Adding suited connectors to my range.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am.

You seem to think that they know they're ahead of us. They don't. So we cbet most flops (they fold here most of the time) and continue betting on good turn cards (both scare cards and cards that give us equity).

Hmmm.... Ok, you've given me something to think about at least. Once I get back to playing cash perhaps I'll give this a try, but I foresee dire consequences for my BR.

And, FWIW, It's not that I think that they know that they are ahead of us. It's that I think they don't think that deeply/ don't care. In my experience (which is admittedly dated since I haven't played cash since pre-BF) if a couple of villains limp from EP/MP and they have, say, 2 Broadways, suited anything, A-anything, small/mid-PP, well that's a ticket through to the turn, at least, even facing normal-sized pre and post-flop bets or a PSB both pre and post-flop.

It's just by accident that they are ahead of us, not by any brilliant plan/read on their part. Never-the-less, they are ahead and are inclined to call rather than fold.... So.... I don't know. My initial thought is to play the hand cheaply, for value, until your draw gets there in some fashion. But, as I've said I'm willing to consider/try your approach although I'm skeptical of success.

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do bluff less in micros because they give your bet less respect simply due to the small stakes. But there is a difference between bluffing less and being passive.
After they call a c-bet on the flop (if they fold a high % of the time) I'm probably giving up at these stakes unless I get a card that adds to my equity or a scare card.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You do bluff less in micros because they give your bet less respect simply due to the small stakes. But there is a difference between bluffing less and being passive.

Hmmm.... Seems a difference of degree, then. Don't want to bluff, but don't want to be passive. Seems like a fine line. Perhaps thats why I generally just don't play SC. I consider the first bet, pre-flop, to be a bluff since you are almost certainly behind (I'm talking about mid-range SC here). Then, the C-Bet, if you haven't at least partially connected is, in essence, another bluff. And, frequently, you're playing against stations who will frequently call at least through the turn....

I don't know, just seems like not a good plan to me. I've been thinking lately if my bet-sizing isn't off or something since I'm rarely folding out multiple villains with a single C-Bet. I'm also usually not able to isolate well preflop once an EP player limps and starts a limp-fest among several others. Seems like if I raise from LP, almost for sure, either the first or second limper is going to call, and that's going to give each following limper more and more correct odds to call.

After they call a c-bet on the flop (if they fold a high % of the time) I'm probably giving up at these stakes unless I get a card that adds to my equity or a scare card.

Ok, I get betting if the turn gives you a good card and a corresponding equity boost. It's the "scare card" thing I'm not too sure about. Scare card for whom? I mean assume a couple of EP/MP limp-callers pre-flop, both of whom call your C-Bet, what kind of turn cards cause you to fire again? An Ace? Surely that's a big part of what micro-stakes limpers are playing. Big broadway cards? Same thing. Something that puts flush possibilities out there? Again, many low-level players play any 2-suited cards. Just don't know what types of scare cards would/should cause me to double-barrel with unimproved SC on the turn.

As you can see, I'm kind of lost playing SC aggressively. They generally aren't profitable for me and I rarely play them. When I do, I play them passively as I've stated above. Not saying its right. Other, more knowledgeable, players certainly feel its wrong. But, I just don't see a way to play them very profitably unless you connect with the flop pretty well.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read this. Then you may continue to talk. Otherwise, I'll just quote from that article until you get it.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, tried to read it.... forums down for maintenance. Will try again soon. I rarely go to "that" forum, maybe I should start. Anyway, thanks for the link, hopefully it gets back up soon.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, finally got the time to check out the link and its working fine now. Lots of good stuff there. I'm just getting started in it all, but right off the bat I can see that my bet-sizing IS off as I had speculated above. More to it than that of course, but as I said, I'm just getting started in that thread. Anyway, thanks for the awesome link C9.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love playing suited connectors (78s or higher). I feel like you are very likely to hit a flop nicely with both flush and straight draws