Spewing or nice turn c/r? (88 vs LAG, LHE)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain appears to be at least as lucky as his dog, if the last hour at the table is anything to go by. Seems a little LAG and pretty much your average 1/2 player quality-wise, but no great reads tbh.

pokerstars Game #6381800172: HORSE (Hold'em Limit, $1/$2) - 2006/09/22 - 19:22:50 (ET)
Table 'Irus' 8-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Wired Fives ($16.90 in chips)
Seat 2: Realtorcraig ($41 in chips)
Seat 3: Qhr1s ($122.75 in chips)
Seat 4: SuperUnknown ($40.40 in chips)
Seat 5: LuckysMyDog ($76.40 in chips)
Seat 7: BACTERIA ($51.70 in chips)
Seat 8: levin_money ($75.45 in chips)
Qhr1s: posts small blind $0.50
SuperUnknown: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Qhr1s [8h 8s]
LuckysMyDog: raises $1 to $2
BACTERIA: folds
zerovector joins the table at seat #6
levin_money: folds
Wired Fives: calls $2
Realtorcraig: folds
Qhr1s: calls $1.50
SuperUnknown: folds
*** FLOP *** [6h 3s 9c]
Qhr1s: checks
LuckysMyDog: bets $1
Wired Fives: calls $1
Qhr1s: calls $1
*** TURN *** [6h 3s 9c] [4c]
Qhr1s: checks
LuckysMyDog: bets $2
Wired Fives: folds
Qhr1s: raises $2 to $4

You like, or is this a bit spewy? What are the merits of just calling down here as opposed to playing it as shown? Does anybody consider folding (lol)?

*** RIVER *** [6h 3s 9c 4c] [7c]
Qhr1s: bets $2

Like? Or should I be check/calling here?

S

scifell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky has bet and raised every chance he has gotten up to the turn [and raised preflop from first position]. I would have to at least suspect the possibility of a big pair here- unless he is just a total maniac. But a large ace- or big suited connectors- is possible too, and indeed more likely (assuming he is capable of this as a LAG player). As such, I like your raise on the turn. You are playing the odds well , and gaining more information than a raise on the flop would have given you, IMO.

Did he call your raise on the turn, or reraise?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Checkraising the turn is not spewing. He actions so far mean "I could have, like, an ace." The possibility of a big pair is of course there (add in A-9 and possibly K-9) but there are a lot more hands that you beat.

I would probably have checkraised the flop, rather than the turn. The reason for this is that Wired Fives will pay another bet on the flop with overcards, but he will always fold the turn. The board isn't drawish, so you want him to pay that extra bet now if you can (because he's not sticking around unless he hits).

The river isn't as bad as it may seem. It didn't put another overcard to your hand on the board, and the risk of him having 5-5 or A-5 or some other weird combo is pretty small given the action so far. It did complete a backdoor flush draw, though, which is a bigger concern. He didn't fold to the turn checkraise, so he must've figured to have a decent chance of winning still. However, a lot of people call a turn c/r on similar boards with hands like AJo because they figure you're likely semibluffing (and that their A-high hands are good). But when that river fell, virtually any hand that you were semibluffing with will now beat a-high. Will he call? Maybe with AK.

I think the river is close. Really close. If you have a read that he'll sometimes call with A-high, bet all day long. If he's a compulsive bluffer, check. I don't think that it will matter much in the long run which way you decide to go on this river, though.