After 8 years of thinking " I am good player" It turned out "I am Bad"

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just being able to make this post is 1 of the things that most people will never do, not just in poker but in any "task" or job. Poker players have to be honest with themselves it is the only way to be able to evaluate your performance.

One thing I noticed in the chat was people advising you to read books that are considered by the top players to be outdated. I am a "reader" , and I am an older guy so I have read most books, I think it is ok if you have plenty of free time, but what all the best player's say helped them the most is finding people who you can discuss your hand history with who hopefully, are better than you are now. You can do that here on Cardschat, there are also other free sites where you can submit hands and people will tell you what they think.

Many people will not do this because it is not easy to take someone telling you that you played a hand badly. Some sites, people can be mean. If you can sort through and find the people who are giving you an honest evaluation then you can begin to develop a winning strategy.

One last thing, remember what level you are playing, (this is one of my own), Playing low stakes, is basic poker, bet your good hands, fold, fold, and fold again!! Good luck, and poker can become fun again!!

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost to much money by thinking I am good player within that 8 years of playing... but now I know that I am not good! and first of all I will improve my game instead of "making" money..

Please drope some comments to me ...

Study your ass off, get a hud if you don’t already have one so you can analyze your plays and see your defects. Also it can help to create better lines in the future

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I almost forgot, if you are playing online you need a HUD and database so that you can go over your play and develop better strategy

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others are saying you merely posting this is a great start on the road to becoming a better player. Self-awareness, humbleness, and being willing and able to always reassess and improve one's game is something many players lack.

I'm currently reading the Mental Game of Poker by Tendler, so far a great read and probably well worth a look.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
80% of drivers consider themselves in the top 50% of drivers.

This is a well-known effect--"Unskilled and Unaware of it"

Because you don't know what you don't know--at first--we all dramatically over-rate our own play and abilities.

Great you finally figured it out!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
80% of drivers consider themselves in the top 50% of drivers.

This is a well-known effect--"Unskilled and Unaware of it"

Because you don't know what you don't know--at first--we all dramatically over-rate our own play and abilities.

Great you finally figured it out!
Proud to say that I'm not in that group. I'm in the 1% of drivers who know they are in the top 1% of drivers mostly because they ARE the top 1% of drivers. Just saying.

Zoom zoom ....

0103bc775cef511bd92d427b8a146551.png

Too bad that does nothing for me when playing poker.

M

Makoto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to tell

Bad is just an opinion... Unless you've never won lol

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We can agree that it took too many years to think on it, but that's your first real victory on poker: humility to recognize your level, and want to improve.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Exactly! And well said.

As I'll often say "They are so bad, they don't even know how bad they are!" (< this pertains to so many poker players, some of whom have been playing for Decades!... & for MANY of the members on this forum who play in the CC freerolls).

When I first started out playing online, I actually considered myself as being good at playing poker. I really had NO CLUE (but didn't even know it).
I'm certain that the good players rely on this as the bad ones keep giving them their money.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Proud to say that I'm not in that group. I'm in the 1% of drivers who know they are in the top 1% of drivers mostly because they ARE the top 1% of drivers. Just saying.

Zoom zoom ....

Too bad that does nothing for me when playing poker.

That all depends on what you're driving, some people drive fingers up their own arse with excellence.

I know I'm crap at poker and that I get lucky sometimes.

:icon_thum

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest fishes i'v played live at the $2/5 when I didnt care about BRM like an idiot I knew of had been "playing poker for decades.". NLH is a game learned in 5 minutes and mastered in 5 decades to loosely quote Mike Sexton.