Question on this live game hand

X

xCashin_inx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1/$2 live game at a club a few nights ago, here is what happened.

Me - $250
Villian - $50

Villian is BB and im 2 to the right of the dealer, it folds around to me and I raise $8 make it 10 all day with 10-10. It folds around to Villian who raises it to $20. I push him all in for the rest of his chips and he reluctantly calls and turns over AJo. Heads up, pretty much a coinflip.

Flop comes : 8-5-2
Turn: 7
River : J

I was thinking to myself, was it the right move to push him all in preflop? If I would have just called his reraise he probablly would have had to have to fold on the flop unless he felt he was pot committed. But then again if an overcard came out on the flop I probablly would have had to have folded on the flop. What was the right move? Was I right or wrong to put him all in preflop?

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's a shortstack with 25 big blinds so I think you played it ok. Preflop raise it to only $6, $10 is too much. Then if he 3bet to $12, you could call and the pot would be $24 and he would have $38 left behind. And on a ragged flop like that you could get him all in, if it came a bunch of high cards, you could fold.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop raise it to only $6, $10 is too much.

Maybe online, but live is a very different beast when it comes to pre-flop raises - especially at levels as low as $1-$2. $10 can be a pretty standard opening raise live.

With stack sizes as they are I don't think there's anything wrong with how you played it, Cashin.

Granted, on this particular flop you would've taken the pot down if you had've just flat called and then bet. But what if the flop had come KQx or A78 and villain had lead at it? You'd likely be the one having to give it up.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Top 10 Games