Is this a Donkey move???

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I was playing $5/10 today and was actually called out as a Donkey for this play that I made... your thoughts?
I am the SB and a player in the HJ makes it $50 To-go with just about $500 behind. I know this player to be quite tight and only raises with premium holdings. I also know that if I “hit” the flop I will get his stack. If I miss I can easily get away. I call the $50 with 10-7s and I’m sitting with about $2,500 behind. The UTG also comes along(another tight player who basically plays premiums hands) and has about $500 behind as well. The flop comes Js Qc 8s. So I hit this flop pretty hard with both straight & flush draws. I check, UTG checks and the HJ makes it $100. At this point I put him on an over pair and know that I’m getting called regardless of what I put into the pot.
I think for a bit a decide to jam I figured both villains have short stacks, and my implied odds are good enough to jam in this spot.
I get called by both villains and the pot has now ballooned to $1,700+\-.
The turn comes a 4d
River comes a 9s
The HJ turns over KK, UTG shows JJ for a set, and I obviously hit the straight flush. Not sure why these guys said I was a donkey for this play? It feels like a pretty standard play considering how “short” they were.... in fact now that I think about it. Even if they were sitting with deep stacks, I prolly would have still check-raised to $300-400 on that flop.... Thoughts?

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have played that hand just as you did. That wasn't a donkey play. They just didn't like getting beat by a straight flush.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there calling you a donkey for calling a 5BB raise with 10 7s oop with the effective stack being 50BB, i personally fold pre-flop but as played check shoving the flop is fine.

Lucky, but nice result. :cool:

cocojambo

cocojambo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had an unluck day myfriend.Keep playing and forget about the past.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyway, you ran them over. And they're just hurt and jealous that you beat them. Attaboy. Good luck with your future hands.

C

clombardo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it correctly post flop. I like to mix up my game like this and call with similar cards, as you said easy to get away from and you made the move against the correct kind of player.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's an easy fold pre but it's your money and you can play however you like.They should of sucked it up and said nice hand and got on with the game.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice hand and if you missed you still had 2000 left you gave yourself two chances to win they fold to your jam or you hit not donkey play no,
Aggressive maybe I might have only called the bets and then jammed on river after hitting but that allows for opponents to fold if they sniff out you had a flush and might not always be the best play a bit safer though nice hand.

A

Andy_mirON

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I would have played this hand as well, taking into account all the above. They are just jealous bc of bad beat.
But if opponents stack size would have been higher, it is likely to raise to 10BB I would have thrown off the Ts7s.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would immediately throw this card when I raised. Playing with a small card means releasing your stack. The fact that you just lucky does not mean that you did the right thing. These guys were right about the donkey. Put yourself in their place and think.I have players like you associate with fish.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I believe that you have done everything right. Everything happens in poker. Continue to play.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold pre. the jam on the flop is fine... but you dont beat tight players in the long term by hitting flops, so if youre calling with weak speculative hands, you need to have more to your plan than getting lucky and hitting the flop. so when he makes it 50, just get out of the way, hes got a strong hand and hes not folding pre to any reasonable raise.

also, you need implied odds to play speculative hands preflop. im not sure what you think implied odds are, but given the way you used the term in the original post, i can assure you that implied odds does not mean what you think it means. implied odds is how much they have left to pay you after you hit a hand, so if youre starting the hand against a short stack, then your implied odds are much lower. so if youre already all in, then you do not have implied odds.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didn't play the way "they" wanted you to. You laid out your reasons for calling the preflop bet which are all sound. Poker is more than the sum of all the math involved and a little luck is part of the game.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would of played your hand more or less as you had.
One Question? Why the hell do you care what other players call you, play your game and take their monies, simple as that.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
So I was playing $5/10 today and was actually called out as a Donkey for this play that I made... your thoughts?
I am the SB and a player in the HJ makes it $50 To-go with just about $500 behind. I know this player to be quite tight and only raises with premium holdings. I also know that if I “hit” the flop I will get his stack. If I miss I can easily get away. I call the $50 with 10-7s and I’m sitting with about $2,500 behind. The UTG also comes along(another tight player who basically plays premiums hands) and has about $500 behind as well. The flop comes Js Qc 8s. So I hit this flop pretty hard with both straight & flush draws. I check, UTG checks and the HJ makes it $100. At this point I put him on an over pair and know that I’m getting called regardless of what I put into the pot.
I think for a bit a decide to jam I figured both villains have short stacks, and my implied odds are good enough to jam in this spot.
I get called by both villains and the pot has now ballooned to $1,700+\-.
The turn comes a 4d
River comes a 9s
The HJ turns over KK, UTG shows JJ for a set, and I obviously hit the straight flush. Not sure why these guys said I was a donkey for this play? It feels like a pretty standard play considering how “short” they were.... in fact now that I think about it. Even if they were sitting with deep stacks, I prolly would have still check-raised to $300-400 on that flop.... Thoughts?

In this case you are not a donkey! Greetings!:dancing2:

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold pre. the jam on the flop is fine... but you dont beat tight players in the long term by hitting flops, so if youre calling with weak speculative hands, you need to have more to your plan than getting lucky and hitting the flop. so when he makes it 50, just get out of the way, hes got a strong hand and hes not folding pre to any reasonable raise.

also, you need implied odds to play speculative hands preflop. im not sure what you think implied odds are, but given the way you used the term in the original post, i can assure you that implied odds does not mean what you think it means. implied odds is how much they have left to pay you after you hit a hand, so if youre starting the hand against a short stack, then your implied odds are much lower. so if youre already all in, then you do not have implied odds.

I don’t really wanna argue or go “tit-for-tat”. But here is the definition of implied odds:
“IMPLIED ODDS”. Noun. The ratio of the amount of money that is expected to be in the pot by the end of the round or the end of the hand compared to the amount of money required to call and maintain eligibility to win the pot, expressed with the expected pot amount first and calling amount second.”
So yes I did use it correctly, and I do know what implied odds are. Do you? Apparently not.
I do not Need to have a “made hand” to have implied odds. I could have missed all my outs and lost the hand, but that doesn’t mean I still did not have implied odds.

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would of played your hand more or less as you had.
One Question? Why the hell do you care what other players call you, play your game and take their monies, simple as that.

I just thought it made for a good post. Wanted to see what others do in this spot.

R

ramonp74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mix it up

Hey, I agree with your play. I'm a firm believer on keeping the table on their toes. Keep crushing it.:rock:

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hilarious. Anyways they made a big mistake by calling you with names, they should have congratulated you and buy you a beer or two. You might want to educate them next time that calling you with names is bad for long term EV.

@mbrenneman0 is just too nice when trying to answer seriously