AA in hand what is the best strategy to proceed?

A

AmiableFool

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer your question, we have to ask what you want to accomplish. What do you hope to gain from playing aces?

Most people think they are playing to make money, but when they lose with aces they go on such tilt that they cannot play a reasonable game anymore. They throw away lots of money just because the aces hand didn't go as expected.

Do you want to *always* feel good about the conclusion of the hand? Do you want other players to respect the way you play them? Do you enjoy embarassing other players by tricking them with a strong hand? Or do you want to get maximum value from the hand?

If your goal is to make the most money, your plan with aces is pretty simple:

Preflop:
Bet or raise to the highest amount that will get exactly one player to call. Why?
  • If we get everybody to fold by raising (or shoving) to big, we limit the amount we can win to the chips already in the pot.
  • If we raise too small, we risk going multiway to the flop. The value of aces goes down with every additional player in the pot.
If you get re-raised, raise again. Don't try to copy the TV pros who get trappy with aces preflop. That's not a profitable move in average games where people make lots of mistakes.

If you have no idea what raise size will get one caller, try to choose a raise size that will create a stack-to-pot-ration (SPR) of 3 or less. We'll see why in a moment.

Flop:
First, calculate the SPR. The reason is simple: SPR is an easy rule-of-thumb that tells us what types of hands are profitable to play.
  • At SPRs less than four, we can profitably stack off top pairs, overpairs, and any two pair hand
  • At SPRs less than seven, we can profitably stack off straights, sets, and top two pairs
  • At SPRs >= 7, we need a strong hand like a flush or full houses to get all our chips in

Using this rule of thumb, your decision with aces is easy: Are you in a 3 SPR or smaller pot? Do anything you can to get all the chips in the middle. Are you in a 4-6 SPR pot? CBet most boards, but be cautious if your opponent decides to stick around. Avoid too much aggression on flops which heavily favor the caller, like JhTh7c. Are you in a 7+ SPR pot? Against reasonable players, proceed cautiously. Single pairs lose a lot of value.

To prove whether this advice is valid, use an equity calculator to compare your hand to your opponent's range of hands. Determine how much equity you have and compare that to the pot odds you will face if your opponent applies maximum pressure.

Good luck!

P

peruangonz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
Play aggressively and value that AA, you should win the highest percentage of times.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, I play AA usually All in, because sometimes is difficult fold in next stages, although sometimes this hand lose, but for the strength for this hand I putted all in.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
you never know how variance will hit you. Play it consistently considering position and stacks etc. you never know - just played AA under the gun 'all in' and Q8 offsuit called and flopped 9 10 J. there's my 20% loss variance - move on!

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It could be playied like this, but it may not win... :unsure:

Sometimes it win...

Last edited:
LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Be very aggressive and build the pot while eliminating the tire kickers, Slow play is a recipe for losing.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Still winning, what a punt... :LOL:

Like this is also good... (y)

Last edited:
Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Witam kolegów, chciałbym poznać jeszcze jedną Waszą opinię na ten temat.
Kiedy mamy AA w ręku, jak wyciągnąć z tego maksimum? Czy gramy all-in przed flopem, czy też gramy powoli? Jaki jest najlepszy trik, aby wycisnąć z niego maksimum?
I will start with the fact that I have lost a lot of times with aces in my hands. I was beaten by a straight, a flush, or even two small pairs or a set. A strong hand before the flop must be played aggressively. Unfortunately, you never know what will be on the table.
I do not recommend limping or puncturing BigBlinds twice. I lost a few times because the opponent made a good deal.

What stuck in my mind at most was the giveaway a few days earlier: AA. I waited before the flop and after the flop.
Followed by: 8-2-10 rainbow. I've been waiting. The opponent too. On Turn 5, the opponent conquered. I thought he already had a pair of 88 or 1010. On the riva another 5. The opponent conquered. I thought he only got a few dozen. I ran away allin. The opponent had j5o. He won. He hit a set of 5.
What moral? I lost on demand by passive play. I'm ready for it to happen before the flop and after - mine win. Unfortunately, I lost everything. Aces was good before the flop. Later it can be really different.

that's why I play Preflop conquers X3BigBlind. If after the flop I still have an innovative system - an increase of 100% of the pot. After the turn, he will conquer. After the riv, I can play alin or some valuable bet. Depends on who you're playing against... If the opponent is a maniac and you know that he checks everything - play alin already after the flop. If you know that the opponent is playing conservatively - I would use a puncture function of one or two BigBlinds.

