How bad did I mess this hand up start to finish?

H

highcardseven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I am playing in a live $1/$3 NL cash game match the stack. I have $650. Everyone is playing loose and mostly calling raises pre-flop. There is a guy that just sat down to my right a few hands ago that I have no clue about and has me covered. He mentioned that he is pissed about losing in Omaha so maybe he is tilting? I straddle the button for $6. Blinds limp. Player raises to $15 UTG+1. Everyone calls and I look down at 77. I thought about raising from $95-$120 but figured I would have to fight several players for a raised pot and a couple short stacks might make a stand. I elect to just call (probably first mistake). Blinds call so we have a family pot. Flop comes down T74 with 2 hearts. SB donk leads for $25. 6 callers call including the Omaha guy next to me in the Cutoff. I check raise to $175 (maybe a mistake not shoving all in). Everyone folds but the Omaha guy. Turn is an off suit 6. He pushes all in for his remaining stack and my $400 stack. Alarm bells told me he might have 89 but why would he shove there unless he was afraid of a flush. I ask him if I call if we can run it twice? He said sure. I call and of course he flips up 89 (last mistake). Turn and river brick and he wins a massive pot. I know I probably should have raised pre-flop. How bad did I screw this up?

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Do you want honest answer? 🙂
No, that wasn't bad screw up - that's a poker, you never know...
If you raised pre-flop maybe have some 20% chance that he would fold, but with his 89 and T74 on flop - you can't do anything and probably all of us do the same thing - I would with 777... 😉
Learn and forget this, till the next game...❤

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Not going to say anything about the straddle - thats part of live poker. As played this is a great spot to setmine. 77 is not a good 3-betting hand, unless you can jam, and you are much to deep for that with over 100BB effective.

Flop
Perfect size raise setting it up for a turn jam.

Turn
Easy call. Even if he has a straight, you have 10 outs to boat up, and you are almost getting the right odds to call. And he can also show up with some other hands, which you are ahead of.

Results
Perfectly played hand, which you lost. The only thing to learn from this is, that we will regularly lose in poker, even when we do everything right. Reload and play on.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It was just another bad moment. You made the right play considering your hand. But Poker knows how to be cruel to those who play well too.
You can't stop this and continue playing with the expectation of reaching the cash. If you want to get somewhere in Poker you have to take risks. And if you take a risk, some hands like this will definitely happen... Move on...

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Surviving a downswing and continuing to gain is a sign of class.You don't study poker as much as you should, you take an amateur approach to poker, and you're not as good at poker as you think you are.For some reason, the whole mental aspect of the game is often overlooked in the poker world. One reason may be that people tend to look for quick and easy solutions.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check raise to $175 (maybe a mistake not shoving all in).
Just want to elaborate a bit more about, why this was perfect sizing. Even with the crazy multiway action, where 7 players, or whatever it was, has put in $40 each, pot is still only $280. So if you shove for $625, its a 2X the size of the pot overbet. And we do not want to to this, since it loses us far to much value. If for instance someone has an overpair, we do not want them to fold.

If you were deeper, you could go larger than $175. But here its just about as large, as you can go, with making it obvious to everyone, that you are committed to this pot. And we want to leave people room to either come back over the top and think, they have fold equity, or more commonly call and feel, they can still potentially get away later. Or that maybe we will give up and let them get to showdown without investing more than another $150.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
You played your hand just fine, it just happens in poker.. On the side note, don't believe what people are saying in live poker. :D

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fact I think you made 1 mistake. Not having pushed all your money on the flop. And if someone proposes to run the board 2 times, it is better not to do it in this scenario! My advice is to be aggressive on these points. I play a lot live and see this a lot. Forget about balance at these tables. To give you an example of how live poker works, if I were the SB and had a very strong OTF hand I would have donk bet 1.5x pot. On this tables you must put the hook so that the weakest fish calls you!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I am playing in a live $1/$3 NL cash game match the stack. I have $650. Everyone is playing loose and mostly calling raises pre-flop. There is a guy that just sat down to my right a few hands ago that I have no clue about and has me covered. He mentioned that he is pissed about losing in Omaha so maybe he is tilting? I straddle the button for $6. Blinds limp. Player raises to $15 UTG+1. Everyone calls and I look down at 77. I thought about raising from $95-$120 but figured I would have to fight several players for a raised pot and a couple short stacks might make a stand. I elect to just call (probably first mistake). Blinds call so we have a family pot. Flop comes down T74 with 2 hearts. SB donk leads for $25. 6 callers call including the Omaha guy next to me in the Cutoff. I check raise to $175 (maybe a mistake not shoving all in). Everyone folds but the Omaha guy. Turn is an off suit 6. He pushes all in for his remaining stack and my $400 stack. Alarm bells told me he might have 89 but why would he shove there unless he was afraid of a flush. I ask him if I call if we can run it twice? He said sure. I call and of course he flips up 89 (last mistake). Turn and river brick and he wins a massive pot. I know I probably should have raised pre-flop. How bad did I screw this up?
The hand is okay. I'm more inclined to raise more preflop and to shove on the flop given this is a multi way ball. These things happen, don't worry about it and keep on moving.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands