Micro NLHE hand

S

Sohmurr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the hand came up I hadn't been playing at the table long so I didn't have any solid ideas about the players, but I knew seat 1 had seen several flops and seat 2 had raised about the same before this hand.

pokerstars Game #16400382093: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2008/03/31 - 22:43:53 (ET)
Table 'Itzigsohn II' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: NutStuN ($1.69 in chips)
Seat 2: scuzks ($6.04 in chips)
Seat 3: copeton ($2.98 in chips)
Seat 4: milehighmc ($1.11 in chips)
Seat 5: drgnbttrfly ($3.86 in chips)
Seat 6: Sohmurr ($5.58 in chips)
Seat 7: wordyyoyo ($5.29 in chips)
Seat 9: robertove ($3.08 in chips)
POKERALEX069 leaves the table
copeton: posts small blind $0.01
milehighmc: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Sohmurr [8h 8d]
drgnbttrfly: folds
Sohmurr: calls $0.02
wordyyoyo: folds
robertove: folds
NutStuN: calls $0.02
scuzks: raises $0.10 to $0.12
copeton: folds
milehighmc: folds
Sohmurr: calls $0.10
NutStuN: calls $0.10
*** FLOP *** [6c Qd 3c]
Sohmurr: checks
blub81 joins the table at seat #8
NutStuN: checks
scuzks: bets $0.30
Sohmurr: raises $0.40 to $0.70
NutStuN: raises $0.87 to $1.57 and is all-in
scuzks: folds
milehighmc leaves the table
Sohmurr: calls $0.87
*** TURN *** [6c Qd 3c] 8♣
*** RIVER *** [6c Qd 3c 8c] [Th]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Sohmurr: shows [8h 8d] (three of a kind, Eights)
NutStuN: shows [Ts Qh] (two pair, Queens and Tens)
Sohmurr collected $3.68 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3.83 | Rake $0.15
Board [6c Qd 3c 8c Th]
Seat 1: NutStuN showed [Ts Qh] and lost with two pair, Queens and Tens
Seat 2: scuzks (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: copeton (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: milehighmc (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: drgnbttrfly folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Sohmurr showed [8h 8d] and won ($3.68) with three of a kind, Eights
Seat 7: wordyyoyo folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: robertove folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Alright, so here is my thinking. I limp early because I haven't been at the table long enough to know whether a raise will let me control the pot after flop. I call the raise because I hadn't seen seat 1 call my limp and thought I might be able to outplay seat 2 if he has overcards and how the flop textures if we're heads up post flop. So when the flop comes I check and expect to fold. But then I think of check raising since seat 2 checked and probably missed and it'll get seat 1 off a bluff or at least let me know where I'm at. Then seat 2 baffles me and check re-raises all in. After seat 1 folds I really consider folding. But here is the problem. If seat two had an overpair to the Q or a set of Q now, he'd most likely have raised pre-flop instead of limping. I figure if he has a Q (as he did) then he would have bet out straight instead of checking; same with the flush draw. The only hands I can really figure is something like AcKc where he has 15 outs twice or an open-ended straight draw + flush draw, but since I haven't been there long and am getting around 3.5:1 on a call I go ahead and call. I did get lucky by spiking the 8 on the turn, no question. But was I giving the player too much credit in reading him the way I did since it was a micro table and I had only been there 15 minutes or so? And was I "right" to make that call?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PF is fine, fold on the flop. The raise was bad and the call was worse. What sort of hand check raises all in that a pair of 8's beats?

Yes you are getting 3.5-1 pot odds, but your only like 8% ? to improve which makes this a really bad call.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's possible that the all-in saw the same as you and thought he could steal with nothing. Not out of the range of possibilities at this level.

But, not worth the call, until you've been at the table longer and suspected that he's the type of guy to do this.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands