did I do anything wrong....

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Total posts
I know this is a results-orientated question, but let me know.

$2/$3 NLHE, $100 buy-in. I'm button with 140, SB is usually tight but on a serious rush with around $300, LP is average and has about the same as me.
(I may have the suits wrong here, but the basics are correct)

Deal
[10h][10c]
fold around to LP, LP raises to 6. I reraise to 25, SB calls, BB folds, LP calls.

$78 Pot
Flop comes [7h][4c][7s]
SB checks, LP checks.
I push all-in with the overpair for 115 more.

SB calls, LP folds.
SB shows [7c][3s] for trip 7's

turn/river are blank for both of us.

Was I wrong to go all-in here? I have to bet, but was it too much?
I really didn't expect any PF caller to be holding a 7 (or a 4), given the amount of PF action.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Total posts
SB's preflop call of a raise and big re-raise out of position with 73o is just about the most horrible thing I've ever seen

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Total posts
SB's preflop call of a raise and big re-raise out of position with 73o is just about the most horrible thing I've ever seen

I wholly agree - it was a complete wacko play (and he knew it - he's an otherwise solid player who I'm friends with). I have a huge mental redflag on him now to watch out for when he's "playing a rush."

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Total posts
And I'd probably have made a small bet, something like 30. If you get check-raised you can pretty safely dump it. Even if someone had a 4, they check-raise here approximately never, obviously. And 88 or 99 would be out of their minds to check-raise as well, given the pre-flop action. So basically if you get check-raised, I think you can be something like 95% sure that you're beat and just dump it. If they call, you have position and can re-assess what they do and what comes on the turn. If either player has 88 or 99, they're drawing very slim, and while they'll probably call a ~$30 bet, you could sometimes lose them with an all-in.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Total posts
shut it down first

And I'd probably have made a small bet, something like 30. If you get check-raised you can pretty safely dump it. Even if someone had a 4, they check-raise here approximately never, obviously. And 88 or 99 would be out of their minds to check-raise as well, given the pre-flop action. So basically if you get check-raised, I think you can be something like 95% sure that you're beat and just dump it. If they call, you have position and can re-assess what they do and what comes on the turn. If either player has 88 or 99, they're drawing very slim, and while they'll probably call a ~$30 bet, you could sometimes lose them with an all-in.

The all-in was supposed to get both guys to fold - I'm happy taking down the pot at this stage. my problem was the chance that either opponent had AK/AQ/AJ - a $30 bet on an almost $80 pot and they'll call, because the odds are I didn't hit that flop either. As soon as an overcard hits, I might as well fold.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Total posts
well

even if you bet pot you are pretty much commited, about $75 in pot and you have $110 so leaving yourself $35 and he pushes you still have to make the call. So no I don't see how you could of played it different.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Total posts
The all-in was supposed to get both guys to fold - I'm happy taking down the pot at this stage. my problem was the chance that either opponent had AK/AQ/AJ - a $30 bet on an almost $80 pot and they'll call, because the odds are I didn't hit that flop either. As soon as an overcard hits, I might as well fold.

This is a cash game, not a tournament man. you WANT AK/AQ/AJ to call a $30 bet here. It is +EV for you. Theoretically, every time AK, AQ, or AJ calls, that is money in your pocket. Not to mention that you're in position for the rest of the hand