Ah Kh from small blind

playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did a good thing! it was good fold. You are discussing it because it hits J on the turn, and many of the folds you did may be not like this. Because , if you fold dont think about the other cards and river!! and dont think damn! i must played upto river!!
And these type of situations you must use pot odds and able to make the decision. I hope you more about the pot odds, so im not explain!

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have considered a smallish donk cbet here, but whether or not the players understand that is betting style is likely to be a big hand depends on the level of play.

Hrm. Smallish donk cbet smells of suspicion. Some players raise when they see suspicion to get more information. (Maybe just us losing players though.)

I think the smallish cbet from out of position achieves a few things. First of all you should seem more strong than you really are here meaning that you will win the pot a decent percentage of time. Second you can suckout and third you can take command and keep the pot small since the other players will rarely raise without a monster (and then you have a easy fold).

Raising without a monster? One thing you discount is you can perform any action with any two cards. Think about it. Not every player is net plus (as a matter of fact, I'd like to be the only one at the table), so not every player is always making the right decision, or plays hands by your standards. Not that I disagree with betting the street, but just to clear things up, it's a blocking bet. Bluffing that many players isn't likely.

Also if you think about the turn, you will improve to more outs when a heart hits meaning that you can continue barreling making it especially difficult for a opponent that just called your bet on the flop.

I find myself doing this a lot. I'll call because if the 6h comes I get open-ended for str8 flush. Of course it depends on table dynamics. 6 calling stations and me, I'll call if my stack can support it because my implied odds are tremendous.

In this particular hand, if the blocking bet WORKS, and you pick up a heart, you're in good shape to continue the hand. I'm not a huge fan of the blocking bet though.
It's a small bet that smells of weakness and says "Please don't raise me." Maybe I should add a block/raise to my list of tactics.

It's like a check/raise, except it punishes people for raising, instead of betting. Hrm.

sickflopz_yo

sickflopz_yo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well according to simple odds you clearly had no chance of calling there even though if you did say you had draws. Falling in love with AK was what you were about to do but safely enough you laid it down. However if you didnt check the best decision would had been to move allin since if you did bet you would be committing a massive portion of your stack and you still wouldnt have pushed your opponents off their hand and committed then to lay it down. So overall your decision was pretty smart one.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think your preflop raise was a little smallish, especially as your out of position, with 5 calls thats around 300 odd in the pot, your raise needs to be about 5-600 here to be effective.

Maybe you're right, but he did make a good size raise of 6X the BB. That's not really "smallish" but your point may be valid. :joyman:

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you're right, but he did make a good size raise of 6X the BB. That's not really "smallish" but your point may be valid. :joyman:

thats the problem early on in tourneys isnt it? the BB doesnt compare to the stack size, the M of a stack of 1500 in a tourney with 25/50 blinds is 20, meaning players can have basically free rein with their stacks because this is where they're in the least danger of becoming pot commited unless they're calling huge overbets... idk, makes it hard to find a good raising opportunity unless you raise big with just about anything thats playable and raise it all the same... eh w.e im starting to debate with myself here lol.

M

marioleal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually raise an extra BB per limper...So, you should have been in the 8-9BB raise here. But, I don't think it is as important as what your plan was for the hand. I am a big advocate of planning your hand. If you plan to raise preflop, then pot bet any ace or king, or even float, you must consider SPR. The higher raise ensures a low SPR and eases your comittment decision. Don't forget to ask yourself, what will I do if someone shoves my big bet?

IMHO, always PLAN YOUR HAND.

In the end, your post-flop play was best. You'll get plenty of better situations to catch broadway.

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said, the initial raise should have been bigger
with AK in small blind i raised 5 times in this case ...
i think that you was passive in this hand .

BeaverTrump

BeaverTrump

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically on flop I called on chances)))) but if on a turn was not J - a pass without variants... Here only on preflop I would risk to play ALL-IN in view of a position))))

adsthepro123

adsthepro123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right Fold

It was the right fold to make, some people get too attached to their ak and go all in with high cards, this is a bad move as 99% of the time they lose against a set, 2 pair, pair, flush etc.
what are the chance of that happening anyway a jack won't hit on that turn very often so if you did call it would be to take it away with a pair u cant even think about hitting a four outer against that kind of bet.
adsthepro

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What about just completing the small blind? Sure you have AK but you're forced to play it out of position the entire hand, which can make it very difficult unless you hit really strong. Instead of inflating the pot and having to bet/call, bet/fold, or check/fold the flop OoP, I'd rather keep the pot small and play from there.

...But thats just me.