My 2nl run

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I doubt I was running hot for the 1000 hands before this crisis. Wow, I pretty much ended up losing 4BI in the span of 4 hours or so.

In first graph from today it looks that your BB/100=21.95? not sure because is really tinny, but if number is correct you probably was on a superheater and maybe variance is taking his part to even things. anyway 4000 hands is not much, just keep playing your best and things should be ok, if get on tilt because so many beats better to take a break. If you set a goal to stop with X number winning also can set that goal for loses and stop no matter what.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my BB/100 is 15.42 so that might be a heater but im not sure. I did have some suck outs on villains (like QT vs 77 and hit fullhouse on the river) but I also got good hands where I was able to get villain to put his entire stack in with middle or bottom pair while I had top pair. The reason why I think I was on a cooler was because I kept on losing despite getting my money in with the best hand. I hit the nut flush on the turn and got all the money in against a set of kings (only had 20% chance to make fullhouse on river). I also got all my money in with QQ against AK on a low flop (75 to 25).

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds from you recent posts like you might be getting into marginal situations too often and coin-flipping for your entire stack...

-You shoved JJ preflop...I don't generally shove JJ preflop unless I think the villain will call light. You normally get called by AK and are flipping (not good) or by TT+ (you only beat TT). I would 3-bet with JJ, then fold if they shove.

-You shoved JJ and QQ on low flops....I have done this before and a lot of the time I run into KK or AA or a low set. I think it is safer to bet around 3/4 pot and consider folding your QQ if a solid opponent reraise shoves.

You only lost 5BI's, I find this can easily happen through suckouts and couple of bad decisions. The key is not to tilt. GL :D

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the KQs hand, I bet the turn since I sensed weakness and called the river because I thought I had showdown value (put the opponent on QJ or something).

I should have folded the flop for AKs. I know that I need to be more disciplined and fold AK when I miss the flop but it sucks after waiting so long for a good hand and when I hit and bet, the opponent folds. This kinda explains why I did not shove the turn w/ 66 on the turn. I did not want to get villain to fold without committing most of his chips in and not generate fold equity in the process.

I was wondering how much I should bet on 2nl. Should I open AK with 15? More?
4BB +1 for every limper. It is not just a way to isolate fish but also it is a way to make profit on the long run when playing strong hands.
Do not slowplay sets when the board has obvious draws.
Educate yourself to have the discipline to fold when the odds are against you. I think you got some bad beats but also i saw hands played like c...p and calls when the odds were not on your side.
Even if it sucks when you do not get hands for a while remember that you do not play for immediate profit. That is gambling. You play poker and what you have to do is to take everytime the correct decision. Like chess. That is all that you have to think of. Not money but correct decisions everytime.
My advice. Try to play some Fixed limit poker untill you learn the odds. Play tight, play pocket pairs, suited connectors(be carefull in what conditions is profitable to do that), play agressive when you have it, fold when you do not have pott odds. You will have to read some articles (pokerstrategy is a good site for this). It may take 2-3 mounths untill you'll get confortable and start grinding but it will be a good lesson and you wil have the bankroll to do that. And final advice. Never tilt. A bad beat is a bad beat .. you took the right decision. That's all. It takes years for a beginner to grind up to a bankroll of 1k. It is that hard because it takes a lot of time untill the beginner grinds to that 100 dollars.

Last edited:
micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to play some Fixed limit poker untill you learn the odds.

You gave some good advice but I'm not sure it is necessary to switch to FL...could that not be detrimental as implied odds etc are vastly different when the pot can only reach a limited size?

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice. I guess one problem is that I hate folding premium hands since I wait for them often although I am avoiding tougher situations. I dont bluff, bet aggressive when I hit TPTK or if I hit 2 pair, and dont slowplay with sets (I may bet 3/4 pot instead of pot but thats about the extent of my slowplay).

I always thought that JJ played alot like QQ against AK which is why I thought it was fine to open shove since you get both fold equity and are a small favorite against AK. I guess I might tighten up and only use JJ to steal blinds unless I hit a set on the flop or no over cards. I think the prob of meeting a higher pp with JJ or QQ is not too high since KK against AA is like 1/18. There are some hands I think I played well but maybe these hands are more marginal than I thought.

