Aggressive Pre-Flop Tactics

S

SCKShadow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,
I often find myself on NL low blind tables with 10 players where 1 or 2 players with big stacks feeling the need to go "All in" every deal pre-flop. Usually I pass until I get a high pair or an A with a decent kicker, this tends to work for a while but eventually the cards go agaist the odds and I lose everything. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with these crazy Aggressive Pre-Flop Tactics?

Thanks.

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This should probably be posted in the "Poker STrategies" section, but that's ok welcome to CC, I'm sure you'll find your way around soon enough.

#1. If you're not comfortable playing ....DON'T.

Maniacs sure can be a vexation to the spirit, they are often loud, boisterous and looking to get lucky. More often than not they are gamblers rather than card players but beware at least 1 out of 10 are excellent poker players just setting up the table for later action when they tighten up.

The one that's a good poker player will only bust out with maniac play for short bursts from time to time, once every hour or so just to adjust the action their liking. You can ride these out once you have a read on that kind of maniac play and treat that player with respect or contempt depending on your normal A-game reads, cards, position etc.

The 9 out of 10 you want to keep happy and at your table, especially if they have deep pockets and keep buying back in after busting out. And don't worry if they get lucky a few times and build thier stack hugely disproportionate to yours that just makes it easier for you to double up through them.

Play TAG, use position the maniac will help you get great reads on the other players, if your strong in position you can be confident in a re-raise and put pressure back on the maniac. If you hit the flop don't slowplay, be AGGRESSIVE if he sucks out on you oh well buy back in, you'll get another shot at him if you have the patience, the law of averages will work in your favor.

If you have a choice of seats or can move to a maniacs immediate left do it, that's the most advantageous place to gather information. Information like how strong other players are or weak, if the table all folds to the maniac and your in position to his left, you know he's betting wildly with any 2 cards you can challenge him with K/Q, A/J, A/10, even weak Aces down to duce kickers if your willing to gamble with him and bust him.

You have to have some heart and a proper bankroll to challenge the maniacs. If your bankroll is weak, just be patient and challenge with only premium hands in position. If your bankroll is strong and can withstand the radical swings, if you know the maniac isn't leaving you can normally double through him maybe a couple of times, because you have the statistical edge.

Let me stress again that proper bankroll is most important, even maniacs get on lucky rushes and can devistate your winnings against all odds and statistics. If you can't afford the hit, then your gambling too, if you can afford it, patience, intelligence and the statistical odds will favor you sooner or later assuming the maniac is still playing crazy and still at your table when the opportunity arises.

If maniacs make you uncomfortable and you don't have the bankroll, either play like a ROCK, or quit, find another table that fits your style.

Good Luck!