Should I fold the turn?

M

mregnid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
UTG raises 4BB (stats 20 14 Aggression 3), I call in MP with 9c9d, CO and BTN both call, pot is 17.4BB.
Flop is 3d7c3h, UTG bets 11.4BB, I call, CO and BTN both fold.
Turn is the Th. UTG bets 13.2BB.

What do you think?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Is this 6 handed, online or live and at what stakes? 100bb deep?

Assuming online , 100bb, microstakes, I might just fold pre v a 4bb open, especially if villain raises smaller other times.

As played flop is ok to call if villain is likely to cbet often with overcards, though it's a pretty strong bet into 3 opponents out of position and you are first to act so you could reasonably fold here.

If he has an overpair I would expect a bigger turn bet, he only bets about 1/3rd. Maybe he hit a T or he has AK and doesnt know what to do, flush draws are also possible. Of course he could just be slowing down with a strong hand to make sure you call. It's a tough spot, i might call getting such good pot odds and hope he checks the river or i spike a 9. But fold is also fine as it seems close either way at this point.

M

mregnid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Is this 6 handed, online or live and at what stakes? 100bb deep?

Assuming online , 100bb, microstakes, I might just fold pre v a 4bb open, especially if villain raises smaller other times.

As played flop is ok to call if villain is likely to cbet often with overcards, though it's a pretty strong bet into 3 opponents out of position and you are first to act so you could reasonably fold here.

If he has an overpair I would expect a bigger turn bet, he only bets about 1/3rd. Maybe he hit a T or he has AK and doesnt know what to do, flush draws are also possible. Of course he could just be slowing down with a strong hand to make sure you call. It's a tough spot, i might call getting such good pot odds and hope he checks the river or i spike a 9. But fold is also fine as it seems close either way at this point.

Thanks, it was 100bb online microstakes, I called and then the river was another 3. They then bet one third pot, having got to this point what should I have done here?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks, it was 100bb online microstakes, I called and then the river was another 3. They then bet one third pot, having got to this point what should I have done here?
Tough spot. Probably call, you only need to be good 20% of the time here and it's certainly possible he has overcards especially with flush draw. You dont really have any better hands to call. It sucks as you will probably be shown an overpair 70%+ of the time.

Another option would be to now rip in your stack as though you were slow playing 77 or TT or 3x. But you have to hope he folds an overpair or Tx for this to be profitable, which I wouldn't rely on at microstakes

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This type of run out also shows why 99 might be best played as 3 bet or fold preflop in these positions

M

mregnid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
This type of run out also shows why 99 might be best played as 3 bet or fold preflop in these positions
Yeah thanks, all good advice, I ended up calling and was shown JJ. In hindsight would have been better to fold preflop.

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello,
It's not an easy decision
but on the turn and with the bet of the UTG we must take into consideration 3 factors:

- Is your opponent a Reg player or not
- in what rage have you already put your opponent
- and how deep is your stack to call or raise

for my side 70% I fold

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah thanks, all good advice, I ended up calling and was shown JJ. In hindsight would have been better to fold preflop.
I took baybe a smart decision this year after 20 years of play (and its work)
packet less than TT no more than 3 bet to do or to call
and if no 3 of kind shown on the flop I realy fold in any bet when overcard is on the flop - 90% of the time I fold

M

mregnid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
hello,
It's not an easy decision
but on the turn and with the bet of the UTG we must take into consideration 3 factors:

- Is your opponent a Reg player or not
- in what rage have you already put your opponent
- and how deep is your stack to call or raise

for my side 70% I fold
Looked like a weak reg, opponent not in a rage, 100BB deep.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG raises 4BB (stats 20 14 Aggression 3), I call in MP with 9c9d, CO and BTN both call, pot is 17.4BB.

What do you think?
he might have a hand, but i still would of called, you get a lot of information even if you lose.

M

mregnid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
he might have a hand, but i still would of called, you get a lot of information even if you lose.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What do you think?
I think Calling preflop is fine, not the best odds but we still have some equity to play postflop. OTF we can continue calling for villain still holds tons of broadways that could’ve bet this flop for bluff.
OTT we continue calling, villain reduced the sizing of his bet (compare it to the flop where villain bets more than 1/2 pot and OTT villain bets 1/4 pot).
Yes, if villain is changing his sizing I agree we can fold this preflop. But if the player is unknown or if it always raises 4x, we are easily calling here. I think that 3-betting could be a mistake but folding seems kinda NIT.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think Calling preflop is fine, not the best odds but we still have some equity to play postflop. OTF we can continue calling for villain still holds tons of broadways that could’ve bet this flop for bluff.
OTT we continue calling, villain reduced the sizing of his bet (compare it to the flop where villain bets more than 1/2 pot and OTT villain bets 1/4 pot).

Yes, if villain is changing his sizing I agree we can fold this preflop. But if the player is unknown or if it always raises 4x, we are easily calling here. I think that 3-betting could be a mistake but folding seems kinda NIT.

I know it seems tight but GTO startegies are either to mix fold and 3bet or mix fold, call and 3bet. So against a larger open with worse pot odds it probably leans towards a fold.

I know it seems tight, but 99 wont realise its equity well, as most of the time it wont flop a set and have to navigate overcards and stronger pocket pairs.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I think, calling is fine, but already now you need to think about if you are going to play this as a strict setmine, of if you also have some other plan. The 4BB is kind of worrysome, unless he does this all the time, because it often means some kind of strong hand.

Flop
This is maybe the most important point in the hand. If it was heads up, you clearly have to call with an overpair, even though he could have a better overpair or (less likely) a 3. But you have two guys left behind you. First of all this mean, that if he has any idea, what he is doing, then he is not C-betting light here. If he has a hand like AK or AQ, he should just be checking and mostly looking to give up, if someone behind put out a bet. So you dont really beat much here other than I guess exactly 88. Which is not a whole lot to beat, if he have zero bluffs, and if he can also have TT+.

There is also the risk, that someone behind comes along as well, and in that situation it will be almost impossible for you to get to showdown. Someone behind could raise, in which case you wont even get to see the turn. So I think, its fine to consider this a missed setmine and fold right now. Its not often, that we can straight out fold an overpair on the flop, but in my opinion this was such a situation due to the multiway nature of the pot and also due to him opening to 4BB UTG, which to me is a pretty big bet sizing tell.

Turn and river
At least nobody behind gave action, but you are still in a pretty shitty spot, and its anything but surpricing, that he show up with a hand like JJ.

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What do you think?
You can still put AK and two overcards in one street, but you will have to look at the size of the bet on the river.

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think you should have fold after turn. As played it’s obv. That he had show down value and the bet size is also just to milk low pp. He knows he would get reraised by better hands that’s why he made such small bets

Folding in Poker