A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
#1 Listen to these guys, esp.the ones with hundreds to thousands of post....Trust me, they know what they're doing. Undoubtedly great advice!

#2 Take a break for a week or two then come back to lower limit tables and get a feel for the game again.

#3 Kick the Cat...seems to work for Snowman:D

T

tcarson

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the one guy who said take a day off and dont think about it at all. When I do that I come back and win... Same with puzzles or video games... Dam that mario!!!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^ is that mario galaxy??? What a great game that is, took me a few weeks but i completed that and got all 120 stars :smile:

M

MANAMAL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How I improved my game

The first thing i did to improve my game was to start watching my stats, it showed me that I was playing way too many hands (I try to keep mine under 20%), then I started playing more legitimate hands instead of 'feelings'. But the best thing I have done to help was to become more patient and wait for the better hands to come to me instead of chasing. As far as the downturns, go to the cheapest table you can and practice your game, once you start catching cards again then move back up higher stakes. I drop down to the penny games when things are going south, alot of people make the mistake of trying to win it back fast in a high $$ tourney or stakes that are well out of their bankroll league and end up making another deposit!

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi
please can you answer 2 questions for me as i think it might help my game

1, what was the one thing you did to improve your game the most.

2, how do you get over downswings that seem to last for days or weeks
at a time, when nothing seems to go right.

all your answers are welcome,
thanks very much in advance.

1. Honestly, as much as people have said it here, joining CC has been the most +ev thing I've ever done. Post hands in HH, look at other peoples' posts, and just read. There are a lot of great players here and they are very helpful.

2. I go up to $1/$2 HU and chase my losses, when I lose that I play HU sngs for $300. Oh wait, that's what I did last time. Whenever I'm tempted to chase my losses I remember this, because that killed me (-500 in the span of about 2 hours).

But seriously I step back, take a look at my win rate, and see how long it should take to make it back. It's not as bad to get sucked out on for $25 when you see that after a few hours you'll have made that back and then some. Just had a -100 day, came back, played about 2k hands today, and now am almost back up. And if you feel yourself begin to tilt at all, QUIT IMMEDIATELY.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
getiing over tilt seems to be more of an expierence thing, the more times you expierence bad-beats and varience the less they effect you emotionally.

momoney2

momoney2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
  1. Read poker books.
  2. Avoid trap hands like KJo, KTo, A-rag, etc... especially behind raises or in front of known aggressive players. Sometimes limiting your losses during a bad run of cards by avoiding second best hands can give you new faith in your skill and knowledge of the game. Concentrate on the game, and quit when you are tired. And don't chase weak draws.

V

VirtualFish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll answer number two which i'm a massive fan of: Bankroll Management. Someone else said it earlier and I can't begin to tell you the importance of it. I play 6 handed SnG almost exlusively so this is where my point of view is coming from.

BR management helps you get through those times when you have multiple bad beats, bad judgement, and find yourself chasing your losses due to emotions running high.

Looking at my stats I've had three bad downturns over the last year. In each I probably lost around 10-15% of my BR until I was able to turn it around. The only reason I survived was that I didn't keep playing games that were outside my BR. Otherwise those losses would have been 30-35% making the pit that much harder to get out of. (A year ago I started on the $2.50 SnG to learn the game properly...eventually $5.00 and now I play $10.)

Lastly, when you play outside your BR you don't play properly either. There shouldn't be so much pressure on you per game that its winning or losing affects your judgement. Going outside your BR will do that.

Ken

P.S. It was Cards Chat which taught me that this time last year.

S

Stan7777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slightly Different Perspective.

1) Her I'd combine two concepts into 1. Develop relationships with better players that have a simillar style to yours and take advantage of thier knowledge. I'm mentoring a couple of folks right now. Second part is to go watch them play. You won't know thier hole cards unless it is a pro on TV. But you can pick up an awful lot watching better players play. This is also a marvalous way to fix parts of your game that have gone wrong. ex I'm an extremely tight player after 30 years playing ring game No-Limit Holdem. When I play Omaha sometimes I get into a spot were I play way too tight. You have to play more than the top 10 premium hands in an Omaha tourney or you'll get blinded off for sure. Plus in Omaha it all changes so much more dramatically postflop IMHO. Well I watched the latest wsop pot limit OMAHA event and also a good friend win his second Omaha tourney in a week and Imediately recognized I was playing as tight as a nit. Loosened up and my games back were it should be. Alot of folks mentioned books and strategy blogs. Both are great. :)

2) To me this is an easy one. Bankroll management. Combined with my suggestions above and you'll get out of funks sooner sometimes. But when it's strickly the cards and your 80-20's aren't holding up it's bankroll management that keeps you going. Under 10 buy in's drop down to a level where 10 maximum buy ins are in your bankroll. Under 10 buy ins drop down again. There is no shame in this. Most folks move up and down. Start with micros and build. The disiplined ones drop back down when they hit a rough patch. I also try never to buy into a tourney for more than 1/20th of my bankroll. Others may have slightly different criteria of course. Remember in ring games it's 10 maximum buy ins, not minimum buy ins that you measure your bankroll against.;)

A

Arielstorm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just try to stay away for a few days, and do my best not to go on tilt. Sometimes that is easier said than done. I try not to play more than 1 table at a time when this is happening though. Goodluck

iMaGiN.

iMaGiN.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1.) Read poker books and look at videos of players from poker tube.

2.) Either just take a time off or if you still want to play poker, start playing for Play Chips and take your aggression out there.

Ark Traveler

Ark Traveler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE

1. A video I have on Position and odds by JC Caldwell I find to be a very good reminder of what I should be doing and what I need to refresh my memory on.. beyond that seeking out those who have played a long time , reading up on strategy, and returning to basics that always are tried and true..

2. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE, cards will be cards and the card God sometimes is angry.. when frustration sets in and you are trying to push yourself to hard.. you will make mistakes that you don't realize until hindsight look back.. you can't be constantly on a win streak.. the overall odds are not in favor of this type of action.. it is part of poker to have down swings, how long they last is up to your mental state.. but you can not force it to change..