Party Poker - $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem (9 players)
Party Poker Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $0.60
BB: $1.81
UTG: $2 (sitting out)
UTG+1: $2 (sitting out)
MP: $1.72
MP+1: $1.29
MP+2: $2.39
CO: $2.37
BTN Hero: $1.97

Pre-flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN and dealt :qh4: :qc4:
MP folds, MP+1 calls $0.02, MP+2 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.14, BB folds, MP+1 calls $0.13, CO folds

Flop: ($0.51) :9h4: :7d4: :4h4: (5 players)
SB checks, MP+1 checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB folds, MP+1 raises to $1.14, Hero calls $0.54

Turn: ($2.79) :9h4: :7d4: :4h4: :9s4: (4 players)

River: ($2.79) :9h4: :7d4: :4h4: :9s4: :as4: (4 players)

My QQ hand. I think I played it well since the odds were significantly in my favor after the flop. I also did not put my opponent on AK since he was a loose player and limped UTG.

SB Hero: $1.79
BB: $2
UTG: $2.20
UTG+1: $0.98
MP: $1.31
MP+1: $0.80 (sitting out)
MP+2: $0.55
CO: $1.76
BTN: $1.12

Pre-flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB and dealt :ad4: :8h4:
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.02, MP raises to $1.31 (All-in), 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.79 (All-in), UTG+1 folds

Flop: ($3.14) :9d4: :3s4: :4s4: (3 players)

Turn: ($3.14) :9d4: :3s4: :4s4: :5c4: (3 players)

River: ($3.14) :9d4: :3s4: :4s4: :5c4: :6c4: (3 players)

Final Pot: $3.14

Showdown:
Hero shows :ad4: :8h4: (high card ace)
MP shows :5h4: :6h4: (two pair, sixes and fivees)
Outcome: Hero wins $0.48
Outcome: MP wins $2.53

Normally, I would never dream of calling a shove with a hand as weak as A8o. But I saw villain literally shove every hand preflop and stealing the blinds. I knew he was shoving ATC literally and felt that Ace high would be a good chance to take his stack. After checking on Pokerstove, my hand was a favorite 60 to 40 against ATC and was about the same against his actual hand. I may have wanted to wait a little more patiently for a better hand but I thought this was a good chance to take the maniac's stack.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

SB: $2
BB Hero: $2.19
UTG: $0.56
UTG+1: $2.01
MP: $1.58
MP+1: $2
MP+2: $0.47 (sitting out)
CO: $1.95 (sitting out)
BTN: $1.56

Pre-flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB and dealt :2s4: :as4:
UTG calls $0.02, 3 folds, BTN raises to $0.04, SB folds, Hero calls $0.02, UTG raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.19) :8s4: :6s4: :kc4: (5 players)
Hero bets $0.20, UTG calls $0.20, BTN folds

Turn: ($0.59) :8s4: :6s4: :kc4: :3s4: (4 players)
Hero bets $0.30, UTG calls $0.30 (All-in)

River: ($1.19) :8s4: :6s4: :kc4: :3s4: :6h4: (4 players)

Final Pot: $1.19

Showdown:
Hero shows :2s4: :as4: (ace-high flush)
UTG shows :kh4: :ks4: (a full house, kings full of sixes)
Outcome: UTG wins $1.14

This hand was really weird for me since I did not put villain on such a strong hand. Villain limped UTG so I put him on maybe a suited connector or decent broadway like KQs. I may have been a little loose calling the raise and reraise but the raises were small so I wanted to see a flop since I was against loose opponents and thought I could get paid off big if I hit my nut flush. The flop gave me a draw so I bet into it (would not have minded if I took the pot down right there). Got one caller and the turn gave me my nut flush. There were no pairs on the board and I put villain on possibly a lower flush or 2 pair, maybe even TPTK so I bet to put him all in. He called and the board paired, giving him the full house.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why don't you have auto rebuy on?

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I went over PT to see the hands that cost me the most money (BB/hand) and my worst is JJ, followed by A8s and KQs. I think TT is up there as well but is a little skewed since I actually sucked out once with TT against AA. I think I overvalue decent PP like JJ, TT and potential draws like KQs. Im also losing money with AKo but looking back, there are some stupid plays (bluffing when I did not connect w/ the flop and then calling, firing another barrel and then having to fold when villain goes all in) I did and one time when a person hit their set when I made TPTK.

