6 max table instead of full ring . what's your strategy ?

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how do you personally play in 6 player table cash games ? different than in full ring ? if yes explain please

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't usually play cash tables, only MTT and even in MTTs I avoid 6 max, but I believe that a good tip is to study a lot about range, since it is a table with few players and we must play more games, know exactly which hands to play seems very important to me.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
You don't have to spend years studying complex mathematical equations to win. Learn the basics and you'll be well on your way to destroying a 6-max table. 90% of the winnings come from weak players, so winning tactics depend on the type of opponents at the table. If weak opponents are sitting at the table, then try to play with them more often in distributions in order to maximize their weaknesses and mistakes.The good news is that your opponents are less likely to have a strong hand after you open. In most hands at 6-max tables, no one has a great hand, so 6-max cash games are very aggressive.Stick to a tight range even with multiple active players at the table.Weak players make a lot of mistakes post-flop, so big pots will give you more profit. Increased betting against strong opponents in position leads to frequent attacks on open raises at a loose table.

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
You don't have to spend years studying complex mathematical equations to win. Learn the basics and you'll be well on your way to destroying a 6-max table. 90% of the winnings come from weak players, so winning tactics depend on the type of opponents at the table. If weak opponents are sitting at the table, then try to play with them more often in distributions in order to maximize their weaknesses and mistakes.The good news is that your opponents are less likely to have a strong hand after you open. In most hands at 6-max tables, no one has a great hand, so 6-max cash games are very aggressive.Stick to a tight range even with multiple active players at the table.Weak players make a lot of mistakes post-flop, so big pots will give you more profit. Increased betting against strong opponents in position leads to frequent attacks on open raises at a loose table.
How quickly can you identify weaker players? In person and online as I assume there is often a big difference.

And actually how do you identify a weaker player or what is your cutoff between weak and strong?

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
how do you personally play in 6 player table cash games ? different than in full ring ? if yes explain please
It is logical that if you play on 6-max tables as tight as on full-ring tables, then given that the blinds will be posted much more often, - this will be like a play of nit on FR ))

It is necessary to expand the ranges to compensate for the increased losses on posting the blinds. Otherwise, there will be a big shortfall in profit...

P

PokerisEasy402

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
its completely feel. its that way in full ring except you have to hit the brakes more often

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Hi Baldy (sounds like an insult but it's your username!)

I like 6-Max over the full ring. Straight off the bat, your odds have improved because there are fewer players. Being in position is still important, but not quite as much, but you're in the cut-off and on the button more often. Ranges can be a bit looser, although I still play as tight as I usually do, maybe throwing in a few wider ranges on the BB, but the downside is you pay the blinds more often. Fewer players to study is also a massive bonus.

Edit: Personally I find the premium hands to be more valuable in 6-Max because like I said, the odds are better. This helps play into my tight style as players are less likely to also have premium hands.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thanks for such a good question mate. As others mentioned before, we must be more active in a 6-MAX table because 1 out of 3 times we are paying blinds. At Full-Ring tables we are paying blinds 1 out of 6 times, for there are three more seats.
The 6-MAX game works entirely on our ability to steal and defend the blinds as much as possible, i.e, we are going to focus on how to play more from the BTN, SB and BB, not meaning that we should despise other positions.
As to my humble knowledge, the first principle of the 6-MAX Tables is to play in position versus weaker opponents. We have to carefully choose the table and the players sitting on our left and right side, which some professionals named “the Jesus seat”. On our right side we desire more loose and agressive players and on our left side we desire players to be more passive and tight, so when we are sitting in the positions of CO, BTN and SB we are allowed to steal blinds more often than usual.
General charts indicates that at a 6-MAX table we can play at maximum 15% range from UTG and even 50% range from BTN! Sometimes we are going to play even 99% range from SB, when it comes in fold to the SB and the player sitting in the BB isn’t defending the blinds as it should be defending, i.e, a NIT player, with a high percentage of fold to steal SB x BB.
But we cannot play that amount of hands as the range charts indicate, under the risk of getting too much exploited. So we must be creative and try to do our best, construct our own ranges given scenario, and always try to play versus known weaker opponents.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How quickly can you identify weaker players? In person and online as I assume there is often a big difference.

And actually how do you identify a weaker player or what is your cutoff between weak and strong?
You identify weak players by being very concentrated in the game of everyone, observing their patterns of betting and hands they open, by paying a lot of attention to showdowns when they come and taking notes, e.g, UTG limps very often, this is a sign of weakness that we should be aware and take note of it.
A players comes to a showdown in a pot of 75 blinds defending Ace High, or a players comes to showdown owning a flush with 5 high, or a player uses to open 5 BB from any position, or a player tends to 3-bet 4 times versus opening raisor, all of these examples are clear signs of weakness i.e, things we can take notes to explore later.
And why opening 5x preflop is a weakness? Because we are not gurus, we don’t know the future or the dealers cards, so we try to play a balanced game: many players will open raise 5, 7, 9x owning TT+ and AQs+, nonetheless, with the rest of their range they will open raise to 3x, thus giving information about their gameplay which is a clear weakness, as showing the cards, table talking, jamming preflop in a high frequency, you name it!
In other words, anything that deviates from GTO could be considered a weak move and deserves a note.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon!
I'm used to playing 6-max as the game seems to be more dynamic here than on full table + zoom tables.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at 6 max tables the game is more dynamic - that's a plus, not many people support the game at 9 max tables - at the moment it's boring for reactionary players

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I usually play full ring tables, but if I play a 6max the game play is faster and more aggressive.

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I prefer full ring but nothing wrong with 6 player. They are typical good for sngs

iman_wd

iman_wd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EE
Chips
it's important to be more aggressive than in full ring games and focus on position. Try to play more hands in position, and be willing to make moves like 3-betting and check-raising more frequently to gain control of the pot. Additionally, be aware of your opponents' tendencies and adjust your strategy accordingly.