The old AK conundrum

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but this does bring out another good question, if your supposed to make a continuation bet after a big raise, does the situation change when theirs multiple players?

GabriLoco

GabriLoco

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Once you decide you are calling you know you probably need to catch a card or 2 to win the hand, if you catch, you are likely knocking them bot out.

2. vnh!

VerbalKint

VerbalKint

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Min raise or call someone`s raise with AK in that position. If you hit the flop you likely have the best hand at that time and can re-raise after the flop. If you miss the flop and face a serious bet, its easy to toss it. In late position its always a raising hand. Never limp in with it or it will surely get shot down.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for one playing tight and see a few flop cheap are two different things. when you put in 10% of your stack you got to start planning what you will do for the rest of the hand. because and good size raise or flop bet will be 1/3 of your chips. effectively commiting you to the pot. to put in a semi bluff on the flop here to show you mean business means you are pretty much commited. with AK in this spot preflop i either raise it to 4-5BB's hoping to get HU if possible or to pick up the blinds. or i may make it 2.5x the blinds to keep my investment as small as possible so i can get away from a flop easy if i miss. also if i get played back at preflop i can shove. post flop after putting 150 w/that flop i may just let it go. there are too many hands that it hits and theres are draws as well. to cbet here you are begging for a call. if i put any money in here its all or nothing. and most likely i'll do it in the form of a check/raise all in. but after putting in more than 1/3 of my stack i'm going all the way with the hand if i think i still my have outs.

C

cloudyeyes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You push all in on this situation. You've already committed most of your stack to the pot. Plus, 2 others have called your bet pre-flop, which is even more money to be earned in the pot. Your outs in this hand are an A, K, or J. That's 10 outs or roughly a 40% chance of hitting one of your outs. Pot odds say call. Common sense says call, if you don't want to be stuck the rest of the tourny coming back from a tiny stack.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have put yourself in a bad spot here.

The only option I see for you is to shove as you are overcommitted in this pot.

The raise you mentioned is impossible though, 625 to 900?

The min raise would be to 1250.

Get all your chips in and pray you hit the J, A or K and never play AK like that again!!!

J

jumping jack flash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
complete overcomitment with a c bet of 625 !and c betting into 3 players aint good either ,i wouldnt have bet on the flop, checked to see the turn and river cheaply,bet for value or if you miss let it go . oh yeah and dont ever min raise its a bad play regardless of what you read on this thread

Last edited:
W

wona2009wsopseat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lot of people to see the flop huh? as played, you are committed and most likely drawing to a jack, or either your ace or king. but why c-bet a missed flop with 3 others in?

T

The Muppetteer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I treat AK as I would most other unmade hands preflop. Depending on my position I may just limp so that if I miss the flop I can get away from it. The later the position the more likely I am to raise with it depending on how many players have limped before me because once a couple or player call the raise you are starting to give pots odds to others and thats not a great situation for an unmade hand.