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
So to show You why not to play alin with AA :):)
I am still playing this turnament :) despite loose with AA :)

Attachments

• 2023-12-26_ 12-13_AM_$0.01_$0.02_#2775028176 AA LOST.png
    2023-12-26_ 12-13_AM_$0.01_$0.02_#2775028176 AA LOST.png
    653.8 KB · Views: 1
Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hi I can't convert this (I don't know why?)
But today I got AA again. Så er det andre AA i dag og jeg gjort 100% slack i dag med AA.
I paste it because It is unable to convert.
This time I play which preflop - just call because opponent is playing

Deal from pokerstars 247875723237: Tournament No. 3689496688, No Limit Hold'em Free Tournament - Level I (40/80) - 26/12/2023 14:06:08 CET [26/12/2023 8:06:08 ET]
Table '3689496688 39' 8-max Place No. 1 is the dealer
1st place: Gusthavocomth (1000 in chips)
Place # 2: gjsantana (1000 in chips) does not play
Place No. 3: Grzegorz00PL (1000 in chips)
Place # 4: DNovais19 (1000 in chips) does not play
Place # 5: Y_3_L_L_Q_w (1000 in chips)
Place # 6: Raoul600415 (1000 in chips)
Place # 7: Faster90 (1000 in chips)
Place # 8: VPT1015 (1000 in chips)
Gusthavocomth: pay ante 8
gjsantana: pay ante 8
Grzegorz00pl: ante payment 8
DNovais19: pay ante 8
y_3_l_l_q_w: ante contribution 8
Raoul600415: ante contribution 8
Faster90: pay ante 8
VPT1015: ante contribution 8
gjsantana: pay the little dark 40
Grzegorz00pl: pays big dark 80
*** OWN CARDS***
Player Grzegorz00PL received [Ad Ah]
DNovais19: matches
Y_3_l_l_q_w: beats 912 to 992 and goes all-in
Raoul600415: fits
Faster90 has run out of time
Faster90: fits
Faster90 does not play
VPT1015: fits
Faster90 is back in the game
Player Gusthavocomth has run out of time
Gusthavocomth: fits
Gusthavocomth does not play
gjsantana: fits
Grzegorz00pl: checks 912 and goes all-in
*** FLOP *** [Qc 3c 3s]
Gusthavocomth returned to the game
*** TURN*** [Qc 3c 3s] [6s]
*** RIVER*** [Qc 3c 3s 6s] [Jh]
*** SHOW CARDS***
Grzegorz00pl: shows [Ad Ah] (two pairs, aces and threes)
Y_3_L_L_q_w: shows [Js Jc] (full, Jacks on Threesomes)
Y_3_l_l_q_w won 2088 from the pot
Grzegorz00PL ended the match in the tournament
*** SUMMARY***
Total Pool 2088 | Commission 0
Table [Qc 3c 3s 6s Jh]
1st place: Gusthavocomth (dealer) folded before Flop (did not play)
Place 2: gjsantana (little dark) folded in front of Flop
3rd place: Grzegorz00pl (big dark) showed [Ad Ah] and lost with two pairs, aces and threes
4th place: DNovais19 folded before the Flop (did not play)
5th place: Y_3_L_l_q_w showed [Js Jc] and won (2088) with a full, Jacks for Three
6th place: Raoul600415 folded before the Flop (did not play)
7th place: Faster90 folded before the Flop (did not play)
8th place: VPT1015 folded before the Flop (did not play)

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Please my Friend be smart and don't be sure that AA in hand is 100% win. Today AA in my hand is 100% loose :(
But of course it is only bad beat so I hope the next few hands with AA will win :):) But really - I said true that I have a lot of bad experience with AA :( as I wrote Yesterday.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
If people at your table are very aggressive, I would let them bet. If that's not the case, I would raise the pot myself. However, I would avoid seeing the flop with too many people because if you let in a lot of players with 'projects,' you might have a tough time when the cards are revealed.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
AA is your most profitable hand in the long run. Pocket Aces won't lose very often, but it will happen from time to time.Your pocket aces will often lose in poker, that's a simple fact. And this does not mean that the poker room you are playing at is fraudulent.The best strategy for playing AA is to play them aggressively and quickly. This means raising or re-raising preflop and then betting big on the flop, turn and river.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hi fellows, I want another of your opinion on this.
When we have AA in hand how to make maximum out of it? Do we go all in preflop or do we slow play it? What is the best trick to get maximum out of it?
Baseline for 100bb stacksize is standard open, standard 3bet, standard 4bet and 5bet shove. That's the balanced way.
However often we don't want to be balanced at all to make maximum profit.
Therefore we want to exploit our opponents as much as possible.
That means:
-If the table is full of insane splashy and calling players, just go insane as well and do what the table is used to. May that be a 15bb opening or even shove first in.
- If the table is full of agressive maniacs you may want to let them do the job for you and 2x open or some rare times even limp to set a trap.
However there is no best way, no best trick, it's highly conditional.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
A pair of aces is the highest hand that can be dealt in texas holdem! Since there is no 100% hand from the deal, we play it with a pair before the flop just like any big hand! Allin, it is not worth going preflop with him, because everyone might throw away the card and then it will be of no use. So my suggestion is to raise 2-3 BBs, and then the rest depends on how the other players react,...but the point is that start the attack with him with a few BB raises!

