryign to accomplish and vs who you are betting. 1/2 pot has very little fold equity so if you are just trying a c-bet and have no intention of firing a 2nd shot on the turn then a 1/2 pot bet probably isn't ideal (unless you know for sure they'll fold to 1/2 pot if they miss).

Also give odds to draw to a flush/OESD, but tbh even if you bet 2/3 pot somebody is still going to call (or raise) with a flushdraw on the flop.

Depends on gametype as well...ie. early in tourn 1/2 pot isn't enough to get anybody off a hand, but late in a tourn <1/2 pot can be more than enough to get somebody off a hand, in HU it is opponent specific, and cash you normally need more than 1/2 a pot because stacks are deep so implied odds are higher/very hard to get pot committed unlike in a tourn.

MR TOYMAKER

MR TOYMAKER

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Half pot and 2/3 pot bets are normal for me but in some case I try to mix up depending on the table. It all depends on how deep my stack is and how the table is playing. I lower bets when I get no action when I want some.

A

acciuno

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After reading this I have incorporated a handful of times and have found some success. But then again it's only been a little over a week.

S

sliver101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually between a half and three quarters tho this can be alcohol influenced lol

Archinutz

Archinutz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To accomplish what...?

I know the question has been asked and there are many situations and type of players at the table. Personally and the majority of the time I use the 1/2 pot bet to either induce a bluff when i'm fairly sure i'm ahead against an aggressive player(s) and/or tight player. Also when i'm in a semi bluff situation. If i'm in early position, IMO 1/2 pot bet works best. Of course 90% of my poker time is in tournies so i'm unclear how effective it would be in cash games. later sages in tournies, 3/4 to pot raises are usually sufficient to achieve my objective at that particular time. I'm just curious if its similar to low ball betting?