What do I have to do!!???

A

Aleeki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe Im just not cut out for this shit.

What did i do wrong here??? Am i severely missing something? I go bust on hands like these all the time.

pokerstars (Cash Game): $0.10/$0.25 NL , 6 players
Thu Jan 17 04:10:23 NZDT 2008

PiS.Juliam ($16.60)
gotryerye ($7.45)
Aleeki ($23.90)
asianhybrid ($32.60)
MailmanMel ($28)
LokoIvan ($36.50)

LokoIvan is the button.

Precards:
PiS.Juliam posts the small blind $0.10, gotryerye posts the big blind $0.25.

Preflop: Aleeki is dealt 5d 6d (6 active)
Aleeki calls $0.25, asianhybrid folds, MailmanMel raises to $1, 3 folds, Aleeki calls $0.75.

Flop: 6c 3s Jd ($2.35, 2 active)
Aleeki checks, MailmanMel bets $1.25, Aleeki calls $1.25.

Turn: 6c 3s Jd 5s ($4.85, 2 active)
Aleeki checks, MailmanMel bets $2.50, Aleeki raises to $6.75, MailmanMel calls $4.25.

River: 6c 3s Jd 5s 4h ($18.35, 2 active)
Aleeki bets $14.90 (all-in), MailmanMel calls $14.90.

Final Pot: $45.80, $2.35 raked
Aleeki, net: -$23.90, Lost at showdown, has 5d 6d (Two Pair, Sixes and Fives)
MailmanMel, net: $21.90, Won at showdown, has Jh Jc (Three of a Kind, Jacks)
gotryerye, net: -$0.25, Folded Preflop
PiS.Juliam, net: -$0.10, Folded Preflop

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Open limping in 6-max is almost always a no-no.

You should be folding this pf, as should you be folding this flop. As played there's really nothing you can do once you hit two pair on the turn, but the issues lie in the earlier streets.

R

RMcLeod

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As Chuck said you should have folded that hand pre-flop especially from UTG and absoultely no questions when you got raised.

Okay so you saw the flop and all you had was mid-pair with no kicker to talk about, you did the right thing in checking. When villain put his bet in alarm bells should have rang, because odds are he has the other Jack which at this stage would beat your pair.

On the Turn and River with two pair you didn't do much wrong, but you should have been out of the hand before the flop and definately before the turn.

I mean no dis-respect but I don't think this was a particuarly bad beat, the guy had pocket Jacks and the odds say that hand will beat yours and it did.

You may think what I have said is BS but either way, look at it this way all lost hands offer us a lesson.

WinPokerToday

WinPokerToday

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree 100% with RM.

I'd add it was risky pushing all in with an open ended straight draw on the board. Granted it was unlikely he had 7 or a 2.

But even if he doesnt have a straight, as far as I can see, no one is calling your all in, unless they have you beat (ie better than just a pair), so it was a bad bet to make as far as I'm concerned.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh hell....I have the same problem at times. You are in a card drought and end up playing any mediocre hand in the hopes of hitting two pair. More often than not you hit 2nd or third pair on the flop but end up way behind.

It comes down to patience and discipline....let it go... with this hand especially. Maybe call from the blinds and see the flop but only if its is really cheap, and then only bet on the flopped straight. 2nd / 3rd pair is not enough with the rubbish kicker.

Chuck will probably shoot me for this :p

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BANG! ;)

I really can't stress how bad open-limping in 6-max is though...

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what you did wrong can be summed up quickly, this is what you should do

fold pre flop
fold to raise pre flop
fold flop
check call vulnerable hand on turn
check call uber vulnerable hand on river

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd like to know what the reasoning is for calling that raise preflop.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What did i do wrong here??? Am i severely missing something?

Umm, every single street is misplayed. I would advise you stop playing for a bit and go and read some poker literature.

To summarize:

Fold preflop
Fold flop
Call turn
Fold river

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd like to know what the reasoning is for calling that raise preflop.

Looks like a player who places a very high value on sooooooted connectors of any kind. online poker rooms are loaded with them, even the ring games.

He does state in the OP that he plays these kind of hands "all the time". That said, any question about why he goes 'bust' all time on these hands ..?? .. :D

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Umm, every single street is misplayed. I would advise you stop playing for a bit and go and read some poker literature.

To summarize:

Fold preflop
Fold flop
Call turn
Fold river

My thoughts exactly. HOw long have you been playing poker? It looks like your still looking only at your own hand and not paying attention to what the other guy might have. :):)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think 56 suited are good cards, re think. They are enticing cards, but not good cards. Middle pair is too tricky to get aggressive with. It ended up costing too much to see the flop. My advice is if you can limp to see a cheap flop, fine, but no more calling a raise PF with this sht.

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Also, pay no attention to the plays you see on TV and cerainly don't try to copy them. What you're realy seeing is very long days and a lot of tables full of people edited down to a few minutes to represent the most exciting parts of the game in the editor's eye....

Can't count the number of times I see guys chating about who played what how. They seem to be the guys that call preflop raises with little suite connectors and always easy marks. It kind of paints a bullseye on them for me (either by playing those types of cards too much or by chatting about tv).

Best advice...The gang here all ready gave it. Keep asking questions and read Q/A that others ask.

Good luck!