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order for you to make profit with AA
Your opponent should also be getting playable hand
It's an obvious fact because profits depends on action , the more action there is the more profit expectancy
Unless that happens when u got dealt u will either only make peanuts by playing hand normally or steal blinds that's it

Don't try to limp because u will get beaten majority of times

U either play it by raise or all in hoping that somebody got good enough pair to call u

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hi,
this morning one of first deals - AA at UTG I got.. but K10 oversuite was better- beautifull Royal :)

PokerStars Hand #248890012809: Tournament #3713272864, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level II (50/100) - 2024/02/15 11:20:46 CET [2024/02/15 5:20:46 ET]
Table '3713272864 14' 8-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: thyagozxc (2292 in chips)
Seat 2: BlackSter953 (640 in chips)
Seat 3: svetlana975 (720 in chips)
Seat 4: Grzegorz00pl (612 in chips)
Seat 5: ncuxuatop (1040 in chips)
Seat 6: buks86 (1008 in chips)
Seat 7: maycika733 (3776 in chips)
Seat 8: PUPSIK09 (790 in chips)
thyagozxc: posts the ante 10
BlackSter953: posts the ante 10
svetlana975: posts the ante 10
Grzegorz00pl: posts the ante 10
ncuxuatop: posts the ante 10
buks86: posts the ante 10
maycika733: posts the ante 10
PUPSIK09: posts the ante 10
thyagozxc: posts small blind 50
BlackSter953: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Grzegorz00pl [Kc 5s]
svetlana975: calls 100
Grzegorz00pl: raises 502 to 602 and is all-in
ncuxuatop: folds
buks86: folds
maycika733: calls 602
PUPSIK09: folds
thyagozxc: folds
BlackSter953: folds
svetlana975: calls 502
*** FLOP *** [3d 8s As]
svetlana975: bets 108 and is all-in
maycika733: calls 108
*** TURN *** [3d 8s As] [4c]
*** RIVER *** [3d 8s As 4c] [2c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
svetlana975: shows [3h Ac] (two pair, Aces and Threes)
maycika733: shows [7h 8c] (a pair of Eights)
svetlana975 collected 216 from side pot
Grzegorz00pl: shows [Kc 5s] (a straight, Ace to Five)
Grzegorz00pl collected 2036 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2252 Main pot 2036. Side pot 216. | Rake 0
Board [3d 8s As 4c 2c]
Seat 1: thyagozxc (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: BlackSter953 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: svetlana975 showed [3h Ac] and won (216) with two pair, Aces and Threes
Seat 4: Grzegorz00pl showed [Kc 5s] and won (2036) with a straight, Ace to Five
Seat 5: ncuxuatop folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: buks86 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: maycika733 showed [7h 8c] and lost with a pair of Eights
Seat 8: PUPSIK09 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

it is another proof that playing alin with AA could be a mistake and eliminate You from turnament - so my friends - think twice before You play alin with AA pre flop

S

ShawnDuncan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
When you're dealt AA pre-flop, it's usually a good idea to raise aggressively to build the pot and narrow down the field of opponents. However, the size of your raise should be based on factors such as your position and the table dynamics

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Having AA and getting the most out of it will always be directly proportional to where you are sitting at the table at that moment, how many chips you have and how many players enter in your hand. If you play them slowly and with a low inning you risk that someone will beat you with 7-2, if you go all in at the start you risk that no one will enter and only take the blinds. That's why there's no right way to play them

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
3 bet or 4 bet, then continue to blast on any raise
after few days playing i got one thing to add. How to play AA it also depend on few factors, like:
1) Size of Your chips' stack (if it is near 10BB-20BB-i would play alin
2) Turnament phase (early, middle, late) (For example if it it is finle table - I would play alinn with AA hand)
3) Your current position at the table (when I start play poker - it was few months ago - I didn't thougt it is such important)
4) Your opponents behaviour and playing style (are they play Tight/Aggressive...)
5) Your daily condition (phusical, menthal) - sometimes You feel that everything is going well for You and sometimes the other way round - lost with AA after check to riva or playing allin pre-flop"

To sum up - it is good that sometimes AA Hand is loosing. It gives me hope and faith. When i see AA in opponent's hand - I don't afraid. I will be fight! I alwaysle like to see Flop and then decide.

Poker is not roulette gambling (red or black - double your money or lost all / alin and win or alin and rebuy ;)

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Having AA and getting the most out of it will always be directly proportional to where you are sitting at the table at that moment, how many chips you have and how many players enter in your hand. If you play them slowly and with a low inning you risk that someone will beat you with 7-2, if you go all in at the start you risk that no one will enter and only take the blinds. That's why there's no right way to play them
I agree with You 100%
Once I got a situation that You describle. I lost AA vs 27s - flush beat AA.
I limped, beeing at UTG possition, and I was hope that all players will call. (I wanted to have all players' chips in the pot :)

Finaly I lost playing slow. So now I will play AA Hand: alwayse a little bit more aggresive than other Monsters.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands