KK facing all in reraise on flop

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, why are you playing @ 2 NL / 5NL. Seems to me it's much better to learn the game starting at 20 or 25 NL. The games there are soft enough to not get ran over like you would starting at 50NL, but also aggressive enough to get you the feel of cash games and what you need to improve.

Because some of us don't have the hundreds of dollars you'd require to play those stakes while sticking to decent BRM...:eek:

S

steveestewart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And if you play too much at the lowest stakes, aren't you in danger of acquiring some very bad automatisms?

Would anyone agree with this? I'm currently working my way up from $0 (not one of those $0-$1B challenges in 2 months, but just a slow and steady fun grind) and while playing the micros I'm finding I have to make calls I normally wouldn't make because I know they're just shoving all-in a pair w/ A kicker or something. Would you say playing these stakes hurt your game? Just frustrated that yesterday I lost 2 full buy-ins by landing a full house off the flop twice and shoving all-in and being called by high pair (QT and 74??). Of course, the next 2 table cards come down and hand them a higher full house. Just venting...

Anyway, would it be better for my game to just play super tight through these tables or to deposit more money and move up to some stakes where donks aren't an overwhelming majority?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The donks don't entirely disappear at higher stakes. Learn strategies based on who you're playing against, whatever the stakes.

Just keep in mind that things that work at tables full of players who don't know alot about the game will not work at tables full of players who are knowledgable, and vice versa. So, if completing small pp's in the sb is working at very low stakes against loose passive fish, it may not work well (I'd say "won't", but...) against (for example) tight aggressive regs.

C

crowhui

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to me, pocket KK should never be folded,unless a raise re-raise and re-re-raise,etc...you have always have better odds to go all in unless you run into pocket AA

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically you just don't have enough information at this point to make a fold. I would call this and expect to win the pot a high percentage of the time.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have raised more preflop.

It's an easy call but I would think he's got two pair...

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would anyone agree with this? I'm currently working my way up from $0 (not one of those $0-$1B challenges in 2 months, but just a slow and steady fun grind) and while playing the micros I'm finding I have to make calls I normally wouldn't make because I know they're just shoving all-in a pair w/ A kicker or something. Would you say playing these stakes hurt your game? Just frustrated that yesterday I lost 2 full buy-ins by landing a full house off the flop twice and shoving all-in and being called by high pair (QT and 74??). Of course, the next 2 table cards come down and hand them a higher full house. Just venting...

Anyway, would it be better for my game to just play super tight through these tables or to deposit more money and move up to some stakes where donks aren't an overwhelming majority?

The competition never, ever, ever gets easier by moving up. If you can't beat one level, you won't be beating the next level.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call of course, I doubt he has a set... I really think hes shoving with like top pair and thinks he has you beat, and even if you don't he isn't losing much if you call.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Entirely read dependent. Unless I've seen the player overbet with mediocre hands before, I think really, really hard about folding. If I had QQ or JJ, I'd definitely be folding. With KK, I probably bite my tongue and call, but I don't think folding is awful here either.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on your history with and your knowledge of this opponent. I would most likely call at this level with your stack size. Even if you are behind you still have outs, and you will be facing a bluff with such an overbet a good bit of the time. If you lose the hand, go ahead and reload with a full buyin.. hopefully this guy stays at the table! If he can beat kings, then why in the world is he trying to run you out of the hand? Many times when a low stakes player is doing this he has a decent hand but can't beat KK or AA. Good Luck to you!

S

steveestewart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The competition never, ever, ever gets easier by moving up. If you can't beat one level, you won't be beating the next level.

I'm not saying that the micros are unbeatable for me. In fact Ive won quite a bit of money so far... just not enough to move up to $1/$2 Tables (using proper BRM). I'm just questioning what the dude in my original post was saying. That playing these tables hurts your game, because when playing the higher stakes, Ive seen that its never easier, but its more proper strategy and poker and less of calling everything and hoping you hit something... I've learned how to just play super tight at the low tables and keep grinding it out.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread, but to the OP: I would agree, folding KK is never an option here for me. I would have assumed the same, that he had landed the high pair w/ a big kicker and was betting big to try and scare off your AK or high cards. 2 pair would be a problem, but your raise pre-flop SHOULD have scared off 39. A set would be my main concern, but I would have called anyway and just said a few curse words and reloaded.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not saying that the micros are unbeatable for me. In fact Ive won quite a bit of money so far... just not enough to move up to $1/$2 Tables (using proper BRM). I'm just questioning what the dude in my original post was saying. That playing these tables hurts your game, because when playing the higher stakes, Ive seen that its never easier, but its more proper strategy and poker and less of calling everything and hoping you hit something... I've learned how to just play super tight at the low tables and keep grinding it out.

You're right. The micros are going to be hard and you are going to see a lot of really stupid plays made by people who really don't respect the game, but those are the people who you are going to make the most money off of. That will be that way the whole way moving up the ranks. A lot of why the micros seem like they are so hard to beat for some people is because they are where you are starting off and you are learning. Many people at the micros are losing players because they play too many hands or they don't understand when to let go of a hand. You obviously(should) get better with this over time, but the opponents don't get any easier. Just look at the hand analysis section and you will see some of the same bonehead plays made at 2NL as are made at 200NL, because you will always get the fish to come in and play when they don't know what they're doing... No matter what you're doing in life, be it poker or sports or business, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.