I guess Im having a hard time both playing good but not great pp and putting my villains on a range. Ive seen too many people limp with KK, AK, or even AA as well as people raise and reraise w/ KQs or JTs. I make notes but its hard to get a read sometimes but I dont want to then play scared poker. Any advice on playing these hands or should I even leave these hands out of my range for a while?

My range is currently about this:
early position: raise AA, KK, AK
middle position: raise with JJ, QQ, AA, KK, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ if no raise before me.
reraise w/ AA, KK, AK
consider calling or folding to reraise w/ AQ, AJ
late position: raise w/ KQ, KJ, QJ, possibly JT if villain is tight to take blind
limp with 55+, 78s, 89s, Axs+ if I feel lucky (maybe this might be a bad thing but I also feel I need to create a looser image to get more calls on my raises).

I dont play sc much since I often do not get enough straight draws that lead into made straights if I play them (I look at the flop and pretend to see how I would play my hand had I hit) and am not comfortable playing flush draws with them since I feel they can get crushed (people play Axs or Kxs to hit flushes)

I tried to study up on pps to see how to play them and tried practicing hitting sets (I know the odds are 1 to 8.5 so they really rely on implied odds to be worth hit) and that sort of began this huge downfall I experienced today.

I also really do not like calling since I get no fold equity and find that most loose players are often calling stations rather than maniacs (I purposely go to tables where % of players/flop is >60% which is common in fr 2nl) since I think if I play tight against these players, I can get paid off with my hands. Maybe I need to readjust my opponents? Since I try to play a TAG game, I dont want to sit at a table where plr/flop <= 20.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I went over PT to see the hands that cost me the most money (BB/hand) and my worst is JJ, followed by A8s and KQs. I think TT is up there as well but is a little skewed since I actually sucked out once with TT against AA. I think I overvalue decent PP like JJ, TT and potential draws like KQs. Im also losing money with AKo but looking back, there are some stupid plays (bluffing when I did not connect w/ the flop and then calling, firing another barrel and then having to fold when villain goes all in) I did and one time when a person hit their set when I made TPTK.

I guess Im having a hard time both playing good but not great pp and putting my villains on a range. Ive seen too many people limp with KK, AK, or even AA as well as people raise and reraise w/ KQs or JTs. I make notes but its hard to get a read sometimes but I dont want to then play scared poker. Any advice on playing these hands or should I even leave these hands out of my range for a while?

My range is currently about this:
early position: raise AA, KK, AK
middle position: raise with JJ, QQ, AA, KK, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ if no raise before me.
reraise w/ AA, KK, AK
consider calling or folding to reraise w/ AQ, AJ
late position: raise w/ KQ, KJ, QJ, possibly JT if villain is tight to take blind
limp with 55+, 78s, 89s, Axs+ if I feel lucky (maybe this might be a bad thing but I also feel I need to create a looser image to get more calls on my raises).

I dont play sc much since I often do not get enough straight draws that lead into made straights if I play them (I look at the flop and pretend to see how I would play my hand had I hit) and am not comfortable playing flush draws with them since I feel they can get crushed (people play Axs or Kxs to hit flushes)

I tried to study up on pps to see how to play them and tried practicing hitting sets (I know the odds are 1 to 8.5 so they really rely on implied odds to be worth hit) and that sort of began this huge downfall I experienced today.

I also really do not like calling since I get no fold equity and find that most loose players are often calling stations rather than maniacs (I purposely go to tables where % of players/flop is >60% which is common in fr 2nl) since I think if I play tight against these players, I can get paid off with my hands. Maybe I need to readjust my opponents? Since I try to play a TAG game, I dont want to sit at a table where plr/flop <= 20.
Read Edd Miller's book "Small stackes strategy" and take the starting hands chart from there. Second. Improve your postflop play. Raise hard in position with strong hands to clean the table from weak hands and cbet after if the flop is not verry funny (Sloplaying top pair is a bad mistake).Depending on the opponent profile you have to consider folding even top pair postflop. Do not limp with small pocket pairs. Fold early position, standard 4 BB raise from middle and late position. You want to do that so that you cbet after . Only call with pocket pairs when there are several callers in front of you. But all this is in the book.
This is just the beginning. The theory is an entire book. Take a weak break and read 2-3 times and the same time try finding some videos with players playing at micros and watch them careffully. Do not think you are a decent player cose you are not. But you can become one.
I myself know what my leaks are but is not easy to close them. All comes with work and experience we all have a lot to learn. Even Phil Ivey said he still has a lot to learn. Is hard enough to be a break even player. To be a winning player is even harder.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think ill take a break and get some reading. Ive read super system in the past and a basic holdem book and have spent a lot of time on forums so I thought I was good enough for the micros but not yet it seems. I assume raising 4 or 5xBB is strong enough to clear the board of weak hands but you can be surprised by what people call by and its hard to tell when villain limps then reraises.

Thanks for the book rec Swingro. I felt I was a decent player for a micros level beginner (I know I would get crushed at anything higher than micros and I do want to get better) but I guess I still have many holes to fill. I was hoping Swingro if you could point out any notable leaks you notice in my play or is my play just bad overall?

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think ill take a break and get some reading. Ive read super system in the past and a basic holdem book and have spent a lot of time on forums so I thought I was good enough for the micros but not yet it seems. I assume raising 4 or 5xBB is strong enough to clear the board of weak hands but you can be surprised by what people call by and its hard to tell when villain limps then reraises.
Limp/reraise normally = monster; fold your AJo.

Yep, it's often surprising what people will not fold. Raise your big hands, and try to see flops with implied odds hands IP (because at the micros you WILL be able to get the money in post flop). Fold TP when they start reraising you on the turn and such. Fold when you haven't got it (i.e. do not bluff that much unless against nits), bet bet bet when you have it. Bet/folding is good, not weak.

Fold more, so you do not make the same mistake as your opponents :)

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet/folding is good, not weak.

^This. The first poker book I read was The Little Green Book. There's a part there where Phil Gordon describes a player that sat on a table he was as a strong aggressive opponent as someone that would bet, raise or fold.

@ClubArrow77

If you are not feeling good about your game, take a break but more important than reading books, review your hands and post them in HA. I say this because I tried my best to do stuff like the books I read and most stuff doesn't work at 2NL.

You'll improve a whole lot more if you review your own game and put hands for analysis here.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I basically play a bet or a bet/fold game if I go into the hand w/ something decent. I bet when I connect w/ TPTK or better and cbet to see where Im at if im against one player. If im in BB and I see a free flop, I only bet if I have top pair and want to see where im at and fold to raises and reraises by others. If I dont connect at all, I usually check/fold.

That might seem less "aggressive" than Gordon's description but I dont see the benefit of raising with something like T2o on a broadway flop with three or four other players in the hand. Its basically im intending to fold but wont if no one else bets.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, played a short session today and lost $5. Got my aces cracked twice at the same table. I know Im not the best player ever and dont pretend to me and make simple plays but I feel theres no book you can read to learn how to not become variance's B*tch. I cant post the hands now since the converter is not working for me right now but here is a basic playthrough.

Delt aces in middle position
I raise 3xBB and get a insta call from the person to my left. Everyone else folds and we are heads up. I overbet the flop to put the opponent all in. Opponent calls with his flush draw and makes his draw.

Dealt aces and raise 4xbb. One caller and BB reraises to 24. I reraise to 50 and caller folds. BB reraises all in and I call. BB shows Jacks and hits a jack on the turn to take down the pot.

I dont think I could have played these aces any better, (maybe raise the first ace a little more). I could raise hands like AK like 5xBB but that just kicks everyone out of the pot and I only win blinds. Since most people shortstack, playing marginal hands like 67s are not profitable and although there can be many limpers, most limpers insta fold to reraises. I guess I could reraise w/ marginal hands to bluff but there always seems to be one person willing to play and them shove the flop.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know Im not the best player ever and dont pretend to me and make simple plays but I feel theres no book you can read to learn how to not become variance's B*tch

Since most people shortstack...
I try to not play in tables with more than 2 shorstacks.

Hang in there, it sucks but you need to see it like you only lose 2buyins which happen very often to everyone, don´t see it like $5. Also, there is a book call it The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler, i don´t have the book but read some pages free in his site and looks solid for deal with tilt and how to aproach better to poker. Been reading very good comments about the book in general, plan to buy it as soon as can. Maybe could work for you.